Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kclasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hollywood
Any help appreciated.

I have a Dell XPS420 desktop connected to the internet routed through an Airport Extreme Base Station. The desktop does not use a wireless connection.

I just purchased an Airport Express unit to hook up to my stereo and play Itunes from my Dell. However, I can't see anything on the Dell to do this. I loaded the software that came with the Express.

To note, I have a Mac Book that recognizes the Express unit and I'm able to play wirelessly to the stereo.

Thanks

kclasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hollywood
Airport Express is blinking Amber

Airport Express is blinking Amber

Thought I should mention this. Still odd that I can connect to it via my two wireless mac laptops, but not the PC I installed the CD/software on - which as I mentioned is hooked directly to the Extreme Bas Station (not a wireless connection)

Hope someone can lend a hand on this.
Thanks

wildbill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
I am new to both the Extreme or the Express, but I can try to assist.

When you connect the Macbook and can stream its music, how are you connecting to the Express? Are you wired or are you connected wirelessly to the Express? If you are connected wirelessly, are you connecting to the express' wireless network, or the extreme's? When you open the Airport Utility on your Macbook do you see both the express and the extreme in the left hand list? How about when you do the same on your Dell? If the light is blinking amber on the express it sounds to me as it can't find your Extreme base station's network to connect to, and that's why you can't get to it.

I just connected a new Express this weekend to share the Extreme's internet connection. What I had to do was extend the Extreme's wireless network, and then connect the Express to the that network. Once it restarted, the light switched to green, and I could connect to the internet. Though I have not used the music streaming capability (and I know folks have had issues with this) I think if the two units are on the same network, your Dell should be able to see it.

Mind you I am a noobie at this, so if someone out there sees fault in my logic, please say so.

kclasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hollywood
still trying

Thanks fo your help. I think you are probably correct, I just don't know how to establish or extend the "exteme's" network from my PC in order to let the "express" onto it.

All the macbooks are connected wirelessly and when I connect them directly to the "express" (bypassing the "extreme" connected to the Dell), the macbooks play music through the "express" fine.

However, I want to play Itunes with my DELL through the "express", nothing yet. I may have to get a pro into take a look and configure for me. Wish it wasn't this hard!@#$%

Thanks for your thinking, it seems correct.

mfgheel

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
re: still trying

Wildbill has it right. From what you described, this is what's happening:

- Your desktop is hardwired into the Airport Extreme via ethernet cable.
- The Airport Extreme is also throwing out a wireless network.
- The Airport Express is throwing out ITS OWN wireless network.
- The Airport Express is not connecting to the Airport Extreme's wireless network. This is why you're getting a flashing amber light.
- Your macbook is connecting to the Airport Express's wireless network when you play music through AirTunes.
- Your desktop can't connect to the Airport Express's wireless network because it doesn't have wireless capability.

Here's what you need to do:

- Set up your Airport Extreme's wireless network if you haven't done so already. You should secure this network with a WPA/WPA2 password.
- Configure your Airport Express to JOIN an existing wireless network instead of creating its own wireless network. Have the Express join the Extreme's wireless network.
- Now your desktop can use AirTunes to play music on your stereo.
- Your macbook can do the same by joining the Extreme's wireless network.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.