PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 12' Won't Boot from CD

trb1013
Nov 24, 2003, 12:43 AM
I am unable to boot from the CD using either the Apple Restore Disk or Disk Warrior. I have tried holding the c keydown after pressing the power button and setting the CD as the startup disk (making sure that cap lock is not on). I have tried holding the Option key down after pressing the power button then clicking on the CD that appears on the screen.

I have tried using the Apple restore CD and the reboot option when clicking on the CD icon and told to press continue to reboot from the CD.

I can using the CD, access files etc.

What could be wrong?

ethernet76
Nov 24, 2003, 04:10 AM
CD drive might be dead. There's a command to ignore the current start up disk. I think it's shift-option-apple-delete(the one next to the += key)

If the CD is a valid start up disk it should show up in the thing there. Use the arrows to scroll through the startup options.

poisonmonkey
Nov 24, 2003, 09:01 PM
If you are using Panther:

If your PB was shipped Jag stock you have to use your Panter CD.

Disk Warrior doesn't boot into Panther... yet.

trb1013
Nov 24, 2003, 11:53 PM
I'm using 10.2.8, not Panther. I got another suggestion, starting up in verbose mode, command -v as soon as the grey screen comes up after initaling pressing the c key. That works, but even rebuilding the drive doesn't seem to fix the problem. The only way I can boot from a cd/dvd is using the verbose mode.