PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive

MacSiggy
May 17, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm thinking about buying a WD My Book Studio 2 500GB for Logic Express projects:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W9KI42/pricerunner-21/ref=nosim

Is this an okay choice for external hard drive? I'm planning on using it purely for Logic Express recording and Final Cut Express projects, so I'll probably partition it to keep the files separate.

I'm planning on having it connected to the FW 800 on my iMac with an Apogee Duet in the FW 400 and another USB2 external HD for general storage. I'll mainly record guitar and vocals stuff.

TIA

Siggy

junior
May 17, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking about buying a WD My Book Studio 2 500GB for Logic Express projects:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W9KI42/pricerunner-21/ref=nosim

Is this an okay choice for external hard drive? I'm planning on using it purely for Logic Express recording and Final Cut Express projects, so I'll probably partition it to keep the files separate.

I'm planning on having it connected to the FW 800 on my iMac with an Apogee Duet in the FW 400 and another USB2 external HD for general storage. I'll mainly record guitar and vocals stuff.

TIA

Siggy

I generally buy an external case of my choice and a Seagate drive separately, but I guess getting an all in one unit would probably suit most.
I have to say, I've often read criticisms of WD so personally I'm wary of their products.

WinterMute
May 18, 2008, 12:22 PM
I've had good results with the LaCie FW800 drives, particularly the triple interface version, very solid performer with no issues at all in the 3 drives I've used for project work.

No idea about the WD I'm afraid, but the set-up you describe should work fine.

DJJONES
May 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
i agree lacie drives are great.
ive owned mine for over 3 years pretty solid so far.
there also made out of an aluminum case well most of them that help dissipate the heat.

newegg.com may have some good prices on them

MacSiggy
May 19, 2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the comments, I think I'm going to take your advice and go with the Lacie. I've read a few bad reviews of the WD My Book, especially being noisy which is something we need to avoid.

rallycars
May 20, 2008, 06:59 AM
Definitely avoid any drive that uses two disks in one enclosure. I have two different types and they are both loud as hell but work well for data and samples when I am not recording audio. Also I have had two friends that had troubles with the power supply crapping out on their LaCie usb/fw400 drives a few years back, but maybe they've stepped their game up some since.