PDA

View Full Version : Post Etiquette


Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:11 AM
Rower_CPU and I got into a little discussion yesterday about posts and their content. Britboy started it with

'Still, who cares about the age? As long as your posts are relevant and/or intelligent'

(its in the Private Forum, so not everyone can view the original) with Rower_CPU stepping in and throwing back

Hopefully relevant AND intelligent...one without the other is nothing to be proud of.:rolleyes:

I disagreed because I do believe you can have a relevant post and not be intelligent (state a fact or opinion, other than 'That's cool!' or 'I agree') or post something intelligent that might divert the thread to another subject, which happens all the time and is perfectly appropiate.

Anyone care to comment?

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:16 AM
And the battle is rejoined...:D

Do you have a reaction to my last post there?

PS. Hope you're allright this AM...a bottle of sake is nothing to sneeze at.:p

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Rower_CPU and I got into a little discussion yesterday about posts and their content. Britboy started it with

'Still, who cares about the age? As long as your posts are relevant and/or intelligent'

Hopefully relevant AND intelligent...one without the other is nothing to be proud of.:rolleyes:

I disagreed because I do believe you can have a relevant post and not be intelligent (state a fact or opinion, other than 'That's cool!' or 'I agree') or post something intelligent that might divert the thread to another subject, which happens all the time and is perfectly appropiate.

Anyone care to comment?

I'd love to comment. Commenting on issues that are interesting or intelligent or evening arguing about something is fun. Getting into intellectual debates about issues like this can be very diverting and well worth the effort.

That's my less than intelligent, sort of irrelevant, yet appropriate post of the day.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:19 AM
I agree...

one's intelligence level has nothing to do with whether or not they can say something interesting or useful...

but I will say that intelligent people can often be much more interesting to talk to...nothing like intellectual stimulation...

but around here....the only irrelevant comments are often either from those who just like to get quickie posts in (to help post count?! :eek: ) or just for the sake of throwing a one-liner in to get a laugh (mischief...do u hear me??)

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
I'd love to comment. Commenting on issues that are interesting or intelligent or evening arguing about something is fun. Getting into intellectual debates about issues like this can be very diverting and well worth the effort.

That's my less than intelligent, sort of irrelevant, yet appropriate post of the day.

Actually, I find your post both intelligent and relevant. It addresses the topic and adds your own insight...therefore you are the first recipient of the "Relevant and Intelligent Post of the Day" (or, RIPD) Award...hey if Beej can do it, so can I! ;)

Beej
May 10, 2002, 09:21 AM
I guess my previous post in another thread, which consisted of calling a dumbass, was neither relevant or intelligent.

It's ok, I've slapped my own wrist.

--

I'm gunna have to go with dukestreet on this one, sorry Rower :(

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Beej
It's ok, I've slapped my own wrist.

(2nd less than intelligent, irrelevant post of the day)---> I've slapped my own monkey.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I agree...

one's intelligence level has nothing to do with whether or not they can say something interesting or useful...

but I will say that intelligent people can often be much more interesting to talk to...nothing like intellectual stimulation...

but around here....the only irrelevant comments are often either from those who just like to get quickie posts in (to help post count?! :eek: ) or just for the sake of throwing a one-liner in to get a laugh (mischief...do u hear me??)

If you go back and look through the discussion, eye, you'll see that we're not trying to ascertain if the poster is intelligent...just the post. If they have something interesting/useful/insightful to add, or they respond with factual information to someone's question, I say "that's an intelligent post".

I was, in part, referring to one line posts, or the ever popular "I agree" that may be relevant, but do nothing to add to the overall discussion.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
And the battle is rejoined...:D

Do you have a reaction to my last post there?

PS. Hope you're allright this AM...a bottle of sake is nothing to sneeze at.:p

I'll post your rejoinder here and pick it up. Ah, no prob with the sake, man I love that stuff. Didn't finish the whole bottle, got smart in the end. I like mine chilled, BTW.

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Intelligent, but irrelevant:
I find the works of Picasso to be much more thought provoking and emotive than those of Van Gogh.

Relevant, but unintelligent:
I agree with Rower_CPU.

Does that work better for you?

Intelligent, but irrelevant: this one works for me as long as its not out of the blue. For example you might have been talking about something that didn't have anything to do with Picasso or Van Gogh, but something did make you think or draw a connection none the less. This would be an example of going off topic, nothing wrong with that.

Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.

I see...

ok I was going to leave it at that but I didn't think it would come across as funny...

how's that for relevance & intelligence? ;)

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 09:27 AM
IMHO, I think that there is a balance between personal opinion, and intelligence. If you think about it from a logical standpoint, a post should only become unintelligible when personal opinion overrides ones intellect. I have been guilty of this myself before with some of my posts. We all have been. I don't know what the subject of the of the discussion was in the private boards were, but I hope that it was not in relation to a posters age.

