Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traveler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
DC
Somewhere, among the many posts, someone mentioned that as part of Apple's update to the Tibook they were going to improve the internal structure in order to increase it's strength. This way the computer would be more durable when toting it around and various woes structural woes like screen flex and bendage of the slot-loading dvd drive could be avoided.

Can anyone confirm that these improvement have taken place or are planned for the next update?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: strength

no, but

...there have been some complaints (but none convincing enough) about the tibook being delicate

but it was designed for adults, who are more careful than the young schoolkid and college backpack crowd, who are a big part of the ibook, who may be more abusive on a laptop

that is why the tibook may seem delicate to the tank tough design of the ibook and the previous ibook

the titanium users i know can't stop bragging about their laptops and it makes me, an ibook user, feel inadequate at times

so size, 15.2" inches, does really matter in the end

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I would not be ashamed of an ibook, they are very sexy, neat, compact, quick.
They (and the mac stand as a whole) steal the crowds at my not so local micro anvika.

Traveler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
DC
Thanks for the input

I'm looking to get a laptop right now and while I don't plan on banging my computer around these things happen and I want to know that whatever I get will be able to take the occasional abuse.

On the other hand, I'm worried that if I go with the ibook it's g3 processor won't really be able to handle OS X. I'm stuck trying to decide whether or not the extra money is worth it. I keep coming back to the thought that 2 years from now a g3 will be useless while g4 will still have some life left in it. But then I worry about the structural integrity of the tibook and how I'm afraid to break such an expensive appliance... which makes me want to wait until the "big revamp" early next year... but that sucks because I'm impatient, I have the money now and I don't currently have a computer. Choices, choices...

M

moby1

Just go with the best deal you find. You're gonna end up upgrading in a year anyway.

I saw three TiBook 400's on eBay last night for 1575 each - that's about an awesome a deal as you can get.

BTW - OS X speed issues are software oriented not hardware.

Also - I am now convinced that OS X is faster on my Ti 500 than 9.2.1 - even though the Finder isn't as "snappy".

I wouldn't go back to 9 if you paid me.

C 'mon Adobe/Macromedia! We want those updates!

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
Yeah, i must say the iBook is a tank

I carry the iBook around without a bag all the time. It is so strong, someone i know even dropped theirs with no noticeable damage. There is no problem with the 500mhz iBook with 66mhz bus and OS X. Try the newer models, i bet they run OS X that much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.