PDA

View Full Version : can you recommend me some headphones?

ashjamben
May 21, 2008, 12:03 PM
i want some decent headphones for monitoring whilst recording and also whilst mixing, as i don't have any monitor speakers.

anything under 100, and no more, thats a maximum.

thanks in advance

AviationFan
May 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
The Sony MDR-7506 are a popular choice in this price range for people that do audio for video. Not that any headphones are recommended as sole reference for mixing, but if you HAVE to use them, this one seems to be a de-facto standard. I use them a lot when I record, and I like the attenuation of ambient noise that they provide.

I assume you are talking about mixing music, though, and I don't know how well they work for that purpose.

- Martin

Killyp
May 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
Do not mix on headphones - it's such a golden rule it could almost be set in stone.

A good pair of monitor speakers can now be picked up for hardly any cash at all, and will provide you MUCH better.

Get a relatively cheap but decent pair of cans (I bought Sennheiser HD200s -50) which will do the job for recording, and for everything else, use speakers.

ashjamben
May 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
i know the golden rule to not use headphones to mix tracks, but i've been told from the university i'm going to to study music technology to get a decent pair of headphones. obviously they'll have decent monitor speakers to mix with, but at the moment recording at home a pair of quality headphones seem a better choice to mix with than the speakers in my macbook. i hope to get a pair of small monitor speakers at some point for home, but at the moment it seems more of a luxury than a necessity, of which i can't afford.

rallycars
May 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
I have the 7506's and they are good, but can be a little hot on the ears. I think the 7509's are bigger. The AKG headphones are supposed to be good for classical and acoustic music recording.

hakukani
May 21, 2008, 08:33 PM
I have the 7506's and they are good, but can be a little hot on the ears. I think the 7509's are bigger. The AKG headphones are supposed to be good for classical and acoustic music recording.

I have three pairs of 7506s. They stand up to abuse really well, and fold nicely. The only problem I've had with them is that the thin leather earpads usually split fairly quickly.

Many classical engineers like grados.

oban14
May 22, 2008, 08:14 AM
I think Sennheiser HD-280 pros are the best value and the most comfortable cans out there for the money.

BCains
May 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
Sennheiser HD-280 as previously suggested some others to check out; Sennheiser HD 25s & Beyerdynamic DT 880

kilian
Jun 10, 2008, 07:27 AM
Go to goodcans.com. There is all you need to know about headphones. I had a iGrado for a while. The best headphone I ever had but it was too small for my head. Ill change to another Grado. Soundwise the iGrado was very good for recording and mixing guitars etc. For vocals you would need a closed one for example a MoreMe from Harvey Gerst - very cheap for tracking etc.