I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?

Beej
May 10, 2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?You have to buy a mug (or you can donate). You become a Demi-god, and you get access to the private forums.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'll post your rejoinder here and pick it up. Ah, no prob with the sake, man I love that stuff. Didn't finish the whole bottle, got smart in the end. I like mine chilled, BTW.

Intelligent, but irrelevant: this one works for me as long as its not out of the blue. For example you might have been talking about something that didn't have anything to do with Picasso or Van Gogh, but something did make you think or draw a connection none the less. This would be an example of going off topic, nothing wrong with that.

See, that's just the thing. Most times, it IS out of the blue, or at least only connected to the discussion via someone's random association with the topic at hand. If we're talking about rackmacs and someone associates the word "rack" with a woman's breasts, posts some such comment, and the next thing you know...the "Mac Rack" thread becomes a "Macs and Breasts" thread. Interesting, yes. Helpful, no.

Relavant, but unitelligent: sure, we've all seen that post in some form or another. If you just left it at that, it would be stupid, but by backing it up with an example, you justify the post.

The problem is that people do just leave it at that, or the examples they give are not worth the time it takes to read them.


To make something clear, I'm not trying to enact some sort of censorship measure, or post monitoring situation here. I was just stating my personal opinion about posts in general. ;)

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
IMHO, I think that there is a balance between personal opinion, and intelligence. If you think about it from a logical standpoint, a post should only become unintelligible when personal opinion overrides ones intellect. I have been guilty of this myself before with some of my posts. We all have been. I don't know what the subject of the of the discussion was in the private boards were, but I hope that it was not in relation to a posters age.

I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?

I have to disagree with you a little bit. Intelligence and personal opinion can not be balanced, as they are not in opposition to each other. We all have personal opinion. In fact, most of what we type here is nothing more than personal opinion, or a regurgitation of facts we read or learned elsewhere.

The key to an intelligent post is not that you have in some way been more intelligent, but that you thoughtfully articulated your personal opinion in a manner that is understandable to other readers. Furthermore, an intelligent conversation is characterized by a series of intelligent posts (i.e. well articulated opinions) that take into account the other posters opinions, and applies the posters opinion to facts and other opinions to those same facts to convince the other posters of the accuracy or logic of your opinion.

At least, that's my take.

Sorry if that wasn't very relevant or intelligent.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Anyway, just my 2 cents. By the way, how do you gain access to the private forums?

Buy a mug and become a Demi-God.

The age thing was about Beej being the youngest contributor (Demi-God) at 19. Britboy comes in around second at 21. Posting in this case didn't have anything to do with age.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
I personally believe that age, and the ability to post with intelligence are not tied to one another at all. Look back and think of the most narrow minded, and idiotic posts that you can, and most will actually be from people over 21 I bet.

exactly....age has nothing to do with it...

when u consider the fact that MacAztec is much younger than most of us here...he's one of the heavier posters...and sometimes can be pointless but agreeable (like we all do)...but often enough he's got something to say...definitely not a freeloader...

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Buy a mug and become a Demi-God.

The age thing was about Beej being the youngest contributor (Demi-God) at 19. Britboy comes in around second at 21. Posting in this case didn't have anything to do with age.

does that make me third at 24?! :eek:

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
I have to disagree with you a little bit. Intelligence and personal opinion can not be balanced, as they are not in opposition to each other. We all have personal opinion. In fact, most of what we type here is nothing more than personal opinion, or a regurgitation of facts we read or learned elsewhere.

The key to an intelligent post is not that you have in some way been more intelligent, but that you thoughtfully articulated your personal opinion in a manner that is understandable to other readers. Furthermore, an intelligent conversation is characterized by a series of intelligent posts (i.e. well articulated opinions) that take into account the other posters opinions, and applies the posters opinion to facts and other opinions to those same facts to convince the other posters of the accuracy or logic of your opinion.

At least, that's my take.

Sorry if that wasn't very relevant or intelligent.

And the taxman cometh...

Well put mcrain. This is more or less what I'm trying to get at.

BTW - Got my tax refund check yesterday. Uncle Sam was nice for a change. I overestimated my taxes and was due a bigger refund than I thought. Gotta love that!
(And yes, that was very irrelevant)

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
does that make me third at 24?! :eek:

Sorry. 23 here...for another 3 1/2 months.

