Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charliecraig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hi,
I have a macbook intel core duo and it shut down in the middle of watching a youtube video. It will not startup freezes at grey screen with apple logo (no spinning disc). There are no abnormal sounds or extreme temperatures. The macbook is just over one year old.

I have tried the following:
Ran disk warrior 4 in target disc mode - no problems found
reintsalled os in target disc mode
I cannot get into single user mode as it just keeps asking to restart
I cannot run the os cd in the macbook as it keeps asking to restart

The only thing I can really do is run the hardware test and no problems are found.
When I do shift option and choose the cd to startup from, it just asks to restart.

I have tried resetting the pram and changing the ram.

When I go into verbose, it tells me there is a kernal panic and something like this ia32_MC1_stats invalid etc

The restart screen is the multilingial one 'need to restart your computer hold down the power button for several seconds or press restart'

Can anyone advise?
Many thanks
C

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi,
I have a macbook intel core duo and it shut down in the middle of watching a youtube video. It will not startup freezes at grey screen with apple logo (no spinning disc). There are no abnormal sounds or extreme temperatures. The macbook is just over one year old.

I have tried the following:
Ran disk warrior 4 in target disc mode - no problems found
reintsalled os in target disc mode
I cannot get into single user mode as it just keeps asking to restart
I cannot run the os cd in the macbook as it keeps asking to restart

The only thing I can really do is run the hardware test and no problems are found.
When I do shift option and choose the cd to startup from, it just asks to restart.

I have tried resetting the pram and changing the ram.

When I go into verbose, it tells me there is a kernal panic and something like this ia32_MC1_stats invalid etc

The restart screen is the multilingial one 'need to restart your computer hold down the power button for several seconds or press restart'

Can anyone advise?
Many thanks
C

I am having a very similar problem with my iBook. It shut down while I was working and won't boot past the grey screen with Apple and no spinning spokes.

I was going to just reinstall the OS but I haven't gotten around to it yet as I do not have the discs with me.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I'd recommend you reset the PRAM (command + option + p + r at startup until you hear the startup chime again) and perhaps the PMU just to be thorough (remove battery, unplug it, hold down the power button for 5 seconds or so). Out of curiosity, what computer did you use to reinstall via target disk? If it was by any chance PPC, you didn't install the right one. Of course, you might just have a logic board problem, but if so, there's not much to do about it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Almost sounds like a potential system failure. My grandfather just had this happen to him as an update wiped his entire system folder clean of any data.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you are unable to restart on a CD and can see the hard drive in Target Disk Mode, then hardware failure is a virtual certainty. You've really done all you can -- Apple will need to look at this Mac.

charliecraig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'd recommend you reset the PRAM (command + option + p + r at startup until you hear the startup chime again) and perhaps the PMU just to be thorough (remove battery, unplug it, hold down the power button for 5 seconds or so). Out of curiosity, what computer did you use to reinstall via target disk? If it was by any chance PPC, you didn't install the right one. Of course, you might just have a logic board problem, but if so, there's not much to do about it.

Hi I already reset the PRAM and PMU. I used an INTEL Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz IMAC thanks

Sheeds

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Ottawa
I had this same problem, after trying everything I used my install disks to perform an archive and install, it hasn't had booting problems since.

Boot from install disks, continue when prompted to install and choose to Archive and Install. It takes awhile, but it's worth it.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Any type of reinstall (erase/install or archive/install) will fix the problem like many have stated. It's unlikely that it's a hardware failure since you didn't get a pre-boot kernel panic or startup icon - folder w/ question mark.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
Sounds like your hard drive is going bad and the OS is not loading. I had the same problem with my aluminum 24"iMac. I brought it to the Apple store and they repaired it. The hard drive failed on it. Matter of fact it occurred to me three times. The 3rd time Apple gave me a smack brand new iMac.

tarabooz

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
pre-boot kernel panic or startup icon - folder w/ question mark.

My Macbook will not boot up... can someone help all I get is a really bad low tone beep and a folder with a question mark.. I tried to boot using the option/command p r but it didn't do anything but make this sound and shut itself down.. Am I in harddrive failure. My machine is 4 years old. I am out of warranty.. should I cry now or later? HELP! someone!

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
My Macbook will not boot up... can someone help all I get is a really bad low tone beep and a folder with a question mark.. I tried to boot using the option/command p r but it didn't do anything but make this sound and shut itself down.. Am I in harddrive failure. My machine is 4 years old. I am out of warranty.. should I cry now or later? HELP! someone!

The folder/? means that it can't find a system folder to boot from. A vast majority of the time it's a hard drive failure.

4-5 years is about the average time for a hard drive to last depending on its use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.