PDA

View Full Version : Good mic for GarageBand on a MBP?

Phrasikleia
May 17, 2008, 04:06 PM
I've been having a lot of fun recording my songs in GarageBand, but I've been using the mics on my MBP and on my Logitech headset, both of which leave a lot to be desired. I did some searching on Amazon for mics and came up with a really mixed bag of reviews on most of them.

I figure this must be a topic that comes up a lot in this forum, so I'm sorry if it's akin to the "which camera should I buy" threads over in the Digital Photography forum. I'm hoping there is a mic that really stands out as recommendable for the enthusiast who is recording vocals and acoustic instruments.

I don't want to pay more than $100 for the mic, by the way.

Chairman Plow
May 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't want to pay more than $100 for the mic, by the way.

That sort of limits you though.... I don't recommend going overboard, but don't shortchange yourself on your mic. I suppose my first question should be: do you plan on using an audio interface? The better mics require phantom power, but there are also a few decent USB mics available if you just want to plug in and record. For example, look into the Samson C01U. If I'm not mistaken it's somewhere around 80 bucks. :cool:

Phrasikleia
May 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a USB mic in mind, yeah. Whatever I buy needs to travel to Europe with me this summer. I'm not sure what phantom power is, but it sounds heavy and probably dependent on a particular voltage.

Chairman Plow
May 18, 2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had a USB mic in mind, yeah. Whatever I buy needs to travel to Europe with me this summer. I'm not sure what phantom power is, but it sounds heavy and probably dependent on a particular voltage.

No problem at all. Most professional mics require phantom power (48 volts DC), provided by a mic preamp either separate from, or built into certain audio interfaces and mixing consoles. Since you're looking for a more portable solution, USB might be the way to go.

junior
May 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
No problem at all. Most professional mics require phantom power (48 volts DC), provided by a mic preamp either separate from, or built into certain audio interfaces and mixing consoles. Since you're looking for a more portable solution, USB might be the way to go.

I'd imagine the mic you recommended will be phantom power also, but getting the power via usb.
Off topic, but I can't believe how cheap it is. If only these things cost as little as it does when I first started out!
It's so easy for people to get good quality recordings nowadays without using a studio.

DJJONES
May 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
usb mics arent that great. there always geared toward the amateur.

if you do get a interface. a shure sm58 will do the job.

ive heard good things about akg perception 100 and 200.

i think they came out with a newer model 120 and 220.
also a rode nt1a.

Chairman Plow
May 18, 2008, 08:26 PM

if you do get a interface. a shure sm58 will do the job.

ive heard good things about akg perception 100 and 200.

i think they came out with a newer model 120 and 220.
also a rode nt1a.

I've tried the AKG perception, wasn't very impressed with it. I get a much better sound with the Sterling Audio ST55 running through my MBox2. Clean sounding and still portable.

DJJONES
May 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
o yeah the sterling audio st55.
another good one to add to the list.

i like the sound of the perception 200. im only assuming the 100 sounds good.

mbox 2 pre's? are they any good?

Phrasikleia
May 22, 2008, 11:58 PM

Um. I think I mentioned that I have thus far been using a Logitech headset to record myself. Now if that doesn't peg me as an amateur, I don't know what does!

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I decided to go with the Samson C01U, which does seem to get consistently good reviews--and which certainly will be a giant leap forward for me.

Chairman Plow
May 24, 2008, 03:04 AM
o yeah the sterling audio st55.
another good one to add to the list.

i like the sound of the perception 200. im only assuming the 100 sounds good.

mbox 2 pre's? are they any good?

So far no issues. I don't notice any distinct difference in my sound, and I've used the same mic through my old Digi 002 rack.