Damn...this is downward spiral of irrelevance...*sigh*...:D

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
BTW - Got my tax refund check yesterday. Uncle Sam was nice for a change. I overestimated my taxes and was due a bigger refund than I thought. Gotta love that!
(And yes, that was very irrelevant)

Well, Uncle Sam loves giving people big refunds. The reason for that is, by overestimating your taxes, or having too little withheld from your income, you are essentially giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. Enough taxpayers do that, and Uncle sam has a lot of extra money each year to play with. Imagine how much interest is earned by the Government during the year on all the taxpayers money that it then refunds? Believe me, it's a lot.

Sorry for being off topic.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
The problem is that people do just leave it at that, or the examples they give are not worth the time it takes to read them.

To make something clear, I'm not trying to enact some sort of censorship measure, or post monitoring situation here. I was just stating my personal opinion about posts in general. ;)

I'm in total agreement with you here on both counts. We're just discussing, not enforcing. I've seen more than a few one liners or irrelevant posts, and it does detract from the overall discussion for that thread. I usually just ignore them. I'm not going to point fingers, that's not my job.

But one of the reasons I started this thread is that hopefully some other members might read this and up the level of their post contribution or just stay silent if they've really got nothing to add to the thread. As for bumping up post count, its not hard to do that and actually contribute something. So much is being discussed here on a daily basis its hard not to find something to talk about.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
exactly....age has nothing to do with it...

when u consider the fact that MacAztec is much younger than most of us here...he's one of the heavier posters...and sometimes can be pointless but agreeable (like we all do)...but often enough he's got something to say...definitely not a freeloader...

Age was never the question...just relevance and intelligence.

Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm in total agreement with you here on both counts. We're just discussing, not enforcing. I've seen more than a few one liners or irrelevant posts, and it does detract from the overall discussion for that thread. I usually just ignore them. I'm not going to point fingers, that's not my job.

But one of the reasons I started this thread is that hopefully some other members might read this and up the level of their post contribution or just stay silent if they've really got nothing to add to the thread. As for bumping up post count, its not hard to do that and actually contribute something. So much is being discussed here on a daily basis its hard not to find something to talk about.

Ah ha! A blatant attempt to gain more posts by dukestreet! I cry "FOUL"!!! :D

Your near 100 yesterday not good enough, eh? Seriously, though, you're all over the place these days.

<whisper>You're only 27 behind AlphaTech right now </whisper>;)

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Age was never the question...just relevance and intelligence.

Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.

Considering my personal opinion is that age and intelligence are unrelated, and I get really really upset when older people look down on the Gen X crowd (or younger) like they are dumb just because they are young... I can't believe I'm about to argue that there is a connection between intelligent posting and age.

The connection isn't intelligence. It isn't the ability to articulate a point. The connection is experience. I can talk about a far larger set of topics than someone who is half my age due to my far larger amount of experiences. For example, I can talk about business, working, college, post-grad work, and being married, not because I'm smarter, but because I've experienced those things.

That being said, I find it very refreshing, and very helpful to hear the opinions of younger people applied to my experiences. It helps me remember how I used to view things, and helps me realize how I've grown and/or changed and/or became an old stodge.

As for monitoring and censoring posts, I'm against that, but if you can come up with a way of taxing stupid posts for the benefit of macrumors, then, I'm all for that. Just imagine a $0.05 tax on all one line posts, and a special $1.00 tax on really offensive posts, and maybe a dime for uncensored swear words... we could make every member sign up with a credit card and bill monthly. Oh yeah, I'm getting all excited now.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Age has nothing to do with implicit wisdom and ability to add to the conversation. Usually it just affects their ability to express themselves in a clear/coherent manner, since they haven't had as much time to develop communication skills.

I understand...it gives it about 10 times more impact when u start reading through some of jefhatfield's posts...

he can definitely go on & on...

but he has a lot of experience to back it all up...

always intelligent...almost always relevant...

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Ah ha! A blatant attempt to gain more posts by dukestreet! I cry "FOUL"!!! :D

Your near 100 yesterday not good enough, eh? Seriously, though, you're all over the place these days.

<whisper>You're only 27 behind AlphaTech right now </whisper>;)

That would be a total of 106 yesterday. I don't think that will ever happen again. I'm going to have to go do some work soon, so I won't be posting for a while. I've had contractors, plumbers and electricians putting in a new bathroom in the basement, so being home and not working has given me time to play online.

I don't go for post count, not any point really, I have more than enough to say and if you went back and checked my posts, I'd believe you'd find them to be mostly intelligent or relevant. http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/tup.gif I did just check though and I'm 3rd on the all time list, wow, that is crazy.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
That would be a total of 106 yesterday. I don't think that will ever happen again. I'm going to have to go do some work soon, so I won't be posting for a while. I've had contractors, plumbers and electricians putting in a new bathroom in the basement, so being home and not working has given me time to play online.

