PDA

View Full Version : Apogee duet with Pro tools??

ashleyjnr
May 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi there
I recently bought an Apogee duet, and use logic studio on my mac pro.

I bought a M-audio Firewire 410 as my first interface a fews years ago. But only recently found out about Pro tools M-powered. (for those that are wondering, I am happy with logic, but do find it a bit cumbersome to work with the audio editor compared to PT - i.e. the elastic time in PT 7.4 is incredible - how do you do that in Logic - if it's possible I'd love to know??)

I know that PT M-powered is only compatible with M-audio hardware.

BUT.... would it be possible to connect the spidf outs from the M-audio 410 into the digital ins of my Mac pro (and likewise the spidf input to the digital output), and route that in and out of the apogee duet somehow??

Thanks for reading
AJ

Plumbstone
May 20, 2008, 04:01 AM
unfortunately the duet doesn't have any digital i/o and pro-tools will not recognise an aggregate device so it is not really possible.

If you convert or record your audio as apple loops rather than wavs or aiffs then they essentially become elastic.....

ashleyjnr
May 20, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for your reply plumbstone.

I might have misunderstood your reply..
unfortunately the duet doesn't have any digital i/o
But let me re-phrase my question. Does running PT m-powered disable core-audio? If not - could I send the digital output of PT (firewire 410) into the digital input on my MAC PRO - run an aggregate device (duet and digital ins/outs) and use the duet to convert the "digital input into core audio"??

If you convert or record your audio as apple loops rather than wavs or aiffs then they essentially become elastic.....

Sweet! thanks for the tip. Are apple loops the same quality as AIFF or WAV? Also can you then stretch individual sections? i.e if a harmony vocal didn't hold the note long enough, can you just stretch that note?

thanks AJ

oldskool978
Mar 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
the elastic time in PT 7.4 is incredible - how do you do that in Logic - if it's possible I'd love to know
AJ

Click View and select FLEX. if you thought elastic time was awesome then get ready to be blown away:cool:

ChrisA
Mar 30, 2010, 02:16 AM
I am happy with logic, but do find it a bit cumbersome to work with the audio editor compared to PT - i.e. the elastic time in PT 7.4 is incredible - how do you do that in Logic - if it's possible I'd love to know??)

Of course, any tool you do not know well will seem cumbersome to work with.

Logic's word for "elastic" is "Flex".

see the section called "Introducing Flex Time" this page
http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

deej999
Mar 30, 2010, 05:09 AM
really really good tut on flex time here -
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9104

Flex in Logic 9.1.1 is pretty powerful and more fully featured than a first glance.

deej