Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
Hello,

I used to have the Apple TV 1.0 version back when it was released. Anyways I just bought the Apple TV 2.0 version and I am having some issues streaming my movies and music directly from my iTunes library.

I remember that on the 1.0 version I could stream videos instead of syncing. I have over 1TB in movies and cannot sync all of it to my Apple TV's 160GB Hard Drive.

My iTunes library is already connected to my Apple TV but everytime I click on "My Movies" (on the Apple TV) it says that I need to sync my movies from my iTunes library.

How can I bypass that? I do not want to copy my movies to the apple tv, just simply stream.

Thanks in advance.

mdburke

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
In the AppleTV section of iTunes, select Custom Sync from the Summary tab. Also uncheck Show only the synced items on my AppleTV. Under the Movies tab, uncheck everything.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I had that EXACT same problem, but I figured it out earlier today. It was that I didn't uncheck what the above poster mentioned in iTunes. Anyway, good post.

:apple:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Apple does not advertise/promote streaming your own movie to apple tv

Yeah, I did some searches on this form and found the same answers.

I tried Apple.com first with the search engine and Apple does not clearly point you in the right way with your to stream your own movies to apple tv.

I thought Apple products were supposed to be simple, just point and click and stream your external hard drive movies to Apple TV

It seams like Apple wants to you click and than pull out credit card to pay for movies instead of you using Blockbuster online/netflix to rip, transfer to external hard drive, add to iTunes Library and than stream.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
It seams like Apple wants to you click and than pull out credit card to pay for movies instead of you using Blockbuster online/netflix to rip, transfer to external hard drive, add to iTunes Library and than stream.
Gee, maybe because that's, strictly speaking, ILLEGAL. I can't imagine why Apple wouldn't promote it. But clearly you're correct: this is some kind of underhanded, subversive corporate behavior on Apple's part to try to coerce you into renting / buying content from the iTunes store. What are you smoking?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Gee, maybe because that's, strictly speaking, ILLEGAL. I can't imagine why Apple wouldn't promote it. But clearly you're correct: this is some kind of underhanded, subversive corporate behavior on Apple's part to try to coerce you into renting / buying content from the iTunes store. What are you smoking?

I'm just a little disappointed at the current selection of movies available for rent at this time. I purchased (I mean rented 3 movies the first weekend I had apple TV). I like the impulsiveness/on demand nature of Apple TV. I know it's not all Apple's fault for the selection of movies available. It's the greedy Hollywood executives who want to increase the movie profits by forcing more royalties down the consumers throats.

I mean 3.99/4.99 for movie rentals is fair. There is no physical store/customer service to pay for. There is no physical media to print to. Their profit margins are already high enough so I would not have to resort to these methods to enjoy movies on my Apple TV.

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
HK
Can't find Apple TV tab

In the AppleTV section of iTunes, select Custom Sync from the Summary tab. Also uncheck Show only the synced items on my AppleTV. Under the Movies tab, uncheck everything.

Hi,

Sorry for sounding daft, but on my macbook air (11.6") iTunes > preferences> i don't have any apple TV icon ?

Where is this icon you are mentioning ?

Thanks

Preetinder

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
HK
A Struggle

If you have your ATV synced, it will be under Devices.

How do you sync it..:confused:...

i connected the MBA and Apple TV 2.0 with USB and nothing happened,., when I switch on home share Apple TV sees my MBA but doesn't load anything. :(

I rented a movie on my MBA and its in my iTunes folder on the MBA, it appears I can only watch it on my laptop if I can't get this MBA/MBP and Apple TV to work together.

That'll be a shame !!! :mad:

Any ideas/experiences on how to make this work ? :eek:

Thanks

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
How do you sync it..:confused:...

i connected the MBA and Apple TV 2.0 with USB and nothing happened,., when I switch on home share Apple TV sees my MBA but doesn't load anything. :(

I rented a movie on my MBA and its in my iTunes folder on the MBA, it appears I can only watch it on my laptop if I can't get this MBA/MBP and Apple TV to work together.

That'll be a shame !!! :mad:

Any ideas/experiences on how to make this work ? :eek:

Thanks

Firstly, you have picked up a thread which is over 2 years old and the question from the OP related to the Apple TV 1st Generation, version 2 of that software. What you are talking about is the Apple TV 2nd Generation
As mentioned by others there are no syncing / streaming options for the 2nd Generation Apple TV and as such it will not appear under devices in iTunes - it is all controlled by Home Sharing. You have to make sure you are using the same Apple ID / iTunes account on both the laptop and the Apple TV for home sharing. You should then see your MBA under the Computer menu on the Apple TV

In relation to your rented movie on your MBA this will not appear on the ATV. Only locally stored media will be displayed from the Computer menu. You either rent from your MBA or rent from the Apple TV.
However, now with the advent of AirPlay you should be "push" the rented movie from iTunes on your MBA to the Apple TV - as long as home sharing is configured

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I mean 3.99/4.99 for movie rentals is fair. There is no physical store/customer service to pay for. There is no physical media to print to.
You really consider those prices as being fair?. Considering there is no physical store or media to print, that price point should be much lower. Not to mention you don't get to view any of the bonus material without a DVD.

And yes, I realize I replied to an old post.

Last edited:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
You really consider those prices as being fair?. Considering there is no physical store or media to print, that price point should be much lower. Not to mention you don't get to view any of the bonus material without a DVD.

And yes, I realize I replied to an old post.

Apple doesn't set the price point, they have to do what the studios demand at this time because they don't own the content. iTunes stores are a break even venture where Apple spends almost all of the revenue that is generated by the iTunes store to keep it running. They make their money from the hardware sales, and iTunes helps push that market.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I never said they do. I was just saying the price point was to high, especially when the are unlimited DVD and streaming services, based on a monthly fee that make more sense.

Movie and Music industry has never "Gotten" it with pricing. If it was $0.99 to rent, I would never buy another movie and would see EVERYTHING. I watched almost every movie I could get in my local RedBox, the price was worth it. ($1.49 for HD movies would be acceptable).

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
If it was $0.99 to rent, I would never buy another movie and would see EVERYTHING.
Even at $0.99, that's expensive when you have unlimited streaming services for $7.99 a month. With that said, I would probably rent more movies from iTunes if they were all $0.99 each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.