I don't go for post count, not any point really, I have more than enough to say and if you went back and checked my posts, I'd believe you'd find them to be mostly intelligent or relevant. http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/tup.gif I did just check though and I'm 3rd on the all time list, wow, that is crazy.

Impressive...and congrats on 1500! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Impressive...and congrats on 1500! :D

Thanks, I'll be signing off for a couple of hours, I'm sure you'll all be able to carry on this thread till I get back. I've got a few more things to say. Talk to you soon.

D

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


That would be a total of 106 yesterday. I don't think that will ever happen again. I'm going to have to go do some work soon, so I won't be posting for a while. I've had contractors, plumbers and electricians putting in a new bathroom in the basement, so being home and not working has given me time to play online.

I don't go for post count, not any point really, I have more than enough to say and if you went back and checked my posts, I'd believe you'd find them to be mostly intelligent or relevant. http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/tup.gif I did just check though and I'm 3rd on the all time list, wow, that is crazy.

that's bold man...in the past 24 hours I've accumulated just around 100 posts...yesterday was a mad-posting day for me...

ok...back to something relevant to the thread...not the off-topic discussion...he he he :D

ps: congrats on 1500! ;)

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 10:04 AM
I had quite a few on Monday/Tuesday with the whole Quartz Extreme debate...but 100 in a day is pretty damn active!

I can assume that MWNY is going to be pretty hectic...time to practice my typing skills. ;)

mischief
May 10, 2002, 10:23 AM
The Topic is toast and bothof you are spared a Pie each for exposing your own hipocrisy.:D

Oh well. I suppose it'll have to be strippers all around then.:eek: :p ;) :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by mischief
The Topic is toast and bothof you are spared a Pie each for exposing your own hipocrisy.:D

Oh well. I suppose it'll have to be strippers all around then.:eek: :p ;) :rolleyes:

Ha!

Midget strippers? :D :eek:

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mcrain

As for monitoring and censoring posts, I'm against that, but if you can come up with a way of taxing stupid posts for the benefit of macrumors, then, I'm all for that. Just imagine a $0.05 tax on all one line posts, and a special $1.00 tax on really offensive posts, and maybe a dime for uncensored swear words... we could make every member sign up with a credit card and bill monthly. Oh yeah, I'm getting all excited now.

is there a way i can set up a prepaid account?

if i may chime in here. i agree that there are, at times, less than relevant posts added to threads. if its from someone who is truly trying to participate then thats ok. on the other hand, if they're trying to be disruptive then they should be warned. and in time, banned. i have seen few intentionally disruptive posts in my limited time here.

how to differentiate the intentions and enforce SOP is a sticky wicket indeed. and in all honesty, the inclusion of the dull, pointless or misdirected is really the basis of an open forum. (cue patriotic music...) this is a microcosm of the larger principles of freedom of expression at work.

and...sometimes everything can be said in one line. if its pointless, then all the better for it's brevity. :)

crassusad44
May 10, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mcrain


(2nd less than intelligent, irrelevant post of the day)---> I've slapped my own monkey.

I slap a monkey every day, right here: http://www.vectorlounge.com/04_amsterdam/jam/flamjam.html

And, sorry for being far off topic in a thread like this....

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
this is a microcosm of the larger principles of freedom of expression at work.

Speaking of freedom of expression, did anyone else notice that Spymac removed Macrumors from its home page section of Around Town? They have a whole thread on how terrible macrumors is and how all we do here is bash spymac. It really was pretty hypocritical.

One of their main points was that the administrators over hear didn't do enough to prevent the members here from expressing their viewpoints about the quality of spymac's rumors.

Now, to anyone from spymac, all I can say is this. I like your site just fine, as do most users. However, if you put up junk, it will be called junk. That's the risk you take when you post a rumor. Look here at this board. If Arn puts a pic up as a rumor, and it's a crappy photoshop fake, we'll all bash the heck out of the rumor.

Arn doesn't take it personally. We don't bash him, we bash the rumor. If Arn repeatedly put up bad rumors and claimed they were real, I'm sure we'd catch on, and start saying things about the reliability of Arn, however, that has yet to happen.

Spymac has a history of some pretty bad rumors, and also the iWalk fiasco. So, you spymac people have to excuse those members here who question spymac's reliability.

But, remember, when spymac is right, we give credit where credit is due.

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Thanks, I'll be signing off for a couple of hours, I'm sure you'll all be able to carry on this thread till I get back. I've got a few more things to say. Talk to you soon.

