PDA

View Full Version : Mac Halo Teaser Page: To be released December 11th.

MacBytes
Nov 24, 2003, 08:19 AM
Category: Games
Link: Mac Halo Teaser Page: To be released December 11th. (http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/halo/MacSoft-Halo.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

johnnowak
Nov 24, 2003, 09:38 AM
Now I'll get to see what all the fuss is about.

jeremy.king
Nov 24, 2003, 09:39 AM
Enough said.

1macker1
Nov 24, 2003, 09:44 AM
This game was good.....when it came out TWO years agon on the XBOX. I say go buy a console and stop waiting for the long delays for ports.

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 09:46 AM
About damn time. I wonder what new games MacPlay will put out next?

I want someone to port Rollercoaster Tycoon to the Mac or I'll have to buy VPC to just play the game I loved on the PC.

I see Halo for Mac has alot of new weapons and vechiles not in the Xbox edition. I heard the PC version is choppy comparied to the Xbox ver. I hope the Mac ver. is alot better then both the PC and Xbox ver.

applemacdude
Finally....Then when we test it out its gonna suck

Stella
Played it on PC and found it extremely boring, gave up after 20 minutes playing.

Yet another 1st person Doom clone with better graphics!

Really, I can't see all the excitment.

Also, on the Mac you aren't going to get 4 speaker surround sound or nice EAX like effects!

DTphonehome
Nov 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
This game was good.....when it came out TWO years agon on the XBOX. I say go buy a console and stop waiting for the long delays for ports.

I agree. Isn't Halo 2 coming out soon (for Xbox)? The Mac isn't a serious gamer's platform.

zoozx
Nov 24, 2003, 09:48 AM
One of the Best games ever! Was great on the X box, should be a winner on the Mac.
Don't miss it.

JohnStrass
Nov 24, 2003, 09:53 AM
This is what you need:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Minimum: Macintosh computer with 800MHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.2.8 or higher, 256MB RAM, 32MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 2MX/ATI 7000 or better), 1.4GB hard disk space. Internet or LAN connection required for online play.

Recommended: 1GHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.3, 512MB RAM, 64MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 4ti-ATI 9000 or better

Man. I cant believe myiMac/17in/800/1gig is now just a "minimum" machine.
It is interesting that they recommend Panther (which I dont have yet). Why should Panther make much of a diference?

Liquidity X
Nov 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
Halo 2 looks nice but it a ways off, we might see it in late 2004, thats what they said at e3, now Splinter Cell 2 on the other hand looks amazing! go get this months Game Informer, they have a nice preview, and its a multi platform release and looks the same on all platforms due to a major engine upgrade! no more waiitng a year for it to come to my ps2 + online co op team play! Has me more pumped than Metal Gear 3, but not alot on that game has been shown so we will see. If yah can't tell I love sneaking games.

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by DTphonehome
I agree. Isn't Halo 2 coming out soon (for Xbox)? The Mac isn't a serious gamer's platform.

Halo2 won't be out until about last qtr of 2004 and then in about 6 months Xbox 2 will be out.

Halo is only good when you play on a lan party or online. Playing by yourself it's just like any other FPS.

I would like to play doom since it looks like it has alot of resident evil type effects thrown into it.

I'm planning on buying new Nintendo Cube coming out next yr. The only game I'll be buying for the PS2 next yr is GT4 and thats it.

dbally
Nov 24, 2003, 09:59 AM
I agree with the others. Halo was (still is) a great game on the Xbox. Halo 2, due out in April, will undoubtedly sell as well. I just hope that there's not another 2 year gap in development for the Mac . . . actually that might not be so bad because I'd probably be able to save up for a G5 by then :p

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 10:06 AM
I still think it's funny that the only real successful game for the Xbox was a Mac game to begin with.

Apple should buy a some software companies and have them port over more games as well. Then atleast Mac users will have more games to pick from.

1macker1
Nov 24, 2003, 10:07 AM
I dont think so either. I'm not a gamer, but my brother is, and no way is he gonna wait 2 years to play a game. Halo 2 will be out in April 2004, i'll get it for my XBOX. Mac people will have to wait until 2006:(
Originally posted by DTphonehome

1macker1
Nov 24, 2003, 10:10 AM
The XBOX has tons of successful games. And it was for PC/Mac first. I doubt that Mac's had the hardware to run it 2 years ago. I just bought my 800Mhz iMac this year, and now it's a min system.
Originally posted by ITR 81
I still think it's funny that the only real successful game for the Xbox was a Mac game to begin with.

