PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose a Macbook over a MBP

marbles
May 20, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi .

I read a thread re: why did you buy a MBP over Macbook
This had me wondering what thoughts you Macbook owners had regarding your choice over a MBP .

Why did you buy the Macbook and not the pro ?

I'm interested as I'm looking at both just now .

feelthefire
May 20, 2008, 04:30 PM
Portability, but this thread has been done 1000x. A search for something like MB vs MBP should give you a bajillion threads with every reason under the sun.

marbles
May 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
A search for something like MB vs MBP should give you a bajillion threads with every reason under the sun.

I thought so too but when I searched before posting this thread I didn't see much tbh .

The more reasons the better for me , many opinions makes light work of buying decisions !.

... a bijillion reasons sounds fine :p

xhambonex
May 20, 2008, 04:53 PM
Edit: My bad I thought this was the other thread. The Macbook doesn't have graphics card I needed, or a matte screen, or a bigger screen. But otherwise its a good computer. I do dislike the keyboard on the MB though.

jnc
May 20, 2008, 05:22 PM
Portability

It surprises me how close MBP and MB are for portability actually. The 15.4" MBP's footprint is about an inch and a half wider and half an inch longer than the 13.3" MacBook! And of course the MBP is the thinner of the two, while weighing only 0.4lb more. I think the small difference is down to the MacBook's clunky enclosure - they could definitely make it a bit thinner around the bezel (especially if it moves to LED)

marbles
May 20, 2008, 05:22 PM
Edit: My bad I thought this was the other thread. The Macbook doesn't have graphics card I needed, or a matte screen, or a bigger screen. But otherwise its a good computer. I do dislike the keyboard on the MB though.

I cannot work out your post ...

just to clarify for everyone ...

This is the:

Why did you buy the Macbook & >> NOT << the MBP

xhambonex
May 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
ya i posted originally cuz i thought it was the other thread. I got confused. I was required to get my mbp, I probably would have gotten a blackbook otherwise because it has about the same amount of power, and is small and more portable.

feelthefire
May 20, 2008, 08:45 PM
It surprises me how close MBP and MB are for portability actually. The 15.4" MBP's footprint is about an inch and a half wider and half an inch longer than the 13.3" MacBook! And of course the MBP is the thinner of the two, while weighing only 0.4lb more. I think the small difference is down to the MacBook's clunky enclosure - they could definitely make it a bit thinner around the bezel (especially if it moves to LED)

That increased footprint drastically increases the size of the sleeve needed to stick the computer in a bag, and I'm 5' tall and 90lbs, so the size of a bag is a relevant concern!

I find I can stick my macbook pretty much anywhere and i never notice I'm carrying it...not so with my MBP that my employer provided me.

youradhere4222
May 20, 2008, 08:51 PM
Do you have a link to the why did you buy a MBP and not a MacBook thread?

daneoni
May 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
Because i didn't see the point of wasting money buying a MBP when i already have an iMac. Made sense to just pick up the MacBook instead. Also portability, believe it or not the macbook is fairly easier to lug around than the MBP

jnc
May 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
Because i didn't see the point of wasting money buying a MBP when i already have an iMac. Made sense to just pick up the MacBook instead. Also portability, believe it or not the macbook is fairly easier to lug around than the MBP

iMacs, great great machines. I owned a white Core Duo, but unfortunately I needed portability at college and went for a MacBook.

Moving to a MacBook Pro before Fall - I am worried, i didn't think 0.4lb would be as big a difference as people are making out :( I'll be carrying it around semi-frequently I imagine. Time to start working out :eek:

eXan
May 20, 2008, 09:53 PM
Because MacBook Pros cost a lot more and I can't afford that.

discoforce
May 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
Pros for the MB...

- Price (low end MB is $900 US cheaper than low end MBP)
- umm... the last completely white or black mac choices...

I'm assuming you've checked the macrumors guide? Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_Pro (http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_Pro)

h0e0h
May 20, 2008, 10:08 PM
I bought a MB because I bought myself a college graduation gift in the form of an iMac and still needed a laptop. When all is said and done, I really love the BlackBook, much easier to carry than the 17" MBP... and best of all I get to use my Booq Bag again... unfortunately it was just a bit to small for the 17"

Abstract
May 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
Because based on the specs, the difference between a MB and MBP wasn't enough to get me to pay double for a MBP. In fact, I doubt I would even notice the difference between the two systems in terms of performance.

