Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Hody all,
i m trying to install Classic support under 10.3 Panther. Unfortunatly I haven't got a clue on how to do that. I bought Panther, and checked all of the cd s. thought I can't find an installer for the Classic support at all. There are however somethimes some things I need classic for. Any idea on how I can get it installed ?

[edit]
I found classic on the jaguar restore cd, which i got with my imac.
unfortunatly it is in french or german. I do need it in english...
anybody ?
[/edit]

wavecrest

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2003
Reading, UK
installing Classic

I had the same problem/need for Classic both to run some old s/w that has no OSX version and to install the originals that would let me run OSX-based updates.
I used the 'Software install and restore' disk from a version of 10.2 (10.2.7 in this case). The option to reinstall Classic worked a treat and everything is now running fine. (on't understand the language question: the only language choice in the 'reinstall' disk for is the language of the licence. I guess the programme will automatically select the base language used for the main - existing - OS10.3 installation?)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Re: installing Classic

Originally posted by wavecrest
I had the same problem/need for Classic both to run some old s/w that has no OSX version and to install the originals that would let me run OSX-based updates.
I used the 'Software install and restore' disk from a version of 10.2 (10.2.7 in this case). The option to reinstall Classic worked a treat and everything is now running fine. (on't understand the language question: the only language choice in the 'reinstall' disk for is the language of the licence. I guess the programme will automatically select the base language used for the main - existing - OS10.3 installation?)

You see, the problem is that I m living in Luxembourg, and that the PC's overhere are sold with as well an french as a german install disc. For Os X it is no problem, as the os is multi-language by default. But the Resore-dvds i got have either the french or the german classic. Thought that isn't a problem from the point of view of understanding it all, I don't like operating systems in another language than english. But well. Now I don't really know on how to install an english version. resp where to get it from. As when I went to a local store, they told me they couldn't sell os9 anymore, as they don't have it. And an english-restore-dvd can't be given away without a machine...

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Re: Re: installing Classic

Originally posted by maradong
You see, the problem is that I m living in Luxembourg, and that the PC's overhere are sold with as well an french as a german install disc. For Os X it is no problem, as the os is multi-language by default. But the Resore-dvds i got have either the french or the german classic. Thought that isn't a problem from the point of view of understanding it all, I don't like operating systems in another language than english. But well. Now I don't really know on how to install an english version. resp where to get it from. As when I went to a local store, they told me they couldn't sell os9 anymore, as they don't have it. And an english-restore-dvd can't be given away without a machine...

Mac OS 9 is no longer included with the retail version of Mac OS X (this started with Jaguar). However, you can get it for $20 if you bought the retail version of Panther, by downloading this order form, which is found on the Mac OS X upgrade webpage.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Re: installing Classic

Originally posted by wavecrest
I used the 'Software install and restore' disk from a version of 10.2 (10.2.7 in this case). The option to reinstall Classic worked a treat and everything is now running fine.

Wavecrest, Just wanted to thank you for this post, it was very helpful.

I tried to install Classic after Panther via 9.2.1 CD and it didn't like that much (HFS+ is why, I think) and then I saw your post about using the Software Restore CD (from 10.2)...ingenious and perfect.

If anyone else happens to read this, make sure you use the Software Restore CD and NOT the System Software CD. My powermac came with both and I almost blew away Panther....phew!

Thanks.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I wouldn't let you install Mac OS 9.2.1 after installing Mac OS X.3 because you cannot install an older OS on top of a new one. For example you cannot install Win. 95 over top of Win XP. (You may be able to do that...I was just making an example there!)

You must first install Mac OS 9 and then install Mac OS X. If you have newer Mac that will not boot from an OS 9 CD then you need to use your Software Restore CD or DVD that came with your Mac. After you have installed Mac OS X, see if you can install Classic support from it. If not then you'll have to install Mac OS 9 first and then install OS X which would tell me that you can boot from an OS 9 CD.

On my 1 GHz FP iMac I install Mac OS X.3 and then put in my Software Restore DVD and restored Classic (OS 9.2.2), and the other software that came with my iMac back on. (iDVD 3, AppleWorks 6, Quicken Deluxe 2003, Deimos Rising, Otto Matic, etc...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.