Apple should buy a some software companies and have them port over more games as well. Then atleast Mac users will have more games to pick from.

sethypoo
Nov 24, 2003, 10:10 AM
I was never much one for "shoot em' up" games like Halo (except for Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64- that game rocked). I like games like Warcraft (all three, which work on my Mac).

Still, if you're into Halo, have fun!

:) :rolleyes: :D

Liquidity X
Nov 24, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Halo2 won't be out until about last qtr of 2004 and then in about 6 months Xbox 2 will be out.

Halo is only good when you play on a lan party or online. Playing by yourself it's just like any other FPS.

I would like to play doom since it looks like it has alot of resident evil type effects thrown into it.

I'm planning on buying new Nintendo Cube coming out next yr. The only game I'll be buying for the PS2 next yr is GT4 and thats it.

You might wanna look up the game thats being dubs the "halo 2 Killer" for militray styled fps game is for ps2 only and is called "Kill Zone"

yoman
Nov 24, 2003, 10:14 AM
Why did Microsoft have to buy Bungie :( :(
Why Why............

We'll just have to wait 2-3 tenths of a decade each time for a game port. Oh well.

dracoleb
Nov 24, 2003, 10:31 AM
Halo rocked on Xbox but sucked on PC. I don't know why but I can spend hours playing Xbox Halo, even now, and get bored very quickly on the PC version. It's strange because I normally like FPS on the PC much better than the console. Really on the PC side I'm waiting for Half Life 2, when ever that is coming out.

AirUncleP
Nov 24, 2003, 10:34 AM
How about Marathon for OS X? If its out there can someone tell me where.

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
The XBOX has tons of successful games. And it was for PC/Mac first. I doubt that Mac's had the hardware to run it 2 years ago. I just bought my 800Mhz iMac this year, and now it's a min system.

I'm judging this from about 30-40 folks that I live with and about the only game they like on the Xbox is Halo. The problem I have with the Xbox is most of the games are only pretty and don't back it up with replay value or fun factor. Some folks always point me to Gotham racing and all I can say is GT3-4.

Most all other games can be had on the PS2 or Cube.

I like the new game 13 on the PS2.

saint.duo
Nov 24, 2003, 10:43 AM
It's called Aleph One, and you can get it at source.bungie.org (http://source.bungie.org/). Bungie released the source to Marathon 2 four or five years ago, and this is the current result. Sometimes it has some trouble with the original Marathon files, but it plays the Marathon 2, Infinity, and various mod files without trouble.

Originally posted by AirUncleP
How about Marathon for OS X? If its out there can someone tell me where.

Hmm
Nov 24, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dbally
I just hope that there's not another 2 year gap in development for the Mac . . . actually that might not be so bad because I'd probably be able to save up for a G5 by then :p
Unfortunately, by then a G5 won't be enough to play it.

I don't think the G4 was even around when Halo was first announced. Now it's required.

Dippo
Nov 24, 2003, 11:06 AM
Well this is nice I guess, but Halo isn't really that great of a single player game.

The multiplayer is nice, but nothing special.

MacsRgr8
Nov 24, 2003, 11:24 AM
It's gr8 having more and more games coming to the Mac.
But judging by the screenshots: what is all the fuss about? Are the grfx that much better than UT 2003?

iLilana
Nov 24, 2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by JohnStrass
This is what you need:
Minimum: Macintosh computer with 800MHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.2.8 or higher, 256MB RAM, 32MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 2MX/ATI 7000 or better), 1.4GB hard disk space. Internet or LAN connection required for online play.

Recommended: 1GHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.3, 512MB RAM, 64MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 4ti-ATI 9000 or better

Man. I cant believe myiMac/17in/800/1gig is now just a "minimum" machine.
It is interesting that they recommend Panther (which I dont have yet). Why should Panther make much of a diference?

All my games play faster in panther than Jag or 9. I used to have a problem with Diablo 2 as well being all jerky. Now... no problems.

mayodreams
Nov 24, 2003, 11:32 AM
Halo brought my fairly high end PC to its knees. If any more than 3 enemies are on the screen, i get like 1-2 FPS. It is sad. The whole pc world is pissed about the performance. If you dont have an Athlon 3200 or P4 > 3GHz and a Radeon 9700 or Nvidia 5900, it runs like crap. Don't even waste your time with the Mac port.

