Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hidendra

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Well, I THINK it's the DC board, but just incase, I'll put it here.

Last month my old charger died (literally, it blew up.), so I got a generic one. It worked for a while then it wouldn't charge.
Basically it would charge for a second then stop, after about 5 minutes of crapping about with it it would stay charging.

Then like a week later it stopped doing this and with the generic charger it'd charge when plugged in right away, no fights.

Now today it decides to do it again, BUT it won't charge no matter how long I jiggle the wire around etc.

Would this be the DC board? I don't want to buy another charger finding out it's the DC board, or vice versa..
If it is the DC board, does anyone have a link to a site to show how to install a new one? If it's a big hassle, I might see if theres an apple shop around town.

Also: It does this with the battery out as well, so it's not the battery.

Thanks.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well, I THINK it's the DC board, but just incase, I'll put it here.

Last month my old charger died (literally, it blew up.), so I got a generic one. It worked for a while then it wouldn't charge.
Basically it would charge for a second then stop, after about 5 minutes of crapping about with it it would stay charging.

Then like a week later it stopped doing this and with the generic charger it'd charge when plugged in right away, no fights.

Now today it decides to do it again, BUT it won't charge no matter how long I jiggle the wire around etc.

Would this be the DC board? I don't want to buy another charger finding out it's the DC board, or vice versa..
If it is the DC board, does anyone have a link to a site to show how to install a new one? If it's a big hassle, I might see if theres an apple shop around town.

Also: It does this with the battery out as well, so it's not the battery.

Thanks.

That sounds like the DC in board. I had to replace that on my iBook and it's not that hard. GO to ifixit.com and find the part and it'll have instructions right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.