However, my next computer will be a 15" MBP. I want a matte screen, I want a different keyboard, and I want a high resolution 16?? x 1050 screen. Once the 15" MBP gets that higher-res screen, I'll buy it. Unfortunately, it may only come once a new MBP case redesign is released, which may bring us a new keyboard design as well. The PB and MBPs have always had the perfect keyboard, and I know that by waiting for a new model to be released, there's a good chance that the new model will have a chicklet keyboard like the MB and MBA.

Fuchal
May 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
1. size, it just feels so much smaller + lighter
2. plastic, i hate the hot and sticky aluminum. the plastic feels great.
3. price, much cheaper, barely any different

that said i use a black macbook at home and a 17" macbook pro at work

definitely pros to both. many times i miss the size of my macbook when lugging the mbp around. many times i miss the gigantic beautiful screen on the mbp. :) the macbook keyboard destroys the mbp squishykeys

Jpoon
May 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
Several reasons:

1.) Price - The MBP is almost double the price of the MacBook. What I'm gaining in that huge price jump just doesn't justify my usage, at least for myself personally. When I bought a laptop it was for portability. The design of the Pro is certainly better than the MacBook, however for just basic things on the go, I don't really see the need for the bigger screen and the discrete GPU.

2.) Size - I understand that the Pro is only a little bit bigger than the MacBook and that the weight isn't much more; you do notice the size increase though, particularly when you're lugging the thing for four plus miles throughout a school week / work week.

3.) Performance - Again, if you're just using the laptop for on the go stuff, you don't need the graphics card unless you're actually going to be doing graphic intensive stuff. The difference is negligible if you aren't utilizing the graphics card. I already have a desktop PC with way more than enough power to run all my games and other stuff. I basically don't have any need for the big screen and GPU on the go. Not enough time to play FPS's on campus! hehe

The bottom line is, if you're just taking notes and using the wifi on your campus or work, then you don't need a pro. If you already have a desktop capable of running all your graphics intensive applications, then you don't need a MBP.

You might want a pro, if you don't already have a desktop capable of doing what a MBP does better (and probably in a more cost effective manner), and you still need a slight level of mobility.

In my opinion though, most people can't afford / don't need a pro for what ever mundane stuff they have to do while "on the go."

jmdilley
May 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
I chose the MacBook over the MBP for three reasons:

1)Cost
2)Size
3)Weight

I couldn't come close to justifying the extra cost for the MBP. I've also owned 17", 15.4" and 14" laptops previously and for me a laptop really needs to be as mobile as it can be, which translates to as small and lightweight as it can be.

I've had my MacBook for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. Is the white case kind of cheesy? Yeah. But, it's a solid performing machine which I've been very happy with, and so has my wife (who has one, too).

GSMiller
May 20, 2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't need the added power of a Pro, as I have an iMac.

skwij
May 20, 2008, 11:35 PM
When I bought mine, I was because I wanted (note wanted, not needed) a notebook/laptop.

I don't game, and anything I do is more than capably handled by the Macbook.

Basically, I wanted a laptop that "does" OS/X, without all the fiddling and headaches of a Hackintosh. I wanted the "real thing" this time around.

I also couldn't justify the large price differential between a MB and a MBP. Heck, if a MB was good enough for my geek IT/Unix friend, it's good enough for me!

Love my little white lappie, LOVE that it's not aluminium, LOVE the keyboard, LOVE that the RAM and HDD were so easily upgraded.

Call me shallow, but I also LOVE the attention she gets when I take her out and about. I love seeing Windows people say "hey it's got WINDOWS". Well, duh.

Do I want a MBP? Of course I do. I don't need one though, just as I don't need an iMac. This machine does all I could ever ask of it, PLUS I can take it with me (although I don't as much any more, now that I've got a Touch).

The MB is a solid little computer. 'Nuff said.

iknowyourider
May 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
I really like the magnetic closure. I like to open and close my notebook a lot and the lack of a latch is very convenient. I can almost forget that the MB is in my lap (because of it's small size) while I'm watching TV. It is more cost-effective and I'm not afraid to move it, use it, travel with it (easy to travel with), not afraid that I'll destroy a $2K notebook. I prefer the 13" screen size 'cause for me it's just a toy anyway.

spatlese44
May 21, 2008, 01:31 AM
how about, fits in lap better and plastic is warmer, more comfortable. To some people, that's more important than money, performance.

BennyM
May 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
I wanted to try out a Mac and the MacBook is kind of the entry model. The prices of MBPs just isn't worth it in my opinion, you pay a lot more for only better graphics and a bigger screen.

