PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike Suggestions

atad6
May 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'd like to look into getting a road bike so I don't have to use my car as much around town or my short commute to work. I'm not sure where to start looking and I know there's quite a range in price with different brands/types. I have no problem spending a bit more on a bike that will last but would rather save money if possible at the same time. I'm not exactly sure of price ranges either so if someone could help point me in the correct direction so I can become a bit more educated before looking to make a purchase that'd be great.

I also run marathons and would like to perhaps get into biking more as a form of alternate training and possibly triathlons. If that type of use would really cause the expense to go up I'd rather stick to my original use, an affordable quality road bike for short trips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has experience switching to biking or buying for the first time that'd be great too.

it5five
May 18, 2008, 03:28 PM
Well, I'd recommend looking at a "commuter" bike if you're going to be using it to ride to work a lot, since road bikes can get pretty uncomfortable (at least it did for me, even for short rides).

I was in the same position as you. I live close enough to my work and school to commute by bike. I had a road bike for a few months, but it broke (it was a cheap bike that I bought used; mistake), and decided that I didn't want to do the road bike again.

If you plan on using the bike mostly for commuting, I'd recommend taking a look at these bikes (http://breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm). They are designed with commuting in mind. They allow you to sit in a much more comfortable position and most models have dnyamo powered lights included for any night commuting you'll be doing.

PlaceofDis
May 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
i love my Giant. great bike. but specialized and cannondale are good as well, in terms of brands at least.

schwinn's quality really has gone down so i would probably stay away from them.

the entry level bikes are all going to be pretty similar in terms of build quality and parts though. mine is an entry level and i'm just fine with it. (i'm not a hardcore roadie :p)

WildCowboy
May 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
Entry-level for a decent new road bike is about $600-$800. I ride a Masi Alare and my wife rides a Giant OCR3, both in that price range. We've been happy with ours for tri training, but you obviously do get what you pay for in many cases. Upgrading components and moving to lighter frame constructions quickly raises the price, and I'm not sure what kind of upper limit you're thinking about.

atad6
May 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'd like to spend a thousand or less. I know that severely limits the choices but I think I'll be able to get a good balance of what I need vs cost. Has anyone had experience with trek bikes. I've read good reviews of the 1000 series which is around 1000.

erickkoch
May 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
I just bought a Diamondback Insight 3 hybrid commuter bike two weeks ago. Cost $700 and I bought a rear rack and basket attachment for trips to the store. It's fast and comfortable. I've put about 100 miles on it so far, only complaint is that the shifters are a little rough so I need to take it back for a tune-up.

If you're looking to ride marathons I wouldn't recommend this bike, it's strictly an urban bike.

XIII
May 18, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd like to spend a thousand or less. I know that severely limits the choices but I think I'll be able to get a good balance of what I need vs cost. Has anyone had experience with trek bikes. I've read good reviews of the 1000 series which is around 1000.

I have a Trek roadie I bought a couple of years ago for 550ish, and have spent god knows how much on various parts and upgraded components :o I love it to bits, it's been very good, and I am very pleased with my decision. Best thing to do is find a good bike shop which has a range of bikes, and take any you might be interested in for a ride. I quickly was able to make up my mind once I'd ridden the ones I was interested in. As for road bike/commuter.. I also faced that decision, and opted for the road bike - simply because I find it much faster and more fun.. I enjoy riding it a lot. That made the difference for me, and I'm glad I bought what I did. Very personal decision though, try them out!

Roger1
May 18, 2008, 05:38 PM
Kent has a nice road bike out. It's 21 speed, aluminum frame, and it looks pretty nice. It's prices in around $200, and would probably be a good starter for you. They aren't branded as Kent, though. The one I'm looking at is a GMC (yep, they licensed from GM). In fact, I'm hoping my wife will get the hint that I want one for father's day :)

Here's a link.
http://kentbicycles.com/bikes_gmc.html

I have last years version of the Topkick mountain bike, and it's great. Naturally, if I was a serious rider, I would get somthing else, but for the kicking around I do, it's fine.