Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markwise

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Almere / Netherlands
after two days it seems that TC has backed up 26 GB from my Macbook Air

MB by MB I saw it nibble away .
The little " clock icon" turning and turning.

Now even after back up is finalized the icon still turns .
Clicking on it shows a window stating " RESERVE kopie voltooien" That is
Dutch for " finalizing spare copy" Looking into TC preferences shows a blue white bar in a revolving motion ? so ther eis stil something running ?

Will the clock icon ever stop turning or will it remain turning to indicate that TC is contniously operating ?

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I did my first backup from my MB Pro to my TC last Friday. Although I did it wirelessly, the entire backup of 70+ gig was accomplished in less than 20 hours. Further, I have never seen nor heard of the “finalizing spare copy” notice. Thus, it appears that something may be amiss in your setup. Sorry I couldn’t provide any definitive help.

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
You might want to try erasing the disk in Airport Utility and starting the initial backup over again. I had to do that with one of my Time Capsules. I tried doing the initial backup wirelessly. It failed. Then I connected my MacBook Air with an ethernet cable to the TC for the initial backup. It failed. After erasing the TC hard drive and trying again, it worked.

I installed a second TC in a different location, and did the initial backup of about 40GB from a MacBook wirelessly, and had no issues.

I think there are some that work with no problems, and some that don't...

cecilworsley

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Wired or Wireless

You might want to try erasing the disk in Airport Utility and starting the initial backup over again. I had to do that with one of my Time Capsules. I tried doing the initial backup wirelessly. It failed. Then I connected my MacBook Air with an ethernet cable to the TC for the initial backup. It failed. After erasing the TC hard drive and trying again, it worked.

I installed a second TC in a different location, and did the initial backup of about 40GB from a MacBook wirelessly, and had no issues.

I think there are some that work with no problems, and some that don't...

Hello i now that this is an old thread but I have a MBP that will fail every time i try to wireless backup, both the TC and the MBP are brand new should i erase the TC and do the initial backup wired. If i do the initial backup wired will i then be able to do the incremental backups wireless!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Hello i now that this is an old thread but I have a MBP that will fail every time i try to wireless backup, both the TC and the MBP are brand new should i erase the TC and do the initial backup wired. If i do the initial backup wired will i then be able to do the incremental backups wireless!
After I got my TC, not quite 4 months ago, I did the first backup of about 80 GB wirelessly and it worked, although it took 20 hours. I got lucky. Network stability seems not to be the TC's strong suit. Thus, Apple knows whereof they speak when they recommend that the initial backup be done via Ethernet. I have had exponentially more network problems with my TC in less that 4 months of use than I had with its predecessor, a Belkin Pre-N wireless router, which I used for 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.