Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
i need more usb ports. Im buying a powermate, and all of my ports are already taken. On ebay, some are going for as little as 5 dollers. They say that the hubs arent powered. Does this matter? im just gonna connect my dig camera, isub, and powermate to it. Do i need to spend extra money on a powered hub?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yes. A USB device can only get 500ma at most from the bus. So a bus-powered hub can only draw that much, just like any other device. But the devices you put on that hub may each be looking for up to 500ma - short answer is, the hub may not be able to supply the power needs of all the devices.

Simple math: 4 ports x 500ma max current = potential draw of 2 amps

Edit: Just looked this up. If your hub is bus-powered, devices connected to it are limited (by the USB spec) to drawing 100ma or less. So that's another argument for getting a hub with an external power supply. Even if you don't think you'll ever have that many devices connected, if any one of them wants more than 100ma it won't work.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I would say yes, because there have been cases of people's USB ports being burned out from constant draw from USB devices. A powered hub requires no power from the computer, and therefore would eliminate the risk of this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.