Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not sure if this computer is completely hosed, but i've trying reinstalling OSX Leopard on the Machine and everything time i boot to the cd to reinstall it says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" then says please read before you install. This is a retail copy of leopard.. i can go to system profiler and look at the specs it is a 2.2 white macbook and another problem i was going to ask.. On apple's apple care site can't seem to bring up the warranty information it cant find the serial number even though this is a 2.2 and they havnt even been out a year, and the guy told me he bought it at the end of March in the refrub store anyone else have issues like this?

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
First I've heard, since I had a MB 2.16 with Tiger, then Leopard. My current BlackBook came with Leopard. I even upgraded to Leopard from Tiger on my Mac Pro 3.0. :confused:

well its not letting me install leopard on it i dont understand why its a 2.2 macbook with a gig of ram?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Do you have the original restore disks for the MB? It might be the case that your MB 2.2 originally shipped with Leopard and actually requires the original restore disks.

Is your retail Leopard disk version 10.5 or 10.5.2?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
If it is the 2.2 than it should have come with leopard installed. Do you have the restore disks?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I bought the mid-range MB 2.16 in August '08 and it had Tiger, so it sounds like his/her MB 2.2 has Tiger on it at present. As the other posters ^^^^^ have mentioned, you may need to go back to the restore disks. Hopefully you received those; if not you can buy them from Apple Store for about $17 plus tax. :(

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I bought the mid-range MB 2.16 in August '08 and it had Tiger, so it sounds like his/her MB 2.2 has Tiger on it at present. As the other posters ^^^^^ have mentioned, you may need to go back to the restore disks. Hopefully you received those; if not you can buy them from Apple Store for about $17 plus tax. :(

No the computer came loaded with leopard, i did a disk utility erase of the HD then went to reinstall the OS. I've done this a million times with past laptops.. but this one is giving me issues. And i dont understand about the apple care serial number not coming up..

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
You mentioned you have a retail version of Leopard, but, do you have the original disks that came with the computer. Did the seller include these? They are the resore disks, and will get the computer back to its original state. These are the disks I would try. I don't understand why it won't let you install Leopard, with the retail disks. Maybe it needs to check something on the restore disks first.

As for the Serial Number, I would just call Apple. I know Apple uses a different set of numbers on the Refurbs, but it should still show up.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver

Leopard never came pre-installed until after Nov. 1 with the SR release. If it is a 2.2 it will have Leopard on it.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Leopard never came pre-installed until after Nov. 1 with the SR release. If it is a 2.2 it will have Leopard on it.

Just to update to everyone.. Apple told me that on computers that have 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 you have to have the reinstall disc or you have to have a 10.5.1 retail disc. i have a 10.5 and it wont work for reinstall which i think is pretty dumb. But the warranty they said check back with apple later on the week over the phone and they should be able to fix me up

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks Bobioden, I wasn't certain of the release date of the 2.2. But now I'm hearing that the OP has to wait until next week to have Apple address the issue? I think some of the earlier posters ^^^ kept mentioning the restore disks, so that sounds like that's what will happen. I know they charge $17 or there-abouts, for the full set. But what's the OP using in the meantime? :eek::confused:

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks Bobioden, I wasn't certain of the release date of the 2.2. But now I'm hearing that the OP has to wait until next week to have Apple address the issue? I think some of the earlier posters ^^^ kept mentioning the restore disks, so that sounds like that's what will happen. I know they charge $17 or there-abouts, for the full set. But what's the OP using in the meantime? :eek::confused:

Apple installed a copy of leopard for me at the applestore till i get my restore disc back.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Just to update to everyone.. Apple told me that on computers that have 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 you have to have the reinstall disc or you have to have a 10.5.1 retail disc. i have a 10.5 and it wont work for reinstall which i think is pretty dumb. But the warranty they said check back with apple later on the week over the phone and they should be able to fix me up

That's true unless you format the hard drive... that's what I generally do on a computer like that anyway.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
why cant you install a leopard disk without the restore ones? that sounds really inconvenient. is it a pirating issue or something?

yeah that was my big issue with the whole situation.. but apple store genius that i talked to informed me if computer released after a newer OS. You have reinstall from the either restore disc the computer came with or like in my situation 10.5.1 or greater

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Weird, you should be able to reinstall Leopard from Retail disc as well and not only Restore discs.

I agree, seems like they are making you jump through some extra hoops.

You guys need to read closer. As josh explained, you can't install a version of the OS that is older (i.e released before) than the version that shipped with your mac. I would think maybe because drivers wouldn't exist in the older versions???

For example, my new Blackbook came with 10.5.2 - I won't be able to install a retail or any other version of 10.5.0

uberjason

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Woodbury, MN
I bet it's the x3100 video driver not being on the leopard retail dvd. SR2.2 macbook has x3100 video not gma950 like driver included on leopard dvd.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
I bet it's the x3100 video driver not being on the leopard retail dvd. SR2.2 macbook has x3100 video not gma950 like driver included on leopard dvd.

AppleCare Support was very specific when I called and told them that my wife may have thrown out my restore/reinstall disks. But, on the upside, it only costs $17 for my specific BlackBook. Even better, we found the disks in the recycling bin on the curb in front of the house! :eek:;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.