Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've been having a lot of fun recording my songs in GarageBand, but I've been using the mics on my MBP and on my Logitech headset, both of which leave a lot to be desired. I did some searching on Amazon for mics and came up with a really mixed bag of reviews on most of them.

I figure this must be a topic that comes up a lot in this forum, so I'm sorry if it's akin to the "which camera should I buy" threads over in the Digital Photography forum. I'm hoping there is a mic that really stands out as recommendable for the enthusiast who is recording vocals and acoustic instruments.

I don't want to pay more than $100 for the mic, by the way.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT
I don't want to pay more than $100 for the mic, by the way.

That sort of limits you though.... I don't recommend going overboard, but don't shortchange yourself on your mic. I suppose my first question should be: do you plan on using an audio interface? The better mics require phantom power, but there are also a few decent USB mics available if you just want to plug in and record. For example, look into the Samson C01U. If I'm not mistaken it's somewhere around 80 bucks. :cool:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for the reply. I had a USB mic in mind, yeah. Whatever I buy needs to travel to Europe with me this summer. I'm not sure what phantom power is, but it sounds heavy and probably dependent on a particular voltage.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT
Thanks for the reply. I had a USB mic in mind, yeah. Whatever I buy needs to travel to Europe with me this summer. I'm not sure what phantom power is, but it sounds heavy and probably dependent on a particular voltage.

No problem at all. Most professional mics require phantom power (48 volts DC), provided by a mic preamp either separate from, or built into certain audio interfaces and mixing consoles. Since you're looking for a more portable solution, USB might be the way to go.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
No problem at all. Most professional mics require phantom power (48 volts DC), provided by a mic preamp either separate from, or built into certain audio interfaces and mixing consoles. Since you're looking for a more portable solution, USB might be the way to go.

I'd imagine the mic you recommended will be phantom power also, but getting the power via usb.
Off topic, but I can't believe how cheap it is. If only these things cost as little as it does when I first started out!
It's so easy for people to get good quality recordings nowadays without using a studio.

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
usb mics arent that great. there always geared toward the amateur.

if you do get a interface. a shure sm58 will do the job.

ive heard good things about akg perception 100 and 200.

i think they came out with a newer model 120 and 220.
also a rode nt1a.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT

if you do get a interface. a shure sm58 will do the job.

ive heard good things about akg perception 100 and 200.

i think they came out with a newer model 120 and 220.
also a rode nt1a.

I've tried the AKG perception, wasn't very impressed with it. I get a much better sound with the Sterling Audio ST55 running through my MBox2. Clean sounding and still portable.

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
o yeah the sterling audio st55.
another good one to add to the list.

i like the sound of the perception 200. im only assuming the 100 sounds good.

mbox 2 pre's? are they any good?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

Um. I think I mentioned that I have thus far been using a Logitech headset to record myself. Now if that doesn't peg me as an amateur, I don't know what does!

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I decided to go with the Samson C01U, which does seem to get consistently good reviews--and which certainly will be a giant leap forward for me.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT
o yeah the sterling audio st55.
another good one to add to the list.

i like the sound of the perception 200. im only assuming the 100 sounds good.

mbox 2 pre's? are they any good?

So far no issues. I don't notice any distinct difference in my sound, and I've used the same mic through my old Digi 002 rack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.