People around me advised to get a MacBook for the portability, it sure is easy to move around but I prefer to hook it up with my 22" screen. So I could have chosen a Mac Mini, but I don't complain :p

neiltc13
May 21, 2008, 06:55 AM
The MacBook is better designed than the MacBook Pro. It has a far superior keyboard and it's not based on a design which has been going since 2003. The only gripe I have with it is that there isn't a USB port on the right, but apart from that it definitely LOOKS a lot better than the Pro when it's open.

I also have an iMac already and I can touch type, so I have no real need for a dedicated graphics card or backlit keyboard.

smooth
May 21, 2008, 08:47 AM
Price was the biggest factor for me. For my uses, the MacBook fit the bill perfectly. However, I would very much prefer to have a 15" screen over the MacBook's 13". I could not justify the $500 difference for a bigger screen.

That said, I absolutely love the MacBook. Except for the screen size, I have no complaints. The machine works beautifully.

tbear1
May 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
I bought the macbook over the pro due to the price. The pro isn't unaffordable, but at the price I would not be comfortable updating unless the machine was falling apart. With the macbook, I wouldn't feel as bad selling it quicker and updating to a newer version. I don't do a lot of heavy lifting so the ~$700 puts me close to the price of a replacement. I could also get at least $400 for my old machine on ebay. So, when the MBs get an LED backlight display and a significantly better graphics accelerator I will upgrade and not feel 'guilty.'

Glenn

skye12
May 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
Because a friend has a MBP and my MB is just as fast for 98% of what
most people do. And its lighter and cheaper.

deputylove8
May 21, 2008, 08:48 PM
Everyone has their own reasons as to why they would buy an MBP or a MB...
As for me, I'm intending to get the MB namely because...

1) Budget

2) I do not need the powerful specs that the MBP offers

3) MBP is too big for me.

Everyone has their own needs. Determine your needs and wants and see which one fits you more.

:D:D:D

Abstract
May 22, 2008, 12:01 AM
The MacBook is better designed than the MacBook Pro. It has a far superior keyboard and it's not based on a design which has been going since 2003. The only gripe I have with it is that there isn't a USB port on the right, but apart from that it definitely LOOKS a lot better than the Pro when it's open.

Like I said, I like my MB and didn't see the need for the MBP as it would offer me absolutely no benefit right now. However, it's definitely not designed better than the MBP, and the keyboard is definitely worse. I have owned a PowerBook (same keyboard), and it took me awhile to get used to the downgraded keyboard.

h0e0h
May 22, 2008, 12:04 AM
Like I said, I like my MB and didn't see the need for the MBP as it would offer me absolutely no benefit right now. However, it's definitely not designed better than the MBP, and the keyboard is definitely worse. I have owned a PowerBook (same keyboard), and it took me awhile to get used to the downgraded keyboard.

One of the features I miss the most is the backlight keyboard on the MacBook cause I just can't seem to convince my wife to sleep with the light on... Almost wish I had bought an Air because of that, but then I realized I need FireWire and bigger hard drive. I love it's backlight keyboard. I like the layout of the MacBook's keyboard though, but the MBPs was nice too!

windowpain
May 22, 2008, 12:46 AM
simple reason.. cost.

I was looking at 118,000 for a (refurb) macbook, or 250,000 for the pro.

Easy choice.

Tom B.
May 22, 2008, 09:17 AM
-Lower Price

-Better Design

-Better Keyboard

-Smaller

-Lighter

-More Durable

jnc
May 22, 2008, 09:35 AM
-Lower Price

-Better Design

-Better Keyboard

-Smaller

-Lighter

-More Durable

fact, opinion, opinion, opinion, fact, fact, opinion

My 5 "CrackBook (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=475983)" repairs in twelve months certainly have something to say to your "Better Design/more durable" statement...

sunfast
May 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
I really wanted a MBP but could only afford a MacBook so MacBook it was. I don't regret it, but I'd still love a MBP someday.

MVallee
May 22, 2008, 11:05 AM
Cost was a big issue for me, although by the time I customized my MB with all the options I wanted, it came pretty close to the MBP in price.

Still, I like the MB because its small. I've had other laptops when I used windows that had these 15" or 17" wide screens and they are huge. I'd rather something I can pick up and go.

r6girl
May 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
i wanted a new laptop to upgrade from a 12" powerbook g4 (which i regret - i wish i'd stuck with the 12" until the macbook air came out). at the time i bought the macbook, i wanted an intel-based laptop sized as closely as possible to my beloved 12" powerbook. i'd had a 15" powerbook for work at the same time, and considered the mpb since i really enjoyed the powerbook and its form factor, but i decided in the end that portability and a lower cost were the most important factors for me when buying a laptop for personal use.

jeremy.king
May 22, 2008, 12:02 PM
Why did you buy the Macbook and not the pro ?

