PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 12-inch batteries - third party?

powerbook911
May 17, 2008, 09:20 PM
My Powerbook 12-inch needs a new battery *again*. They don't seem to be very good. They lose a lot of capacity quickly.

I was considering at third party battery. Is this consider dangerous, risky to the computer? I thought about saving by doing this.

Or, I thought about spending the same amount and getting Other World Computing's, which has a bit more capacity than the official battery. Any experiences with those?

Thanks

Warbrain
May 17, 2008, 10:41 PM
My Powerbook 12-inch needs a new battery *again*. They don't seem to be very good. They lose a lot of capacity quickly.

I was considering at third party battery. Is this consider dangerous, risky to the computer? I thought about saving by doing this.

Or, I thought about spending the same amount and getting Other World Computing's, which has a bit more capacity than the official battery. Any experiences with those?

Thanks

OWC makes good batteries and they're a great company. The iBook battery I had was excellent. You'd make a good choice going through them.

colmaclean
May 20, 2008, 03:37 AM
I'm in the same situation - looking for a replacement PB G4 12" battery. This will be my fourth replacement!

Anyway, decided to have a look on Froogle for a decent deal in the UK. Found a lot of websites offering third-party batteries. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be wishing me a "Merry Christmas" (in May!) which makes me think my credit card may start logging spurious transactions from Colombia...

Anyone offer some guidance here?

alphaod
May 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
If your out of warranty, then yes a third party battery makes sense; there are different quality controls (if any) for third party batteries, so be wary; don't buy it 'cause it's cheaper.

powerbook911
May 23, 2008, 01:08 AM
Ok, seems like it's down to an Apple Battery, or OWC.

Does OWC's match completely 100 percent? Is the outside bottom made of aluminium just like the Powerbook, and does the rubber foot look basically the same?

For basically the same cost, be nice to get the extra capacity, if it looks pretty much identical?

Thanks.

Tholian
May 23, 2008, 01:29 AM
I've used OWC many times for batteries and they make quality products. I've not used them for your model, but every time I have used them they have matched the machine I was buying for very well.

Hope this helps.