My PC specs:
Athlon 2500+ overclocked to 3200
512MB DDR 2700 RAM
60GIG ATA 100 HD
nVidia nForce 2 motherboard
ATI Radeon 9500 128mb, overclocked

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 11:36 AM
Odd I've seen a demo someone got and it was running as fast as the Xbox and it was running on 1GHz PB.

Also some mags have played the Mac demo and at the time didn't report any slow downs at all and it was being played on G4's at the time.

Trimix
Nov 24, 2003, 11:49 AM
this web page is called macrumors, no ?
so where is the rumor ?

GigaWire
Nov 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Trimix
so where is the rumor ?

Because lately, even announced ship dates for games have proven to be nothing more than hopeful speculation, i.e. a rumor.

MacsRgr8
Nov 24, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by GigaWire
Because lately, even announced ship dates for games have proven to be nothing more than hopeful speculation, i.e. a rumor.

:D

Yep, like Total Immersion Racing. Been waiting for that one....

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 12:07 PM
Total Immersion Racing was shown at the Macxpo Show in London just recently. They also had full ver. for folks to play so I would figure the game is ready to be shipped if they had full ver. at the show.

What I really want is for EA to port another F1 game over to the Mac the current one is from 2000!! Also I would like rally game as well.

MacsRgr8
Nov 24, 2003, 12:18 PM
I would love a rally game too, something like Collin McRae.
Total Immersion was announced for the 21st (pre-order already possible), but on Feral's site they still mention "november"... Must be coming really soon. I had played the (very early) beta version at MWP back in september, and been waiting for the final release ever since! Seems fun.

AhmedFaisal
Nov 24, 2003, 12:33 PM
If its the M$ butchered one they can stick it up their @$$. When I first saw M$-Halo on the JerkBox I was in tears about the fact that they had ruined one of the best game concepts in the last decade.
Just my 2 euro-cents.

Ahmed

Universe Man
Nov 24, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Also, on the Mac you aren't going to get 4 speaker surround sound or nice EAX like effects!

I've been trying to find info on this to no avail. Does the G5 multi-channel audio do nothing for surround sound? What about if you have a sound card with EAX or A3D built in? (Do they make these for Mac?)

Ideally, I would want A3D sound with headphones, as I've read it's the best.

Please discuss: Any way to get surround sound gaming on a Mac? Thanks!

achmafooma
Nov 24, 2003, 12:37 PM
so where is the rumor ?
In the titlebar on the MacRumors front page: "Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About"

;-) That's why you see news about certain product releases (particularly Apple's, but other notable software and games too) on the site, as well as rumors and possible future products.

Each post has "from the news dept." or "from the rumors dept." under the title. That could probably be made more obvious (hint hint, Arn ;-)). I've seen a lot of "this isn't a rumor!" type posts lately.

ZildjianKX
Nov 24, 2003, 12:38 PM
Ummm... why is this page 1 today? It has been listed as Dec 11th from amazon.com for some time...

damax452
Nov 24, 2003, 12:56 PM
Halo wasn't very fun, no one i know seems to like it either. The best games out right now are GTA: Vice City, Call of Duty, and Max Payne 2.

arn
Nov 24, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Ummm... why is this page 1 today? It has been listed as Dec 11th from amazon.com for some time...

well, then I guess you should have told someone. ;)

arn

ITR 81
Nov 24, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Total Immersion was announced for the 21st (pre-order already possible), but on Feral's site they still mention "november"... Must be coming really soon. I had played the (very early) beta version at MWP back in september, and been waiting for the final release ever since! Seems fun.

Probably won't see anymore Collin McRae games since this was his last yr unless he allows them make another game.

I could see a Peter Solberg game though.

You can buy sound cards that allow you to have 7.1 surround sound. I'm not sure whats on the new G5's though.

Macsoft's orig. date was Dec 5 for the game so this is news because it just got push back to the 11th probably due to duplication delay or something of that sort.

