PDA

View Full Version : iBook screen moves with mouse - OS 5.2

Gandalf47
May 17, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have a G4 iBook with a 1.07 MHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 60GB HD running Leopard OS X 5.2.

It has been running like a charm, and suddenly, the screen image starts moveing with the mouse - the desktop, all open windows, websites, everything. You can drag it to one side or the other, and still open and close applications, use them, use the web, send and received emails - everything, but the screen moves around with the mouse, and it is driving me crazy!

I have tried resetting all the settings - Power, Display, Appearance, etc.

I have reinstalled OS X 5.2

I have run Disk Warrior and got some errors:
"User differs on "Applications/ical.app/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, user is 502", and then several similar error messages regarding "Resources", always with "should be 0, user is 502"

In Macintosh HD/Users/oBookg4/Library/Preferences/ , Disk Warrior detected that "the Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired"
"XML parser error:
Unexpected character at line 1"

Everything else looks OK.

Any ideas? :confused:

Jiddick ExRex
May 17, 2008, 01:46 AM
Did you try:

Go to System Preferences --> Universal Access --> Turn off Zoom

?

Gandalf47
May 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
To Jiddick ExRex - THANK YOU! That never occurred to me - I am grateful to you.

Have a great weekend!

bsheridan
May 17, 2008, 12:18 PM
google is your friend!
always ask every question you can think of before resorting to reinstallation!:)

Jiddick ExRex
May 18, 2008, 05:32 AM
To Jiddick ExRex - THANK YOU! That never occurred to me - I am grateful to you.

Have a great weekend!

No problem. I have myself had my share of problems with Universal Access ^_^

Gandalf47
May 18, 2008, 11:32 PM
I, too, am a proud owner of a MBP (15.4" Glossy), with a 23" Apple Cinema Display. It is the best of both worlds - it is a desktop at home, and a laptop on the road.

The iBook belongs to my wife, and, in retrospect, as she was trying to make the text larger using keyboard commands, the Zoom feature was activated, and, since I try not to use the universal controls too much, it didn't occur to me to look there, though now it seems pretty obvious.

Again, thanks for the help - my wife was anxious to have her Mac back, working properly - she uses it all the time as she is disabled and it keeps her "in the loop" with her friends, helps her conduct business, and entertains her (she has a 22" Acer Widescreen Monitor).

In my household, we have my MBP, a 12" G4 iBook, a 13" G4 iBook, a 17" G4 Aluminum PowerBook. All have OSX 5.2, and we use the time capsule with one external 500GB USB drive for all of our wireless backups.

Last note - Four generations of my family are currently living, and I am fortunate enough to live in the same city as all of them - My mother (84) has a 17" iMac and uses it every day to stay in touch with her remaining relatives and friends; I (60) have the MBP and use it for work and play. I started with Parallels and XP on the Mac, but never use it anymore, because I don't have to - I can access my Windows PC at work remotely and do whatever I need to do for work on the Mac; my youngest brother (54) and his wife have a 13" IBook; my middle brother (58) has a 24" iMac, with all the trimmings; my two adult sons (35 & 31) have the G4 15" & 17" aluminum powerbooks and create art with CS3, and music with GarageBand and other programs, and, finally, my granddaughter (9) has a 13 " G4 iBook, which she uses for games and learning how to safely use the internet. She uses a Wacom tablet to draw using Photoshop, listens to music from iTunes, does some of her homework on it.

I guess you can tell - my family thinks Apple rocks, and so do I! I had one of the original Lisas, and had one of the autographed 84 Macintoshes that first came out. How far they have come!

Anybody remember 5 1/4 Floppys, and then the amazing 3 1/2 plastic "floppys" that we used with the old Macs.

Steve Jobs is one of my heroes. :apple:

MacHappytjg
May 18, 2008, 11:52 PM
next time hit control and unzoom on track pad mouse scroller or theres a short cut something i think its control/alt/- not sure ud have to check it out/ lol its amazing how ur whole family owns macs only me and my brother outta our family owns im trying to get my granny to get a mac mini since i dont wanna have to fix her pc or her spending money on nothing since the shop will only take some data put it somehwere and reformat and install xp its frusterating cause then she complains her stuff is missing uhg she didnt even have a virse thing on like errrrrrrrrrgggggg and then she asks what i did to her computer cause i put anti virse on it but its useless since some huge virse is preventing it to get rid of this other anti virse thats not doing anything why doesnt it die hopefully ill take it off her hands and put some linux on it or somthing and she get a mac mini erg:eek: but who ever the 9 year old is is lucky to have a tablet thingy cause i hate doing flash on mise

Auzburner
May 19, 2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah just ctrl + scroll does it - that will probably be the best option next time. haha nice...