Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanut71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I purchased a new Airport Extreme wireless router and successfully got connected to my Macbook for in home use. I have a Dell Dimension 4700c desktop with an airport card and wireless Dell USB adaptor which was successfully operating using a 3 year old D-Link wireless router. The Dell will not recognize the new Airport Extreme. I have tried to change the channel of the Airport, tried renaming the network, unplugging and resetting the cable modem, unplugging the cordless phone to no avail. The interesting thing is that the Dell recognizes other networks in my neighborhood(and even allows poor connectivity at times) but not my own Airport. Dell won't provide any help since the unit is out of warrranty. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wildbill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
I don't know if we have the same issue, but I bought a new AEBS to replace a failing Linksys G router. I was using a USB Linksys adaptor (about 4-5 years old) for a Dell Dimension computer that was upstairs from the router. I couldn't get the USB adaptor to see the Airport's wireless network. I tried removing all encryption, changing channels, using the adaptor's wireless software to try and find it, but no luck. It would connect to my neighbor's wireless without a problem, but it couldn't ever see the Airport's network. We did try my fiance's dell laptop from work, which is about 1 year old, and it would connect without a problem. To get around this issue, what I did was connect the old linksys router to one of the AEBS's lan ports, and then had the computer connect to that network instead. I have since purchased an Airport Express to replace the USB adaptor, so I don't need to worry about my old router anymore.

I know this doesn't help, but I believe there is some compatibility issues with some older wireless adaptors out there. The folks here might be able to help you more than I have, they provided several suggestions when I posed this question awhile ago.

peanut71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
wildbill

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Apple support says that it is a Dell issue and Dell refuses to provide any support for the AEBS. I am curious about your solution using the Airport Express. Does your Dell connect to the AE via USB?
Does the AE then connect to your cable modem or does it communicate wirelessly to your AEBS?

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I think he may be talking about extending his wireless network with an airport express. The ethernet port on the AE travels both ways, whether creating a wireless network from the wire, or turning a wireless network to convert back to wired connection.

wildbill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
I think he may be talking about extending his wireless network with an airport express. The ethernet port on the AE travels both ways, whether creating a wireless network from the wire, or turning a wireless network to convert back to wired connection.

Yep, this is exactly what I did. I created a network using the Extreme, and then 'extended' the network using the express. I have the Dell plugged into the Express using the ethernet port, so it thinks that its connected using a wired connection (btw, the directions that came with the Express doesn't describe this setup).

I know this doesn't help you in your current situation. I had intentions to purchase an Express after I got rid of my failing linksys router and replaced it with an Extreme, but I was going to use the linksys UBS adaptor for awhile until I was sure that the Extreme was going to be stable. Since the USB adaptor didn't work it just hastened my purchase of the Express.

Again there might be other solutions out there to get the USB adaptor working, but I could not figure them out.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
Have you ensured that you have Wireless N w/ B + G enabled? Maybe your Dell doesn't handle wireless N and you only have N set up. I can't imagine why a Dell wouldn't connect to a wireless connection.

peanut71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
After working with a Dell tech for 1.5 hrs, an Apple tech for 1 hour, a MacMall tech for 1 hour, and an ISP tech for another hour all techs agreed that the AEBS was incompatible with the Dell even though it is supposed to be. Macmall arranged for a return and I am going with a new D-Link router. Thanks for all the suggestions.
peanut71

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
sorry to hear that, the AEBS is a great router. Seems a lot faster than my old (but still fully functional) Netgear. Good luck with the setup! :)

wildbill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
If you are going with the D-Link 655 or the new gaming router that has the dual band capability I think you'll be just fine. That was going to be my next option if I decided on not getting the extreme and express combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.