Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tocyk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
So this Thurs. I'm heading out to the Apple Store if I choose to buy a MacBook now. I figure that it is the best of it's model right now.

Would the hypothetical new Aluminum MacBooks count as a new model and have potential bugs like how the MBA was said to have?

I just want the best bang for my buck, and I COULD potentially wait til the newer MBs come out, but I wanted to know some of your guys' opinions. Having multitouch and maybe better specs doesn't seem too bad, but having a bug free top of the line MB now wouldn't be too bad either.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So this Thurs. I'm heading out to the Apple Store if I choose to buy a MacBook now. I figure that it is the best of it's model right now.

Would the hypothetical new Aluminum MacBooks count as a new model and have potential bugs like how the MBA was said to have?

I just want the best bang for my buck, and I COULD potentially wait til the newer MBs come out, but I wanted to know some of your guys' opinions. Having multitouch and maybe better specs doesn't seem too bad, but having a bug free top of the line MB now wouldn't be too bad either.

well id personally wait, but im not sure if the redesign is going to be only a redesign or if the specs are also going to change.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
How urgently do you need a MacBook? If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it right away, you may as well wait.

tocyk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I am in no rush, but would the new Aluminum MacBook have bugs? I mean, for a new model, it is bound to have some problems for being a first release right?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I got a MB a month ago precisely because I do not want the new model
with all the likely problems. Will move up to the new one on the second revision (at the earliest) and then sell this current MB while it still brings a good price.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
One would hope the next MacBooks are on the Montevina platform, which would give them a performance boost in CPU/FSB, memory and GPU speeds, so you might want to wait...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
impatient

I have a 12" powerbook (the last model) that I'll be replacing with a Macbook as soon as I see what the next upgrade is. If it's not spectacular, I can always buy the current model at a reduced price. Win-win.

That being said, if you NEED a computer, it's not worth it to wait.

Henry Evil

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I just ordered a macbook tonight. As far as the rumored redesign goes, it doesn't interest me. Metal? No thanks. Multi-touch pad? Not a necessity. The only thing I guess I'd be missing out on are slightly higher specs and a larger harddrive, but notebooks are CONSTANTLY being updated, no matter what you have, it'll always be out of date in a matter of months.

I ordered one because I need it now. Evaluate your needs and priorities, and whether you can wait for/prefer the redesign.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Smart

I just ordered a macbook tonight. As far as the rumored redesign goes, it doesn't interest me. Metal? No thanks. Multi-touch pad? Not a necessity. The only thing I guess I'd be missing out on are slightly higher specs and a larger harddrive, but notebooks are CONSTANTLY being updated, no matter what you have, it'll always be out of date in a matter of months.

I ordered one because I need it now. Evaluate your needs and priorities, and whether you can wait for/prefer the redesign.

Smart man here. Well said.

Upgrade if you need to. Wait until you actually need to.

diepc

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
now or later

as just about everybody said if you need it now, get it now if it is not a necessity, wait for the update. most bugs with new macs will be fixed with updates. also if you purchase the Apple Protection plan, all hardware issues will be covered by apple. Im not big on the aluminum look, but if the MBs got the new intel chipset, the faster fsb's and CPU's a would be nice, but dont expect any upgrades larger than 400MHz if that. however, the MB's may be getting the GMA X4500 graphics, it's still integrated, but its a little better than the current x3100. Im personally waiting until june to see what happens.:eek:

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I don't think you would regret buying now if you did. I just wouldn't drive to the Apple Store unless you want to buy though because once you get there it will be like heaven and you will be whipping out your payment method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.