Durendal
Nov 24, 2003, 01:01 PM
Screw Bungie. They told their core fan base to go shove it AFTER they announced this game for Mac/PC. They talked about full publishing rights when they were bought up by MS. So I guess MS isn't to blame; they could have put it out for Mac/PC YEARS AGO!

Halo PC is great fun. The only problem is that Gearbox had their heads in their butts when writing out the network code. Lag is a big problem, even on a LAN!

Mayodreams, there must be something SERIOUSLY wrong with your comp. I've played on an Athlon 2100+ with a Geforce3 just fine.

Sherman
Nov 24, 2003, 01:10 PM
Well, it's about damn time is all I have to say.

Sellouts. That's what they are, sellouts.

And the reason it's so slow is because it was ported to x86 from PPC, and then back again.

nagromme
Nov 24, 2003, 01:26 PM
Since I play more muti-player than single-player (and like mods), UT 2004 (coming to Mac and PC early next year) looks more tempting to me than Halo. I'm looking forward to both though!

Some of the vehicles in UT2k4 do look like BLATANT Halo rip-offs. There's a jeep that's styled very much like the Warthog, and a weird alien flying vehicle that leaves wing-trails very much like the Covenant flyers. And the UT2k4 vehicles trailer even has Halo-like choral music!

PS, I have to add that the Mac is a GREAT gaming machine. Not great for EVERY gamer's needs--I know PCs and consoles are good choices for many people. But for some people--like me--there is no other comparable choice. I want to game--and there are more great games on Mac than I could ever buy or play. I do not want to tinker and fight my machine, and I do not care about keeping up with the Jones's and getting a game in its first, buggiest release vs. waiting 2 to 6 months for it. I also like free downloadable mods, free downloadable demos, and mouse+keys control, which makes my Mac a better game machine than a console.

So to say a Mac is not a gamer's machine is just not true. All you can say is, it's not the machine for a gamer with YOUR particular goals.

mstecker
Nov 24, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
Since I play more muti-player than single-player (and like mods), UT 2004 (coming to Mac and PC early next year) looks more tempting to me than Halo...

I just hope that UT2k4 comes out at the same time for mac and pc. I'd prefer to have it on my mac, but if it comes out months earlier on the PC, it's hard to sit and wait, and even harder to justify the mac purchase if I already have the PC version.

blueBomber
Nov 24, 2003, 02:07 PM
I only have one friend who has gotten relativly smooth framerates on his PC, and he's running a 3.2 HT P4 with a Radeon 9800 pro. I get sluggish performance on an AthlonXP 2600+ with a GeForce 4. We both have a gig of ram, so that's really a non-issue. I would imagine the same can be assumed for the mac version, only the highest of the high end can expect passable performance. However, one of the major performance degradations on the PC comes from the use of advanced DirectX shaders. Turning off the shaders increases performance dramaticly (but greatly reduces image quality). Since the mac obviously isn't going to be using these DX9 shaders, OpenGL code will probably be substituted and may result in better performance.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 24, 2003, 02:33 PM
i think a lot of xbox halo players dont know about the improved graphics,but the problem with those improved graphics you need a monster to run it. anyways ill turn things down if i have to no big deal, my geforce3 isnt doing to bad on UT2K3 using a 1.33 G4 though will admit to be eyeing the 9800. Hey Arn if you see this how is that 4 titanium doing? and did it meet your expectations? anyways Halo is here and its been a long long wait and iam looking forward to playing it and so are many mac users.

wuntrikpony
Nov 24, 2003, 02:41 PM
This will be the second time I buy it. And it's worth every last penny. I have played Halo on xbox for 2 years now. YAY!!

Sheebahawk
Nov 24, 2003, 02:59 PM
when I got it two (or was it three?) novembers ago. At the time it was the best game I'd ever played, if you don't enjoy halo, I don't think you like video games. Of course console's are better than playing games on a computer anyway, but still, if you have the requirements, I'd pick it up. Very immersive, and the AI's brilliant. Halo still is unmatched in character animations, and the vehicles are the greatest improvement to the first person shooter genre. I'm sick of seeing negative bias about this game, Apple could have purchased Bungie at any time after it became a publi company, but games are not a priority for Apple. Thats why I was forced to pay mirosoft three hundred dollars, so I could play the best games around. Xbox, has at least a dozen AAA titles out right now, and I think the only disparraging things about the system come from people who just don't have one. Oh yeah, I'd be playing it right now if it didn't break on me. ********** microsoft.

