Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hualon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I have a C2D Mini and, due to its limited expansion room, I have TWO of the Belkin USB2/FW hubs connected to it.

I have two Western Digital My Book Pro II Super Duper Whatever edition drives connected to the hubs. Each is a 1TB unit.

Oftentimes I'll come to the machine and find that it is completely locked up... iTunes, for instance will be beachballing (the DB and music are on one of the FW drives). I'll force-quit iTunes but it never actually QUITS until I rip the FW plug for the external drive from the Mini (I only do this because it refuses to eject too). As soon as the FW drive is disconnected everything springs to life on the Mac and iTunes quits, etc.

So I'm wondering what the problem is. Is it the external drive(s)? Is it the FW bus being overloaded with too much stuff? What do you think?

Thanks!

edit: I was just wondering if the fact that the Belkin hubs were unpowered made any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.