Because the difference in cost is going to allow me to buy an iPhone 3G :)

leekohler
May 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
I already have a desktop, so I didn't need the absolute best laptop. That and the MB is really easy to carry around.

Krafty
May 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
Cause I didn't have enough money.

uaaerospace
May 22, 2008, 01:01 PM
I use a MBP at work (stays at work), but I went with the Macbook for personal use. Main reasons:

1) Price:
To me, the MB is a better value.

2) Screen closure:
MBP latches in middle, so the edges have bowed out on the MBP. The MB magnetically "latches" on corners of screen, so closure is more secure.

3) Portability:
I'm a student, and there IS a rather large difference in the size of the 15.4" MPB and the 13.3" MB. The MBP is not even close to fitting in my bag. MB fits perfectly.

4) Keyboard:
The letters on the keys of a MBP COMPLETELY disappear in certain lighting conditions and viewing angles. Theses conditions are too bright for the backlight to activate but dark enough for the letters to not show. This is such a problem I downloaded a utility so that I can manually activate the backlight regardless of ambient light level.

5) Graphics Card:
The integrated graphics on the MB work just fine for the OS and graphics work. I'm do not game.

To be fair, there are some things I like about the MBP better.

1) Screen:
The viewing angles on the MB are limited, both horizontally and vertically. In fact, vertically bothers me the most. This advantage will disappear when the MBs are updated to LED screens.

2) Fingerprints:
The case of the MBP does not show fingerprints. My Black MB needs a wipe down with a damp cloth every few days. Nothing major to me, but something that may really bother some people.

Both are nice machines and are much better designed than most of the other laptops I have seen.

Some of these are facts; some are personal preferences that may or may not be important to you. I think that was the goal of this thread.

marbles
May 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
A really enormous thank you to everyone who has responded :).
You have given me a lot to think about with the answers on here and that is great for me and the others reading too ;) but keep them coming.... the more the better .

Some of these are facts; some are personal preferences that may or may not be important to you. I think that was the goal of this thread.

Yep :) you got it

daneoni
May 22, 2008, 05:23 PM
iMacs, great great machines. I owned a white Core Duo, but unfortunately I needed portability at college and went for a MacBook.

Moving to a MacBook Pro before Fall - I am worried, i didn't think 0.4lb would be as big a difference as people are making out :( I'll be carrying it around semi-frequently I imagine. Time to start working out :eek:

I love my iMac to bits. On second thought, having been using my blackbook a lot lately, i'm starting to really dislike it. Subpar screen, sharp edges, fingerprint magnet. If Apple doesn't redesign the macbooks next revision i might move to a MBP.

Abstract
May 22, 2008, 09:21 PM
If Apple doesn't redesign the macbooks next revision i might move to a MBP.

And I'm sure Apple would hate for that to happen. ;)

My white MacBook doesn't show fingerprints, and the "sharp" edges have never bothered me at all. My hand doesn't really graze the edges often.

Yr Blues
May 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
As above, I'm going to buy a MacBook after my PowerBook died. Never drink and surf. :mad:

I'm choosing the MB because it's cheaper and I always buy under the hype. I bought my 12 inch PB right when it was discontinued, thus saving me money and giving me something that was proven and perfected. I would love to buy a MBP or a MBA when they get discontinued. It's the frugal way to go

I'm trying to find a first generation Core 2 Duo MacBook.

eXan
May 22, 2008, 10:29 PM
I'm choosing the MB because it's cheaper and I always buy under the hype. I bought my 12 inch PB right when it was discontinued, thus saving me money and giving me something that was proven and perfected. I would love to buy a MBP or a MBA when they get discontinued. It's the frugal way to go

Have fun with massively outdated hardware.

Never drink and surf. :mad:

Why not?

Yr Blues
May 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

Massively? My PB ran CS3 perfectly for my graphic design. It ran everything perfectly. I would still be using it if I didn't spill beer on/in it. I rather keep my money until I need it, and now I do. 1G C2D MB, here I come.

kvasir
May 22, 2008, 11:38 PM

Why not?

Depends on what you use it for.

