Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deafperception

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
I've been trying to install SP3 into my Windows XP Professional. It is a cumulative update that is offered through Windows Update. Everytime (15 times now I think) I try to run the installation I get an error window titled "Service Pack 3 Setup Error". The error reads,

"There is not enough disk space on C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ to install Service Pack 3. Setup requires a minimum or 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive the files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 additional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again."

Currently I have 133 gigs of free space.

This is a routine reformat for me. I just reinstalled windows yesterday and was offered this new update. The update works great on my Toshiba Laptop.

I'm running a Mac Pro using Bootcamp w/
2 2.66 Dual Core Intel Processors
7gigs of ram (windows only sees 2 though as I'm sure we all know now)
150gig Raptor HD @ 10,000 RPM (separate HD dedicated for windows)
ATI Radeon X 1900 w/ 512 ram
Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT

I've tried running the update multiple times from the Windows Update website itself as well as downloaded the update onto my desktop and have tried running it from there. Both methods give the same error message.

I've tried editing my registry by going to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" and adding a new string value named "BootDir" and setting its value to C:\ which was a solution posted on other forums. Didn't change a thing.

I've tried running disk cleanup just in case it had a problem with any of the other temp files. This also did not seem to help.

I was really looking forward to getting this update on my mac pro running. If anyone knows about a solution, I could really use your help. Thanks.

-john

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.