D

i think that a one liner that IS funny can be worthwhile, laughing doesn't hurt. i mean, if it's in the middle of a thread that's hotly debated, or it's just totally off topic, most likely it won't be funny to anyone. but beej and mischief seem to have pretty good comic timing with that.

also, some threads are all about talking and rambling and such. for instance some of the macs and.... threads. and that's fine. it's also a way to get to know each other. if a thread is about a particular issue and one strays way off, then that's usually dumb. so in conclusion, i think relevance is more important than "intelligence" per se. and having briefly read what rower was saying, it seems to me he is not saying that an "intelligent POST" needs to be "intelligent" by definition, as much as helpful, insightful, uselful, or maybe even funny... but pretty much always relevant.

off topic a bit:

d-boz... last night you said you weren't coming around today. now you say you're not coming around for a few hours. you'll be back in minutes.

and may i once again point out your making fun of me for 60 some posts when you've had over 100 more than once i bet.... crazy old man.

booyah!

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
But, remember, when spymac is right, we give credit where credit is due.

seriously, has this ever happened? everytime their name comes up i just wince. all the forums discuss rumors but the quality of spymac's are well below MR, MOSR, railhead and ATat....if the shoe fits.....

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 11:10 AM
In the Best of the Web Mac sites, MacRumors is rated 47th out of 100, SpyMac is rated 100th out of 100, they barely made it on the poll. I think that just about says it all. And if they're going to be sore losers, to bad for them.

And this is a perfect example of relevancy, we're totally off topic, yet there's nothing wrong with that.

(I'm rendering, so its slow going on the t-y-p-i-n-g)

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 11:17 AM
I hope people don't think I'm trying to be stuck up or anything. I was just saying I HOPE posts will be both things at once.

And as retribution for my optimism, we now have this thread that is definitely intelligent, but has ceased to be relevant. :rolleyes:

It is definitely funny though. :D

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It is definitely funny though. :D

speaking of, does anyone else ever visit www.crazyapplerumors.com ? sometimes the jokes are a little too inside for me but the help desk has some funny moments....

i proclaim this post relevant.:)

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mcrain


Speaking of freedom of expression, did anyone else notice that Spymac removed Macrumors from its home page section of Around Town? They have a whole thread on how terrible macrumors is and how all we do here is bash spymac. It really was pretty hypocritical.

One of their main points was that the administrators over hear didn't do enough to prevent the members here from expressing their viewpoints about the quality of spymac's rumors.

Spymac has a history of some pretty bad rumors, and also the iWalk fiasco. So, you spymac people have to excuse those members here who question spymac's reliability.

But, remember, when spymac is right, we give credit where credit is due.

SpyMac got flamed hard for their iWalk movies...

it's not up to arn to block people for discussing that...

they knew what they were doing (if they were fakes at least)... :rolleyes:

britboy
May 10, 2002, 11:31 AM
damn, look at what i've gone and started now! Guys (and gals), it was only meant as an encouragement for beej, as i didn't want him thinking that his posts had any less value than those of the next person.

Now that the cats out of the bag though, this is a very relevant topic for discussion. I know i've had my fair share of one-liners, but then who hasn't? My personal feeling is that macrumors has become a lot more than just rumors, and stating whether you believe them to be false/true or possible. It's more of a community or people who (by and large) get on well and have a mutual understanding. When you're talking with friends, not everything you say will be completely relevant, possibly even non-intelligent. But, they all add to the interaction, which defines your relationship with them. Is it not possible to look at posts here at macrumors in a similar way?

I'm not condoning mindless posting at all. The odd cheeky/irreverant comment here and there can bring a smile to a bad day though :)

On the subject of intellect though (going slightly off-topic, forgive me), did you know that people in general are getting more intelligent with each generation? Since the first world war, average IQ in the states has risen by about 17 points (in the UK the rise is 24, presumably because of the better food ;)). Interesting fact to know... just thought i'd add that!

mischief
May 10, 2002, 11:35 AM
(WHhhhhhhhoooossshhhhhh.......................Splat!!!!)


How'd my banana -mango puree turn out?



(muttering:It had good balance ........ the Graham crust shattered nicely......Solid hit.):D

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by britboy
On the subject of intellect though (going slightly off-topic, forgive me), did you know that people in general are getting more intelligent with each generation? Since the first world war, average IQ in the states has risen by about 17 points (in the UK the rise is 24, presumably because of the better food ;)). Interesting fact to know... just thought i'd add that!

You know, it's harder to go from 180 to 190 than it is to go from 80 to 90, so it just makes sense that the Brits would have larger gains over the same period.

(I'm only kidding!)

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
speaking of, does anyone else ever visit www.crazyapplerumors.com ? sometimes the jokes are a little too inside for me but the help desk has some funny moments....

i proclaim this post relevant.:)

www.maccomedy.com has some funny images and movies (Ballmer...hahaha)...

Originally posted by britboy
On the subject of intellect though (going slightly off-topic, forgive me), did you know that people in general are getting more intelligent with each generation? Since the first world war, average IQ in the states has risen by about 17 points (in the UK the rise is 24, presumably because of the better food ). Interesting fact to know... just thought i'd add that!

