PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the Trackpad ribbon clamp connector and cable.[/COLOR] powerbook G4?

redsquash
May 18, 2008, 09:33 AM
I need specific and extensive guidance on what looks like a simple disconnection.I have never done this.
I need to remove the Trackpad ribbon clamp connector and cable.
Moving the connector more than 2mm will damage it.

Ah ibook owner wrote the following,below, but as my Powerbook G4 17 inch is bigger ,I am hoping I have more room to work and a lower chance to screw up

Broke iBook Trackpad Ribbon Clamp Connector, too
iBook (dual USB):
I, too, just broke-off my trackpad ribbon clamp connector from the logic board, while replacing my hard drive. Does anyone have any answers to the original message? If I were to take my iBook to an Apple repair shop, would they be able to resolder the connector, or must I replace the logic board?

The p3 instructions from ifixit seem a little too succinct for my novice liking.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-17-Inch/SuperDrive/55/8/
As the Uj846 drive tends to fail quite regularly, according to others, this information will be very helpful.
Thanks in advance

redsquash
May 26, 2008, 07:32 AM
Do I remove the clamps by lifting vertically or sliding them toward me, assuming the notebook is flat on a table?

6R3ND3L
Jul 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
I assume you have found your answer.

there is a nice but incomplete guide:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Manuals/17-inch-powerbook-manual.pdf

that shows off what IFIXIT does not and that is the small trackpad/keyboard connector. page #8 of the powerbook medic manual shows the small connector

there are 2 dark color pieces of plastic that you need to slide away from you slowly and gently. this allows the ribbon to be pulled out. odd in their design as it has not connectors it just slides into the space provided.

oh and make sure the ribbon goes back through the same hole it slid around from to make the keyboard/trackpad accessible. hate to have it squished when putting it back together.

cheers :)

redsquash
Jul 7, 2008, 05:01 AM
In my case the clamps slide towards me.
Use of finger nails was the best tool