I use my 1st Gen. 1.83 MBP for day to day internet, lesson planning, creating documents, editing photos in iPhoto/Photoshop Elements, ect. It's still really fast and it's two years old. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon because it would be pointless. It still works well and it's still a speed demon. I'm past the era where I need to spend $2,000 on a new computer every 6 months.

Massively outdated would be a B&W G3. Even some of the iBooks (White G4s) still run well. I'd take a 12" Powerbook ANY day.

eXan
May 22, 2008, 11:45 PM
Depends on what you use it for.

I use my 1st Gen. 1.83 MBP for day to day internet, lesson planning, creating documents, editing photos in iPhoto/Photoshop Elements, ect. It's still really fast and it's two years old. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon because it would be pointless. It still works well and it's still a speed demon. I'm past the era where I need to spend $2,000 on a new computer every 6 months.

Massively outdated would be a B&W G3. Even some of the iBooks (White G4s) still run well. I'd take a 12" Powerbook ANY day.

Well... "massively" was an exaggeration... :)

But he said "when MBP and MBA will be discontinued", which I don't see happening in quite some time. I'm sure they will definitely show their age by then :)

heavymetal4god
May 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
Heh, I love my iBook 500MHz. Runs GarageBand and surfs the web swimmingly. I chose the iBook over the MacBook's because it's 12"s and I really do no need that much power when I am on the go. If wanna watch a movie I will pull out my iPod classic. When it comes.

SamoanDude
May 23, 2008, 12:58 AM
When I go fishing it's alot easier to take a Macbook than a Macbook Pro. The size does matter in a lot of instances.

marbles
May 23, 2008, 02:22 AM
Heh, I love my iBook 500MHz. Runs GarageBand and surfs the web swimmingly. I chose the iBook over the MacBook's because it's 12"s and I really do no need that much power when I am on the go.

I wish my 2x G3 iMac's where running GB ...they do browsing the web ok and can record audio without crashing too often, but they draw a line with anything more taxing :o

See I'm looking for something that is mobile & will replace these ageing lovely's as a desktop for a while till I can afford a permanent replacement ( hopefully a mini revamp)then use the mobile for , well , mobile tasks .

daneoni
May 23, 2008, 05:17 AM
And I'm sure Apple would hate for that to happen. ;)

My white MacBook doesn't show fingerprints, and the "sharp" edges have never bothered me at all. My hand doesn't really graze the edges often.

Haha yeah. The white doesn't show fingerprints as much as the black. I think i suffer from the sharp edges more because i have large hands

marbles
May 23, 2008, 06:05 AM
One of the features I miss the most is the backlight keyboard on the MacBook cause I just can't seem to convince my wife to sleep with the light on...

...I'm hoping they put the backlight on the macbooks this nextime for the same reason

skye12
May 23, 2008, 07:51 AM
If they were the SAME price I'd still want a MB. Are you aware od studies where people were asked what wine they preferred? The cheap one or
the more expensive one. They keep switching it around and everyone wanted the more expensive one.

G8AMB
May 23, 2008, 10:00 AM
this is an interesting thread, I had convinced myself I needed a MBP!

Do any of you do much photo editing and video editing.

I was wondering if the screen is up to it?

neiltc13
May 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
this is an interesting thread, I had convinced myself I needed a MBP!

Do any of you do much photo editing and video editing.

The screen is "up to it" - I remember people used to do video editing on the 1024x768 screen of the 12" PowerBook so it's certainly sufficient. Possibly not as roomy as people here expect but everyone has been spoiled by extremely high resolution desktops in the past few years.

The rest of the computer too is capable of Final Cut Studio etc. Might take a little while longer to render the movie, but it's not so much that it becomes a pain, in my opinion.

dbyl2
May 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
The screen is "up to it" - I remember people used to do video editing on the 1024x768 screen of the 12" PowerBook so it's certainly sufficient. Possibly not as roomy as people here expect but everyone has been spoiled by extremely high resolution desktops in the past few years.

The rest of the computer too is capable of Final Cut Studio etc. Might take a little while longer to render the movie, but it's not so much that it becomes a pain, in my opinion.