I thought the Brits were known for bland food...but probably more healthy than the McDonalds culture we have here in the US.:rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by mischief
(WHhhhhhhhoooossshhhhhh.......................Splat!!!!)

How'd my banana -mango puree turn out?

(muttering:It had good balance ........ the Graham crust shattered nicely......Solid hit.):D

*tap tap tap on mischief's shoulder*

*mischief turns...looks...eyes widen*

*mischief starts running...but he's taken down by a coconut cream-pie launched by Rower_CPU's short-range pie launcher*

How'd that taste? he he he he

Now how do you reload this thing?:D

britboy
May 10, 2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I thought the Brits were known for bland food...but probably more healthy than the McDonalds culture we have here in the US.:rolleyes:

well we're certaintly not world-renowned for tasty food! I mean, you've got indian restaurants, thai restaurants, etc... but no english restaurants! Bacon and Egg anyone? :D

bland? Perhaps. Healthier than McD's? Deffinitely!

Mcrain.... when i think of a witty retort, you'll be the first to know :p

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
*mischief starts running...but he's taken down by a coconut cream-pie launched by Rower_CPU's short-range pie launcher*

How'd that taste? he he he he

[edited for really bad content]

Maybe I shouldn't hit post...

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by britboy
Mcrain.... when i think of a witty retort, you'll be the first to know :p

Since the first world war, average IQ in the states has risen by about 17 points (in the UK the rise is 24, presumably because of the better food).

At this rate, should I wait, or come back in a few days?

(I'm kidding again)

mischief
May 10, 2002, 11:59 AM
Mischief shakes off pie filling with a Grin, puts on a fresh nose and whips around a corner with a parting Seltzer shot. :p

There is the sound of a gas powered compressor and he re-appears wearing a rapid-deployment rotary pie rig. The ungainly device has eight spray-whip cans and a clip of 80 pie plates. A massive 8" rifled barrell protrudes over Mischief's shoulder.

*Huge Evil Grin*

" Reload you say?"

The air is filled with pies. :eek:

britboy
May 10, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mcrain


At this rate, should I wait, or come back in a few days?

(I'm kidding again)


perhaps a couple of generations would be more appropriate? :) http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/durr.gif

Is it just me, or does this thread seem to have turned into exactly what it was originally condemning?

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by britboy
perhaps a couple of generations would be more appropriate? :) http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/durr.gif

Is it just me, or does this thread seem to have turned into exactly what it was originally condemning?

Ironic...ain't it?

PS - Love the gif!

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mischief

" Reload you say?"

The air is filled with pies. :eek:

Anyone need some pie repellant?

Oh, yeah, this gets my vote for being relevant.....:rolleyes:

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


I understand...it gives it about 10 times more impact when u start reading through some of jefhatfield's posts...

he can definitely go on & on...

but he has a lot of experience to back it all up...

always intelligent...almost always relevant...

he he...i am the third oldest one here that i know of...there are actually two forty-something posters...but i won't tell...he he

i am long winded... thus the original title of hatman and "those long hatman essays"

i draw from being twice as old as the average poster here (18-20) but since i predate the widely dispersed, everyday, common computer, much of what i say (from experience) has little to do with computing or macs

when the mac was introduced, i already had strong and sometimes stupid opinions and i was actually old enough to vote:p

mischief
May 10, 2002, 12:10 PM
The silliness of taking life that seriously just cries out for well directed brevity.
:D ;) :) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mcrain


Considering my personal opinion is that age and intelligence are unrelated, and I get really really upset when older people look down on the Gen X crowd (or younger) like they are dumb just because they are young...

that be me, i am guilty

when you get my age, that parental instinct kicks in:D

when i was young, adolescent and before, i was young, dumb, and full of plenty of non-essential bodily fluids...he he

seriously though... the smartest people i have met in my chosen field of IT are the really young ones, and the best IT people i have met or know about in silicon valley over the last 25 years were or are young and didn't even have traditional IT education...eg) woz, fanning, mike dell, etc...

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mischief
The silliness of taking life that seriously just cries out for well directed brevity.
:D ;) :) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

which is why u keep smiling!!! :D

and if u cannot do it on your own...surround yourself with those who can help it out... ;)

mischief
May 10, 2002, 12:30 PM
Formula for world peace:

Equally available telecom access to Data, video conferencing and chat.

Beaucoup (sp?) Hash all around. Have a good global giggle together.

The realization that: The Universe loves EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT and The right thing is ALWAYS happening. :D

-Cheers.;)

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
In the Best of the Web Mac sites, MacRumors is rated 47th out of 100, SpyMac is rated 100th out of 100, they barely made it on the poll. I think that just about says it all. And if they're going to be sore losers, to bad for them.

