Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
The SSD drives are the same size as any laptop drive, so yes you can, and it would be very easy to swap it out.

My question is: why? They're ridiculously expensive and have a very limited capacity. I'm just curious as to what your motivation is when considering getting one.

JNB

macrumors 604
Actually, a 16-32GB SSD boot drive in addition to a larger traditional HDD would be kinda nice.

My System & Library take right at 12GB. Users adds a wrinkle size-wise, but nothing unmanageable. Might be handy to have all the system processes & such up and running with the system idle in 10-15 seconds. Also, a good safety net: in the event of a mechanical failure of the HDD, the main system would still be there and useable.

Dennin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
The SSD drives are the same size as any laptop drive, so yes you can, and it would be very easy to swap it out.

My question is: why? They're ridiculously expensive and have a very limited capacity. I'm just curious as to what your motivation is when considering getting one.

Well, they are ridiculously faster from the tests I have seen and much more sturdy than a regular hard drive. Isn't there a 128gb solid state? I have a 120gb hard drive right now so, the 128 is perfect.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Well, they are ridiculously faster from the tests I have seen and much more sturdy than a regular hard drive. Isn't there a 128gb solid state? I have a 120gb hard drive right now so, the 128 is perfect.

Are you aware that the 64 GB alone is a grand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.