I have been in contact with apple about this they assure you that it will run ps cs3 and final cut very well aslong as you upgrade the ram. and i have worked on 12'' before what you have to do is put it in full screen mode and close all the pallettes you are not working with except layers, i am going to buy a macbook this september for my gsce art (70% photoshop, illustrator,flash based) and apple assured me that design premium or standard will run fine
hope that helps
paul :apple:

Ladybug
May 23, 2008, 05:42 PM
I bought a MB because I already had an iMac for when I needed more power and a larger screen. Price was also a factor. While I would love to be have a MBP in the future, the little MB has served me well and it does everything I need. It's portable, does internet, email, and all my documents. I didn't see any point in spending the extra money for a product that was only going to be used for these things. My iMac is used for graphics work and light gaming, I don't need to do those things on my MB.

eXan
May 23, 2008, 11:29 PM

haha good luck running Motion and Color on integrated graphics :rolleyes:

marbles
May 25, 2008, 03:32 PM

hmmm , that depends if you work in a dark space or a well lit one ...I say this as when i had my macbook (1st gen) the screen was ridiculously reflective in a lighted space ...I couldn't see much that was on the screen at all .the viewing angles are a bit of a bother (for me ) too ....

... best bet is to go in store and have a look see -as some folk love the glossy and some don't

njudah
May 25, 2008, 05:37 PM
for what I do, the graphics card was not entirely necessary and I bumped up the memory to 4 gigs. the price jump was rather high, and I decided instead to save the money and wait for a break on the ipod Touch instead. It ended up being a choice of the top of the line MB or low end MBP and a difference of several hundred bucks, for not much of a bump in speed, etc.

also, I had a 12" powerbook g4 I valued for its portability and durability (have had it 5 years now). But it was slooooow with an 867mhz G4 processor and a dying hard drive, so repairing/upgrading didn't make a lot of sense.

if there was a 12" MBP I might have considered it, but such things aren't coming back so it's not worth thinking about.

Slovig
May 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
For me, price was one, even though it was only $400 difference, that's still money to be saved. Plus, I really didn't need all that of a MBP, I would like to get one, and probably will one day, when I have a well paying job, but for now, my BlackBook will get me through college.

neiltc13
May 26, 2008, 05:29 AM
haha good luck running Motion and Color on integrated graphics :rolleyes:

They work fine on the new MacBook which has a vastly improved graphics chip compared to the original. The performance in some applications is similar to that of the X1600 which shipped in the original MacBook Pro.

StuBeck
May 26, 2008, 05:31 AM
I had a MBP for a little more than a year but just sold it because of money issues. I also wasn't happy with its performance in Leopard, nor did I use the extra capabilities. A situation just arose where I could get a MB for cheap, so I bounced. I never used the extra capabilities of the MBP, I have no firewire devices, I have a 360 so the video card wasn't very useful, and the screen was pretty crap too (my replacement IBM X31 had a better screen!)

Also, the inability to easily upgrade the hard drive was annoying. I did upgrade it myself, but it was a longer process then I was hoping for. And for spending $2k on the machine, I was extremely disapointed with the build quality. The "chrome" on the latch had worn away, the power button had recessed a little, the spacebar constantly had problems working, and the lid would not shut. Of course, when I went to Apple to fix this, they said they wouldn't :(

I wanted to get a MB before they replace it with another crappy aluminium one, since I trust the ability for plastic to hold up better and don't trust anything first edition from Apple either. I was going to just build a desktop, but I like being able to use my computer at the same time as watching TV (was going to use tv as monitor), and I don't have a good place to put it in my flat.

dalvin200
May 26, 2008, 05:36 AM
i think i'm realising the limitations of my blackbook in that it struggles to edit raw 1080i footage..
indeed, imovie 08 even warns you if you try and import it that the macbook might not be able to handle it and there might be stuttering etc...

i have the original blackbook late 2006 with gma950..

can the newer macbooks handle 1080 video ok? be interested to know this compared to a MBP

eXan
May 26, 2008, 09:34 AM
i think i'm realising the limitations of my blackbook in that it struggles to edit raw 1080i footage..
indeed, imovie 08 even warns you if you try and import it that the macbook might not be able to handle it and there might be stuttering etc...

i have the original blackbook late 2006 with gma950..

can the newer macbooks handle 1080 video ok? be interested to know this compared to a MBP

The main (only?) difference performance-wise between MB and MBP is the graphics card. So unless you work with Motion, Color or other Core Image apps, the difference is close to none.

The newer MacBook will not be significantly faster than your 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo. 2.4 GHz CPU will help encoding time, but not by much.

Edit: noticed your sig says Core Duo MacBook, so Its not late 2006, which was Core 2 Duo. Yours is early 2006. Core Duo is significantly slower than C2D at certain tasks, video encoding being one of them.

toby jones
May 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
Black. Of course. If Macbook Pro's came in black then I might be tempted. But they don't. So I'm not.