And this is a perfect example of relevancy, we're totally off topic, yet there's nothing wrong with that.

(I'm rendering, so its slow going on the t-y-p-i-n-g)

That is a bad example for many, many reasons.

I hate that survey. I always see sites I like far below crappy sites. I don't feel it is a fair assesment of ANYTHING except how many DIEHARD fans you have and how hard you advertise it. Further, something like only 1000 people vote... you really think that is a fair assessment of the mac world?

I know the sites I vote for are never anywhere close to where I voted them... Many have speculated that the poll is, in fact, rigged.

And now, dont you think everyone who voted for Spymac did so remembering the iWalk? I doubt the majority of those thousand visitors even know that spymac still exists.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 12:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

After cringing in fear for...oh, a millisecond...Rower_CPU realises that mischief, still with coconut-cream obscuring his vision has unwittingly fired on britboy, a poor victim of friendly fire...a casual bystander taken out by the reckless pie assaults of the SPLAT division...

After pondering the poor, whip cream shrouded figure for a moment, Rower_CPU turns his attention back to the hobgoblin-like form jumping up and down, laughing maniacally...mischief. Rower's hand goes to his pocket, and emerges holding a small red object, barely discernible between his clenched fingers. He pauses for a second, and then yells: "Hey clown-boy! You forgot something!"

mischief freezes, as cream slowly runs down his face and drips from the end of his red nose. Rower opens his hand to reveal what appears to be a maraschino cherry. He pulls the stem off and promptly throws the object at mishief.

Rower_CPU turns and walks slowly away as the Inconceivable Cherry Grenade bounces to mischiefs feet and then explodes, engulfing him in a curtain of red sticky syrup and cherry fragments. Rower glances back over his shoulder to note the shocked expression on mischief's face, chuckles softly to himself, and walks slowly away...

:D

mischief
May 10, 2002, 12:40 PM
In the words of John Cleese:

"Right!!!! I warned you!!!! Now we'll all go up together!!!"

Mischief pulls The Big Red Button out of his polka-dot coveralls and presses it with exaggerated flair.

As the sound of a B52 echoes overhead he opens a tiny umbrella over his head, cowers and begins playng "Taps" on a Kazoo.

Seconds later the entire four block area around the auditorium is six feet deep in merengue and pinata fragments.:D

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
It's a draw then...? :D

Good show, mischief. I look forward to more such encounters in the future.;)

mischief
May 10, 2002, 12:47 PM
Shaking of hands and a bow from the cast, who all look like the last scene in "Ghostbusters".:D

Any time.:)

D0ct0rteeth
May 10, 2002, 12:58 PM
mischief;

is there a pie fighting game in the works too? :D

(maybe the most irrelevat thread ever...)

C-

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield


seriously though... the smartest people i have met in my chosen field of IT are the really young ones, and the best IT people i have met or know about in silicon valley over the last 25 years were or are young and didn't even have traditional IT education...eg) woz, fanning, mike dell, etc...

i always meet true computer geniuses and that trait pops up in a person very young...as in tiger woods and his golf ability

the vast majority of the human race are average in intelligence and that is not a bad thing

some of us are above average and some below and those traits are not always evident

but the people who truly drive the IT field, with its constant need for invention to stay alive, have in every case i have come across, been a super young genius like the teen steve jobs or teen bill gates

the rest of us average people in the IT field, myself included, got into it as a way to make a living and many of us actually went to college and/or got a certification to be workers in the field...not inventors

without those inventors, we would have no jobs

so in our little niche of silicon valley and IT, the teens and pre-teens are the future of silicon valley and like i mentioned before, the well known companies were all founded by children

so i have a lot of reverence for some of the 13 and 14 year olds here because some of you will start the companies and hire us poor old folk who went to college and didn't have the insight at age ten to change the world we live in

the first person i know of who came up with a dos emulator for mac was 12 or 13 (he's a friend of mine retired from IT now at 23) and this is not just the nineties...i lived in the same town as david packard and he would always tell me his take...hp and the concept of silicon valley was in his head since he was a kid...he was forced to go to school and play sports and do all that stuff...so when he went out and started the field in his garage going back to his childhood hobby, he was out to prove the whole educational field and the standard way of thinking in the industrial revolution was a bunch of hogwash for this new field of IT...same as woz and many others

...what if dell stayed in school instead of selling pcs from his dorm room and droppng out of school...when dell's parents first got word that their child was a millionare, they decided IT maybe was not such a bad field after all...now dell can actually buy the school he went to and turn it into an amusement park...he he

IT in silicon valley is kept alive by young minds and will continue to need the teenage mind to make it to the next stage...i have seen it time and time again

the day a college graudate, or similar older person comes up with a real IT revolution is the day the red sox will win five world series in a row

so it is almost solely up to you younguns:D

oldmac...age 13, are you listening, son

mischief
May 10, 2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
mischief;

is there a pie fighting game in the works too? :D

(maybe the most irrelevat thread ever...)

