Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvinGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Does time machine officialy support airport extreme mounted drives. I am planning to get one for this feature only, dont want to have suprises in the future. Thanks a lot.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I am currently using a WD passport drive with airport extreme and time machine to back up wirelessly. it works perfectly fine. I'm on 10.5.2

miha

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Finland
I am currently using a WD passport drive with airport extreme and time machine to back up wirelessly. it works perfectly fine. I'm on 10.5.2

Same here; I use WD Passport Portable 250GB, USB Powered. Leopard 10.5.2 here also. First backup took around 15 hours (>70GB)

Of course you need to type following on terminal:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm pretty sure it is. I remember at Macworld 08, before introducing Time Machine, Steve Jobs said you could just plug in an external HDD to your Airport base station and it'd back up all of your content via Time Machine. He even showed a tiny example.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
so what would be the cheapest set-up?

a $279 time capsule
or
$179 AEBS + hd?

is that time capsule with a student discount? the full retail price of the 500GB time capsule is $299.

i went for the AEBS plus an external HD (a 500GB WD My Book Essential), which came out to be just under the cost of the 500GB time capsule. if you get the time capsule, you're "stuck" with the 500GB (unless you're adventurous enough to open it up and attempt to install a larger hard drive), whereas you can simply buy a larger external hard drive to upgrade if you just get the AEBS...

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
is that time capsule with a student discount? the full retail price of the 500GB time capsule is $299.

i went for the AEBS plus an external HD (a 500GB WD My Book Essential), which came out to be just under the cost of the 500GB time capsule. if you get the time capsule, you're "stuck" with the 500GB (unless you're adventurous enough to open it up and attempt to install a larger hard drive), whereas you can simply buy a larger external hard drive to upgrade if you just get the AEBS...

yea $279 is with student discount.

so would it be better to buy the AEBS for $159 (student discount) and then a my book 500gb or just the time capsule? i'm also assuming that you have no problems with it as well for time machine?

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
if you get the time capsule, you're "stuck" with the 500GB (unless you're adventurous enough to open it up and attempt to install a larger hard drive), whereas you can simply buy a larger external hard drive to upgrade if you just get the AEBS...

Not true. According to the tech specs on Apple's website, you can add a USB hard drive to the Time Capsule. Therefore, it is as expandable as an AEBS plus a USB HDD.

I had debated the same thing, getting an AEBS + USB HDD or getting a 500GB TC. The cost ended up being a few bucks more for the TC (with a student discount), and then you have a piece of equipment that is officially sanctioned by Apple for use with Time Machine.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'd personally just get the TC for ease and style.

Yes it is officially supported, Apple released an update sometime around feb/march to allow this.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
and is writing to the TC drive just as fast as writing to a usb drive on the AEBS, because i have read some conflicts saying that it took forever to write to the TC

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
Writing to the Time Capsule is fast, but you might have to erase the drive once before you do your first backup. I had to do that, because when I tried to back up right out of the box it took about 14 hours to back up 30GB through ethernet. I erased the TC HDD, (as per Applecare's instructions when I called) and it only took a couple of hours to do the same 30GB.

I installed another TC and was able to do about 30GB backup wirelessly in a few hours.

Burtonsnow9

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008
Writing to the Time Capsule is fast, but you might have to erase the drive once before you do your first backup. I had to do that, because when I tried to back up right out of the box it took about 14 hours to back up 30GB through ethernet. I erased the TC HDD, (as per Applecare's instructions when I called) and it only took a couple of hours to do the same 30GB.

I installed another TC and was able to do about 30GB backup wirelessly in a few hours.

well that's great to know and i'll definitely do that when i get it. Can't wait to get my whole new setup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.