Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Hi all,

I have collected quite a few wallpapers of sceneries and whatnot from around the world. I like to cycle these every 15 minutes just to break the concentration a bit when I am working too seriously on a project. What I would like to do is go back and add a text label to these, say at the bottom left with a short description of what/where it is I am looking at.

I am studying web design, but not graphics design, so something like photoshop is not even an option. I have a version of gimp installed, and was really thinking about looking at pixelmator later.

Is this/ or what do I need, and what would be the basic steps to accomplish this. I have a 24" iMac ALU and all of my wallpapers are 1920x1200.

Again - my graphics background is limited to drawing straight lines with a ruler. Thanks - be gentle.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
If all you need to do is put labels on the photos, just open them up and type the label wherever you want it, then close it. I've never used Gimp, but I'm sure there's a text tool in it.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
It really is that easy. As long as the photos are where they should be in your directory, you can do whatever you want to them and they will display.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
web design IS graphic design. Unless you mean web developing like PHP then I dont know how you can get by with webdesign without knowing graphic applications like Photoshop.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
First, mashny - you are right - it is that easy. Gimp wasn't that obvious, but in Pixelmator it was - that has sold me on that program!

stainless... - sorry for misleading anyone on what I am working on learning. What I am learning is css/html/xhtml/server-side, etc stuff. The programming end of things, not the graphics end of things. I'll have to leave that to an expert in that area. I'll learn how to use their designs (legally of course, or in concert with), but not create them. It's not my strength, obviously, and why I don't want to pay 650US for a program to edit wallpapers.

I posted here to get an experts advice on where to start, and got it.

Thanks again

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Glad I could help. I do all my photo editing in Photoshop--I've been using it for years--but Pixelmator looks very interesting, and for all it seems to offer, the price can't be beat.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
In that case youre a developer, you dont want to confuse that with designer when applying for a job heh

Heh, not looking for a job, just some part-time work of my choosing. Retired from the technology sector - been there - done that - own a lota t-shirts. Thanks for your input on my original question, btw. :rolleyes:

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Heh, not looking for a job, just some part-time work of my choosing. Retired from the technology sector - been there - done that - own a lota t-shirts. Thanks for your input on my original question, btw. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, what do you do now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.