The fact is, Bungie probably would never have finished Halo due to lack of resources if microsoft hadn't given them 60 million or whatever. The original builds you saw demoed of Halo, didn't have direction, and they were far from being completed, it was more of a tech demo showing the myth-like terrain populated with futuristi polygonal cyborgs and aliens. Putting the game on Xbox forced them to hammer it out by a deadline, and to turn the idea into a playable, sellable product, which it never would have become if it was designed originally for the mac.

Oh yeah one more important thing, The greatest joy of Halo I found is playing it with other people, espeially using vehicles in co-operative mode, which you trade in for online play in the PC incarnation. Halo is like the ipod, competitors are just now starting to catch up, The graphics aren't as sweet as they used to look, and the Unreal engine is prettier, but Halo an be a much deeper game experiance, and the physics are incredible. medal of Honor Rising Sun is what I'm currently playing, thats a tight little game in its own right, but its the first game I'v'e played since Halo which I can say is just as polished. Thats all the good things I'll say about it for now, but really, what other good games have come out in the past two years which made their way to the mac? is Unreal 2 even out? (oh wait, I said good games) Isn't Baldur's gate 2 just coming out this month? :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 24, 2003, 03:07 PM
Warcraft3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein! Best multiplayer of any in my opinion and that goes for both of these. Dont forget the Nascar series! just had to name a few

dstorey
Nov 24, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8

If the rest of the team are anything like my Visulization and VR lecturer then foget it..... He used to work for codemasters, working on Collin McRae, and he can't stand macs with a passion. If anything mac is mentioned in the lecturer... he'll say but it's a Mac! or does it run windows... he went abit quite when I said yes with VPC ;)

mstecker
Nov 24, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sheebahawk
... if you don't enjoy halo, I don't think you like video games. Of course console's are better than playing games on a computer anyway...

I need to disagree with you there. I love video games. I love first person shooters. In the past few months, I've played through the single player Max Payne 2, Half-Life Blue Shift, Half-Live Opposing Force, Elite Force II, and I've been playing a bunch of CounterStrike as well. I've played through every important first person shooter, including all of the Dooms, Quakes, RTCW, Unreal I and II.

I bought Halo bundled with my Xbox the day that both came out, and - know what - I just never caught the bug. Trying to control a FPS with the game controller was just too unnatural.

On three of four occasions over the past few years, I've picked Halo up again with "if everyone is telling me this is the greatest game of all time, I must be missing something" on my mind. Still, I've never gotten hooked enough to get past the first few levels.

That said, I'll buy it when it comes out for the Mac. Maybe playing it with a real keybard and mouse will turn around my view(s) on it.

And there's no comparing console games with PC-Based games. The screen resolution just isn't there to make a realistic enough experience (and yes, I have my Xbox driving a 1024x1024 plasma display). Even though the xbox theoretically supports HD TVs, only some games do, and then usually only by giving 480p instead of 480i. A very vew games will do 780p. None will do 1080i as far as I know. Most of the games that can run at 780p feel significantly slower when trying to do so - the graphics chips are really optimized for 640x480.

Trimix
Nov 24, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by achmafooma
In the titlebar on the MacRumors front page: "Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About"

;-) That's why you see news about certain product releases (particularly Apple's, but other notable software and games too) on the site, as well as rumors and possible future products.

Each post has "from the news dept." or "from the rumors dept." under the title. That could probably be made more obvious (hint hint, Arn ;-)). I've seen a lot of "this isn't a rumor!" type posts lately.

seriously i never saw the lines until you mentioned them, i was more going by the question mark and the newspaper pile :D

nevetheless i feel that this site in an attempt to come up with something new every day may sometimes publish something for the sake of not having to be silent for a day. looking at the last 20 or so rumors or news they had a common thread - hardware, clusters, music, there was something tying them together - this one if you get my drift smells of 'commercial' ???
like hidden or not so hidden product placement ?
arrrrrgh, i said it.... arn will ban me ....

Bunzi2k4
Nov 24, 2003, 04:31 PM
halo sounds good, but i want to know if it will be runable at a non-laggy state on my pb g4... i think i'll wait for reviews. mayb around christmas i'll pick it up...

