Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, someone please put me in my place about this game. I've had it since launch and I think it's a really frustrating game to play. The last GTA I played was GTA III and I don't remember being this annoyed with the controls.

So let me ask a few questions:
1. How the hell do you fight back? I'm always getting my ass handed to me then I'm getting shot by the cops. It seems like I can't do anything but get killed or arrested.
2. Is there a way to outrun the police? Seems like I can't ever get away.
3. Why do the controls of the game suck so bad? Am I the only one that thinks this?

Now, I know I'm gonna catch some heat for not really liking this game so I'm prepared. Here's what I want: I want some help to really appreciate this game. I haven't played this game more than 20 minutes because I get so frustrated so quickly and I just shut down my PS3.

Please help.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
It really isn't that hard to get used to.

1. Fighting back is pretty easy. I suggest using the cover system (push R1) and then popping out and shooting by holding L2 to lock on, push the stick up a bit to aim more towards the head and then hold R2.

2. Outrunning? Well, you probably need to drive a bit first. It does take a little while to get used to driving but make sure to use the brakes. Just get out of that circle and then hide somewhere, check your map so you don't go near any cops.

3. The controls just take a bit to get used to.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
easiest way to get away from cops is to get on the highways, which are pretty straight, and just gun it like a bat out of hell. Or just try to get to a pay n spray.

and yes, the controls blow, they always have.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I have more gripes than I have time to type right now. Damn their stupid save system. This takes the cake above all else. On the mission to save Roman...I fight up four levels and then accidentely let him die...now i get to work up all four damn levels again. Horrible, horrible, horrible implementation of saves. It's started not getting played out of disgust, there's nothing challenging about driving all the way across town, getting there, having some random thing make you lose the person you're trailing, have to start over, etc...just annoying gameplay. How this has the reviews it does is way past me.

Paul

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
If the police get close to you on foot, they will try to arrest you. You can tell when this happens because you lose control of your character. Press the X button (or whatever it is on the 360) rapidly to get away.

If you are being shot at, the alleys are your friends. There's plenty to hide behind. If they have a helicopter after you, it is worth running under the railroad or an underpass where it can't see you and shoot at you.

Getting away from the cops at 1-3 stars is easy. You just don't go in a straight line, avoid the oncoming cops on your radar, and swap cars (running down an alley and then jacking another car is a good idea).

Going off road at the right place helps. Jumping off of an elevated highway will often buy you time.

Choosing the right car is a must. Trying to get away in an SUV sucks. If you are good at bikes, they are pretty useful.

Flying choppers sucks unless you have a PS3 and enable the Sixxaxis controls.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I know that it gives instructions but, they are only up on the screen for such a short time I miss what it says half the time.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I know that it gives instructions but, they are only up on the screen for such a short time I miss what it says half the time.

Pause the game and go to the Brief section and you can see the list of instructions that have appeared, so if you missed them, you can see them there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I honestly think getting away from cops on this game with anything up tp 3 *** is exceptionally easy. Just drive fast and aim for long stretches of road.
Just use your radar wisely.

After *** level it does become near impossible though..

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I honestly think getting away from cops on this game with anything up tp 3 *** is exceptionally easy. Just drive fast and aim for long stretches of road.
Just use your radar wisely.

After *** level it does become near impossible though..

I've got away from 4* a few times, but never 5* or above. From what I can see the 5* radius pretty much covers the whole radar. The only way I can think of getting away is using a really fast bike or a plane and crossing your fingers.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I've got away from 4* a few times, but never 5* or above. From what I can see the 5* radius pretty much covers the whole radar. The only way I can think of getting away is using a really fast bike or a plane and crossing your fingers.

5* is pretty gnarly, but possible. Got to be in a boat through experience. In a Helicopter, you keep getting spotted. You need to be able to get from one island to the next without being seen.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I find it quite easy to outrun the cops (and great fun). If you can drive fast then you are halfway there. Before I raise hell I usually think how I can get away from the immediate area. Usually an alleyway then find a car with a roof i.e. not a convertible or a bike.

My record is 26 minutes on 6 stars until I dropped a grenade at my feet without realising. :p

Its actually quite hard to get onto 6 stars. You have to be a real mentalist and do some REAL damage and kill loads of cops. I'd shot down 4 choppers before I got my first 6 stars.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
A couple questions... I'm new to the GTA series.

Is there anything to spend my $350,000 on? I just completed the bank robbery so I got a cash boost.

Are there any other nice car dealerships to get a car from other than the one right by the apartment in Algonquiny?

I think I am about 35% through the game.

musick

Jun 3, 2008
I have more gripes than I have time to type right now. Damn their stupid save system. This takes the cake above all else. On the mission to save Roman...I fight up four levels and then accidentely let him die...now i get to work up all four damn levels again. Horrible, horrible, horrible implementation of saves. It's started not getting played out of disgust, there's nothing challenging about driving all the way across town, getting there, having some random thing make you lose the person you're trailing, have to start over, etc...just annoying gameplay. How this has the reviews it does is way past me.

Paul

Taxi's are your friend. Hail a taxi, get in, press the button to hurry (square on ps3) and then press the button to skip the drive (x)

You don't have to waste time driving across town.

Viola, you fail a mission, you can be back in action in less than one minute.

As for failing missions, just get better at using cover and aiming for the head...once you get good at it it's not that hard.

BTW that roman mission took me 3 tries, the missions where you have to gun down 20+ people are meant to be hard. Just stick to Assault Rifles (AK-47, m16) and it makes it cake. Also if you have Little Jacobs perk, get a vest from him for $300 and you can pretty much pass any mission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.