C-

If I had the $$ for the Unreal Engine liscence RIGHT NOW absolutely. Skin in Bill Gate$ and that idiot from the Dell ads, The Energizer Bunny and Ariel Sharon....... All the current idiots.

Unreal Pie Edition!!!!

D0ct0rteeth
May 10, 2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
the day a college graudate, or similar older person comes up with a real IT revolution is the day the red sox will win five world series in a row

ouch.. poor 'sox.. :(

anyway.. i agree that the true innovators tend to be younger as they have not had the inspiration and idealism beaten from them by corporate america. Working at compaq was worse than dental work.. "can i see that in purple..." "can you make it flip and spin?"

The successful creative thinkers are usually independant enough to take chances and have the conviction to stand on their own... hense the revolution with consulting in the last 5 years...

Change does not come from withen; but by industry following the leader... the leader being the most creative

think different, baby!!

C-

D0ct0rteeth
May 10, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by mischief


If I had the $$ for the Unreal Engine liscence RIGHT NOW absolutely. Skin in Bill Gate$ and that idiot from the Dell ads, The Energizer Bunny and Ariel Sharon....... All the current idiots.

Unreal Pie Edition!!!!

can we market it in an edible pie shaped box..?? :)

ROFLMAO ... he.. he.. ariel sharon with whipped cream on his face.. he.. he only his eyes peeking out... :)

C-

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth


ouch.. poor 'sox.. :(



C-

no offense to the red sox...my team is the san francisco giants...no rings yet either

but what about those patriots...they beat my raiders:(

mischief
May 10, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield


no offense to the red sox...my team is the san francisco giants...no rings yet either

but what about those patriots...they beat my raiders:(

The Canucks are second only to Colorado in their division for the first time in years. My loyalties being what they are I don't care which tam gets booted as long as a western or better yet North Western team brings home the Cup.

Beej
May 10, 2002, 08:05 PM
I hate living on the other side of the world to most people here at MacRumors. I miss all the conversation-style posting. :(

I would like to say thanks all those who appreciate my sense of humor. *cries* I love you guys. I wouldn't be who I am without you. *sniff*

I like a bit of humor in my day, hence my avatar series and my 'Damn Funny' awards... I also think it adds a bit of character to the site.

An online community (which is what MacRumors has turned into) can't take itself too seriously. The forums would just not be a nice place to be, regardless of the quality of the posts.

That said, this isn't 'JokeForums.com', so not every second post can be a witty one-liner. You may or may not have noticed, but for every funny comment I make, I make about ten useful comments (that's a guess - I didn't go count... I'm no freak...) ;)

As I think has been pointed out by everyone here, age does not tend to have a large effect on the quality of ones posts. I think there are some younger members here that add a whole lot more to these forums than a lot of the older posters. That said, older posters bring a wisdom to our discussions that us youngsters just aren't capable of - we simply don't have the real-word experience.

In conclusion *remembers high school essays, shudders* I believe that as long as a post is relevant, a post can have have any or all of three other attributes that make it a 'quality' post; intelligence, wisdom and humor.

--

I'd also like to say thanks to those who pointed out the funny Mac sites - I'd never seen them before! Funny stuff.. :D

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 08:14 PM
Well put, Beej! I think I can live with that standard.

Make sure to check out all the Spymac threads...you've missed some great stuff!

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 08:20 PM
i look to the young to see where the future of IT is headed

from the very young, i first heard about ati and nvidia, tomb raider, mp3.com, napster, burning disks, linux, and smg

from the old timers, i hear about the death of command line to gui, longing for wang, longing for vacuum tubes, and the good 'ol days of the three r's taught in school when real techies had to be smart and all have math degrees

evildead
May 11, 2002, 03:48 AM
Dude.... your getting a Dell

cb911
May 11, 2002, 04:37 AM
the reason i joined Macrumors was for the intelligent discussion, but i agree that you don't have to be that intelligent to have relevant posts. you also need a bit of humor in a forum like this, and some of the funniest people are also really stupid. i'm not refering to anyone in the forums BTW, this is just what i have noticed from my personal experience.

if a real dumb stooge posts a link to a site that i find useful, then i'll be grateful. sometimes we need dumb stooges.:D

mac15
May 11, 2002, 04:42 AM
I have some dumb posts (woah here we go)
And I don't care..... you all have dumb posts:D :D

nahh just kidding:D