CompUSAMacNerd
Nov 24, 2003, 04:47 PM
Woot! December 11th, my bday! I can't wait to snag a copy of Halo. Which by then it'll be about 20 bucks for the PC version I am sure. :)

Bendit
Nov 24, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by mayodreams
Halo brought my fairly high end PC to its knees. If any more than 3 enemies are on the screen, i get like 1-2 FPS. It is sad. The whole pc world is pissed about the performance. If you dont have an Athlon 3200 or P4 > 3GHz and a Radeon 9700 or Nvidia 5900, it runs like crap. Don't even waste your time with the Mac port.

My PC specs:
512MB DDR 2700 RAM
60GIG ATA 100 HD

Plays fine on my P3 1.5Ghz, 512mb SDRAM, GeForce 2 GTS.

usingmac
Nov 24, 2003, 06:05 PM
You know, all mac users got screwed by Microsoft on this one. The game was so ahead of any windows game at the time. So instead of allowing a super game to come out for Macs first, MS decides to stymie the whole. thing.

Boycott Microsoft HALO for 3 years. They don't think we are important.....fine...send them the message....

j33pd0g
Nov 24, 2003, 06:33 PM
What is up with all these old games? Why bother. I wish Apple would just buy out Nintendo, and come out with the iPaddle.

dracoleb
Nov 24, 2003, 06:55 PM
Halo was the only good console FPS I have ever played(well GoldenEye too). It is also the only FPS that I have played where the mouse keyboard combo was worse than a game-pad. Don't ask me why, but it just doesn't work with Halo.

i_am_a_cow
Nov 24, 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by arn
well, then I guess you should have told someone. ;)

arn

Yea it was on the apple store for like a month now... :D

T.Rex
Nov 24, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Bendit
Plays fine on my P3 1.5Ghz, 512mb SDRAM, GeForce 2 GTS.

Ya, if you like slide-shows. Yikes.

saint.duo
Nov 24, 2003, 07:14 PM
That's not quite true. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ (1.4Ghz, i think), 512MB PC2700 RAM, ECS K7S5A motherboard, Asus GeForce 4Ti 4200 128MB DDR. I average 29FPS with all the quality settings cranked up, with the game at 800x600. I have never had it slow down to unplayable (below 25 or so FPS) in any battle, even on Legendary.

Originally posted by mayodreams

My PC specs:
512MB DDR 2700 RAM
60GIG ATA 100 HD

jeffy.dee-lux
Nov 24, 2003, 09:52 PM
Yeah, so they just keep pumping out these games all the time, i guess maybe it took a while for halo, but either way, all i see are minimum requirements growing and growing. Several guys are talking about year old computers that are now out of date, i'm shouldn't even mention my 500mhz imac. So we have this constant drive to keep our hardware up to date so that we can have the most up to date software... or take the whole os thing, why should i upgrade to panther? cause soon enough, software's gonna include that on the list of minimum requirements. The whole purpose of new software seems to be to create a demand on the market for the latest hardware. Sure the new software has advantages over the old, hey look at iTunes, i first had the original version on os9. Three 100$ os upgrades later gets you iTunes 4, yay, i can make automatic playlists and look at a website that sells music, (still not in my country though, con sarnit).

so anyways, we got this new software coming out all the time, new games with crazy graphics, but is there anything about this new stuff that really matters when you think about it? Ooh wow, that guy i just shot looks just like a real person! Hey i guess that stuff sorta matters, i guess if we don't get exposed to that stuff enough we'll have a harder time pulling the trigger when our presidents want us to. Moral issues aside, how many of you have ever stayed up till sun rise with a bunch of guys playing goldeneye? I'm sure you guys can agree that these insanely expensive graphics aren't essential to really getting a kick out of a game. I think it would be a lot cooler if game companies spent their money on paying really smart guys to think up games that are fun, not just realistic, and then make these games available to more than just the people who can afford to buy a new computer every two years.
And of course i'm sure you guys will just tell me that if i don't wanna go and give these companies all this money to have fun than i don't have to and i should just shut up. or maybe others will say i'm just resentful about not being able to play with the new toys that are out. alright, you got me,
now is anyone selling a super nintendo? i could go for some mario kart battle mode action...