Portability. The size and weight does make a difference. If there was something that came in 12" I'd be tempted. But there isn't. So I'm happy with my 13"

Price. The price came close (Blackbook with memory upgrade) but it was still cheaper to do that. I don't think I'd notice a difference in performance because all I use my pootie to do is to 1) Check message boards / email. 2) Write my thesis in TeX. 2) Download and read articles. 3) Make powerpoint presentations. It is perfectly fine for what it is that I do with it. I even enjoy the odd game (nethack at the moment and freeciv before that and enigma before that). If you do graphics stuff the situation might be different but basically... I don't. So what would I want a dedicated graphics card for?????

I am ambivalent about the glossy screen, I have to say. It is pretty, oh so pretty, when it is shiny and sparkly after just being polished. But when I try and work in cafe's I do have to fiddle a little to get a viewable screen to work on. I'm not sure if the matt screens would be better for that (I've never compared them directly). If there was anything I could change it would be matt screen and backlit keyboard). But really, they don't change the fact that: it is 13" and it is black!!!!!

Qwest905
May 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
i picked up a MBP 15" and compared it to my macbook

damn the MBP feels lighter even though it is weighted heavier

marbles
May 26, 2008, 11:03 AM
The main (only?) difference performance-wise between MB and MBP is the graphics card. So unless you work with Motion, Color or other Core Image apps, the difference is close to none.

I'm really trying to find out what ,if anything I will need a graphic card for ....

When I get a new mac I will be diving right in to all the apps I haven't been able to play with on the G3 I have now.....I have Logic express 7, Reason 3 & Serato Scratch Live all ready to go on the new machine straight away.
Also, I'm interested in video editing , making album cover art and will probably do some photo editing too...
I'll probably need some external HD's and possibly a audio interface of some description

So , my question is...
Which machine would you recommend look I at buying or would a Macbook do these things for me or would I need a MBP?

I ask as you seem to know a good bit about all this

cheers

neiltc13
May 26, 2008, 11:12 AM
Marbles, if it's just light video editing then the MacBook will more than meet your needs. It might take a little longer than the Pro to render video but it's not going to be any more than a small inconvenience.

Looking at this comparison (http://www.macworld.com/article/132362/2008/03/macbookcore2duo.html?t=204) from MacWorld seems to suggest that rendering their sample movie in iMovie took just two seconds less on a MacBook Pro compared to a MacBook.

eXan
May 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'm really trying to find out what ,if anything I will need a graphic card for ....

When I get a new mac I will be diving right in to all the apps I haven't been able to play with on the G3 I have now.....I have Logic express 7, Reason 3 & Serato Scratch Live all ready to go on the new machine straight away.
Also, I'm interested in video editing , making album cover art and will probably do some photo editing too...
I'll probably need some external HD's and possibly a audio interface of some description

So , my question is...
Which machine would you recommend look I at buying or would a Macbook do these things for me or would I need a MBP?

I ask as you seem to know a good bit about all this

cheers

In your place I'd get a MBP. You don't need graphics card for that stuff, but the Pro is just suited better for that kind of work. On paper they don't look much different, but in real world the difference is evident.

MacBook is just a budget laptop ment for students/for people on tight budget, it has its "cheap feel" to it.

I don't want to go into the specs of both machines, because, again, on paper they look rather similar.

Hope this helps.

priller
May 27, 2008, 12:00 PM
I bought a MB because of the price, MBP has no advantages for me that make it worth paying over double what I paid for a MB.

marbles
May 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
...see below

marbles
May 27, 2008, 12:17 PM
In your place I'd get a MBP. You don't need graphics card for that stuff, but the Pro is just suited better for that kind of work.
cheers

I was hoping you wouldn't say that though ....I wonder why you did , as you mention that none of the apps I am going to be using will need the graphics card ....I've been looking at both machines intently now for some time so the specs I am aware of .....just the lack of decision making is troubling me :o

I suppose its fear of buying a Macbook then realizing I actually needed the MBP or buying the MP and realizing I didn't need it and could have saved .. ....money is an issue for me as well so refurb is probably the way to go for me unless they give a really special higher education discount soon

neiltc13
May 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
cheers

I was hoping you wouldn't say that though ....I wonder why you did , as you mention that none of the apps I am going to be using will need the graphics card ....I've been looking at both machines intently now for some time so the specs I am aware of .....just the lack of decision making is troubling me :o

I suppose its fear of buying a Macbook then realizing I actually needed the MBP or buying the MP and realizing I didn't need it and could have saved .. ....money is an issue for me as well so refurb is probably the way to go for me unless they give a really special higher education discount soon

You get a giant whack of a discount from http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk if you're eligible. I've bought all of my Macs this way.

ieani
Aug 6, 2008, 11:01 PM
So on day two with a black macbook. . .