blueBomber
Nov 24, 2003, 11:25 PM
Amen to that. The classics have and always will rule. I more or less haven't felt an emotional attachment to a video game since the Sega Saturn. I used to savor every moment of a game, and marvel in the new and cool things that I discovered. I just don't feel that in newer games. These days, I'm lucky if I actually get half-way through a game before I get completly bored with it. Some people say that it's just because their older, games lose their fun, but I don't agree with that. I still play my old Nintendo games constantly, and still enjoy them more than any current console (or computer game). Alright, I'm way off topic. Sorry to anyone that this bothers. I'm shutting up now...

jasonbw
Nov 24, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by saint.duo
That's not quite true. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ (1.4Ghz, i think), 512MB PC2700 RAM, ECS K7S5A motherboard, Asus GeForce 4Ti 4200 128MB DDR. I average 29FPS with all the quality settings cranked up, with the game at 800x600. I have never had it slow down to unplayable (below 25 or so FPS) in any battle, even on Legendary.

and this is the problem. the xbox is a 700mhz p3, with a geforce 3 card and 64 megs of ram (shared, i believe), running a stripped down version of Win2K. Halo runs very smooth on the machine, at least getting 30fps, if not more.

My PC is a 2.4ghz with a radeon 8500 and 512 megs of ram. so i've got 8 times the memory and 4 times the processor speed (theoretically), yet my machine couldn't even match the smoothness of a two year old game on two year old hardware.

Knights of the old republic is the same way. terrible framerates even at the lower resolutions. its like microsoft told these developers not to make it run any better than it would on the xbox.

Flickta
Nov 24, 2003, 11:50 PM
Perhaps there is something left of Bungie in there...

I'll buy it. And on my PB G4 on Legendary it will probably look like a turn-based game.

Flickta
Nov 24, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by jasonbw
and this is the problem. the xbox is a 700mhz p3, with a geforce 3 card and 64 megs of ram (shared, i believe), running a stripped down version of Win2K. Halo runs very smooth on the machine, at least getting 30fps, if not more.

My PC is a 2.4ghz with a radeon 8500 and 512 megs of ram. so i've got 8 times the memory and 4 times the processor speed (theoretically), yet my machine couldn't even match the smoothness of a two year old game on two year old hardware.

Knights of the old republic is the same way. terrible framerates even at the lower resolutions. its like microsoft told these developers not to make it run any better than it would on the xbox.

On PC you have higher resolution textures, right? Your XP is not stripped down, so it demands power, and your computer is not optimised for gaming only. So... Why should you expect anything?

arn
Nov 25, 2003, 12:19 AM
nevetheless i feel that this site in an attempt to come up with something new every day may sometimes publish something for the sake of not having to be silent for a day. looking at the last 20 or so rumors or news they had a common thread - hardware, clusters, music, there was something tying them together - this one if you get my drift smells of 'commercial' ???
like hidden or not so hidden product placement ?

You best watch it... ;)

tomorrow, on MacRumors, i'm going to be pimping Britney Spear's new album:

Does Britney 'Do it Again'?
from the madonna-kiss dept.

The long rumored Britney Spears album, "In the Zone" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DD7LB/weeno/) has made it to stores and Apple iTunes alike. Mac fans have been clamoring for this release ever since there were rumors that Steve Jobs and Spears were having an affair.

Quotes from jealous Mac users included:

"Damn! Britney's so lucky!" - eyelikeart
"Oooh I wish I were her!" - Mudbug

Rumors suggested that at least a few of the songs were inspired by the singer's relationship with the beloved Apple CEO... and may offer hints at upcoming Apple hardware.

Rower_CPU
Nov 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
LOL, arn. Don't give away your April Fool's story. ;)

saint.duo
Nov 25, 2003, 12:33 AM
I'm going batty waiting for Halo for my Mac. I've beaten it on my PC, and played some multiplayer; but now I long for LAN parties with my friends, all running Macs, playing crazy 14 player games, yelling at each other, eating pizza, and such.

Halo does still have some feel of Bungie in it. Not as much as it probably would have, but it's there. The hidden marathon logos all over the place, and the killer hippos are two good examples.

=== performance rant below ===
Halo is locked at 29.97 (if memory serves) FPS on the Xbox so the animations look right.

This has been hashed, rehashed, and regurgitated on the gearbox forums.

Now that I've played Halo on my PC, I HATE playing on the Xbox. It looks "blurry" and "fuzzy" to me on the Xbox now. The PC/Mac versions are not using the same shaders and such as the Xbox version. If I made my PC run Halo looking like the Xbox, I'd probably triple my framerates.