I bought it to replace a stolen macbook pro. My pro cost $2700 and had a recent HDD upgrade to 320GB. It was the original one to come out maxed out with everything except a fairly useless $400 processor upgrade that was still only core duo. So, why the macbook?

Im no longer working fulltime but am in school so $2700 was way out of my price range, even the $1500 I spent was a stretch, but I wanted the black one and needed the bigger HDD.

And had macbooks come out when the pro did, I would have gotten the blackbook. I travel a lot and need the small size, durability, and better battery life.

So far then I love it. I miss being able to game, but it can handle the original Halo(and maybe Half Life 2) so Ill be content with that over TF2

bob2131
Aug 6, 2008, 11:21 PM
because mac book pro is a ********* rip off

kerotab
Aug 13, 2008, 11:40 PM
At the time (April 2007) it was a $500 difference between the black macbook and the low end macbook pro. I picked macbook because I was a poor college student that needed the the food and gas money =(

ShaneR
Aug 14, 2008, 06:58 AM
Because MacBook Pros cost a lot more and I can't afford that.

Exactly...

skye12
Aug 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
Easy. Its much cheaper, looks better, more portable, more durable, picks
up wireless signals better and is cheap enough that I can justify not buying
applecare. And for 95% of what most people do JUST AS FAST.

windowpain
Aug 14, 2008, 07:54 AM
Easy. Its much cheaper, looks better, more portable, more durable, picks
up wireless signals better and is cheap enough that I can justify not buying
applecare. And for 95% of what most people do JUST AS FAST.

...and hook it up to the TV in your sig and who cares that has a 13inch screen. It'll run that 40 inch at native resolution very nicely.

guitarliketom
Aug 14, 2008, 08:11 AM
i did for price and i wanted a mac........

i quickly realized the error in my ways and sold it and got a 2.5ghz mbp. the mb didnt run my modeling software as quick as i wanted and i wanted to run windows and needed a bigger hd for all my ****. 80 gig vs 250.

and the light up keys are oh so pretty.

if you are doing any work aside from music and word processing, you will regret not getting an mbp

oh, i also do a lot of work on two screens, and even though its a little thing, you dont need to purchase a separte adapter for the mbp like the mb.

huhwtfisthis?
Aug 20, 2008, 01:32 AM
price and size, thats it, other than that, they are practically the same computer, and i didn't want to spend any more than i did on my macbook, and i didn't want to carry a bigger notebook around campus.

jnc
Aug 20, 2008, 03:07 AM
because mac book pro is a ********* rip off

Enjoy your one thousand dollar plastic laptop and mini DVI adapter

muldul
Aug 20, 2008, 06:06 AM
I didn't need the power in the macbook pro, and the macbook is far lighter and more portable for school

wrldwzrd89
Aug 20, 2008, 06:28 AM
I don't have a MacBook (I have a MacBook Pro instead) but my sister does. She got one because she doesn't need the power of dedicated graphics for GPU-intensive work (she doesn't do any of that stuff), and the 15-inch MacBook Pro is a little too big for her to carry around and use every day.

hogfaninga
Aug 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
I bought the Macbook because it can do what I need it to do. I could of easily afforded the additional $550 it would of taken to upgrade to the Pro, but why should I when the Macbook does all I need it to(I upgraded the HD to 250GB and the RAM to 4GB)? My Macbook has performed just as good and better than most of my friends Pro's on most software. While the weight difference isn't that great between the 2, the Macbook is much better for portability. It is easier on airplane trips and moving around town with. I also love the White shine of the Macbook. I looked at the black, but I didn't like it as much.

I read comments from the others that said it was a for the low end buyer and made of cheap plastic. I know many who can afford the Pro, but decided like I did, that they don't need the few extras that come with it(they won't really use). That "cheap" plastic has served me well(I have had 2 Macbooks and bought one 2 months ago because I don't want the new generation one--I hate aluminum and the specs of the current one is enough for me). The White Macbook looks like I just taken it out of the box. I love it.

As with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Choose one that will fit your needs and save you money on software and upgrades. I buy a new Macbook every 3 years after my Applecare runs out. The $550 I saved by buying my awesome White Macbook will go towards a new Macbook in 2 1/2 years.