An old friend of mine runs Halo PC on a 1000Mhz Duron, GeForce 4mx (roughly a GeForce2/3ish) 32MB, and it looks like Halo on the Xbox (all fancy shaders and such are off), and he ALSO gets around 28FPS constantly.

Originally posted by jasonbw

alamar
Nov 25, 2003, 03:12 AM
Halo 2 should not have much larger requirements than this one, it is after all being made for the X box, not the next bleeding edge PC. The port should take a shorter amount of time too I would think. Despite what game developers may say, I don't believe them when they announce they are throwing away an entire 3d engine and writing a new one.....

Bungie was a sad loss for the Apple community. I believe they contracted out the port for Halo? This tends to result in sucky games. IMHO. Hopefully Bungie hasn't let the quality slip. They have kinda an iffy record...from Marathon to Abuse? (remember that crappy thing?)

I don't know what company Apple could buy on the level of the Half Life (valve?) or Bungie level, (home grown team dedicated to quality and not deadlines) to make A mac only killer game....it would be a good idea for a few reasons, but a bad idea from the cash end. If Apple wants to bring gamers to the Mac it needs get publisher to get decent developers to make decent games in a timely manner, or exclusives.

For that to happen I'm sure they need to demonstrate a market that I don't think they have. If you guys want more games, well, you'll have to go out and buy 3-5 copies of every sub par game and ****ty port of a good game that's on the market.

Halo is an excellent game and should sell well on the Mac and maybe convince developers and publisher there is a good market here.

Anyone looking for a good game on the Mac can check version tracker for Armegedtron.

Please ignore grammar and spelling errors.

alamar
Nov 25, 2003, 03:16 AM
Hey, wasn't the idea of the Xbox that ports to and from the PC would take much less time? Wasn't one of the ideas of OSX that wintel to mac ports go substantially quicker (wasn't Quake ported in a weekend by one guy? yes it was)? Why did halo take so GD long?

Trimix
Nov 25, 2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by arn
You best watch it... ;)

tomorrow, on MacRumors, i'm going to be pimping Britney Spear's new album:

Excellent - we should have a 'Dissect Britney's lyrics department' then :D

killmoms
Nov 25, 2003, 07:33 AM
My litmus test for any console is still this (varied slightly for market changes):

Are there Square Enix games on it?

If yes, get. If not, don't.

Otherwise, I have my PC.

And to anyone who says the Mac can't be a good game system, you have your head on backwards. Especially now that the G5 is out. Has Apple been concentrating on it? No. If they had their divisions constantly tweaking OpenGL, I'm sure we could get absolutely stellar performance out of any G5 with a decent graphics card in it. And by decent, of course, I mean "not an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200," which in my experience is often slower than my GeForce 4 Ti4400 in my PC.

But the Mac has lacked the game library of the PC for so long that developing for it is a chicken-and-egg issue at this point. Add to that the fact that Microsoft's proprietary DirectX standard has become the norm (rather than OpenGL and other libraries, since DirectX is more than just graphics), and suddenly the Mac is harder to deal with.

--Cless

pimentoLoaf
Nov 25, 2003, 04:18 PM
Wonder if it will be as compelling as the Marathon Trilogy (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/)?

Flickta
Nov 26, 2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by alamar
Bungie was a sad loss for the Apple community. I believe they contracted out the port for Halo? This tends to result in sucky games. IMHO. Hopefully Bungie hasn't let the quality slip. They have kinda an iffy record...from Marathon to Abuse? (remember that crappy thing?)

Abuse was so nice... And if I'm not mistaken, it was ported by Bungie, not written, from the PC side.

Ah, about Apple prospects. Perhaps, a PowerPC chip in xBox 2 will change Mac gamer's life for the better?

JesseJames
Nov 28, 2003, 06:32 PM
Well, I've put in my pre-order for Halo on IMG. So far the only other game I've played on my machine is Medal of Honor - which kicked ass. Can't believe that game got old after a while. It's insanely addictive on multi-player online though.
Good thing I was suffering with a dial-up connection or else I never would've come out to see the light of day.

I got a 933MGhz G4 with a Geforce4MX card in it. I'm debating about getting a Titanium card.