PDA

View Full Version : SpyMac Rivalry

Hemingray
May 10, 2002, 11:54 AM
Well well well, check this out!

http://www.spymac.com/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2239;start=0

Apparently our "friends" over at SpyMac hold a grudge against us!

:rolleyes:

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 12:01 PM
yup...

we're discussing it a bit here...
Post Etiquette (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4874)

probably should continue it here though...

and yes this short & sweet post is relevant... :D

britboy
May 10, 2002, 12:01 PM
Yes, I agree. You are doing that place a huge favor by having them their. Shut all those forum members up and don't like to their toilet.
(quoted from spymac)

and we're the immature ones? Hmmm.

iWalk's asside, the often have some decent pictures at spymac, and reading the forums is sure to make you laugh (or cry!). Still, them removing a link to this site isn't exactly going to hurt us ;)

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:13 PM
Where in the world is all of their hostility coming from? Yea, we gave them grief over the iWalk, but we don't give them that much grief. Hell, I posted a thread pointing to their site about the X.2 photos. They have some anger towards us though. Oh, well, its kinda like the competition between Patton and Montgomery in WWII. Both had the same goal, its just one was greater than the other. Same thing here.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 12:14 PM
Hey eye, you interested in going over there and posting a solid rebuttle? I'm registered there, but I've never posted. Ha, to have 1 post, that's a good one. I'm sorely tempted. We're all open about being geeks, that's ok, but I'm not all impressed with geeky whiners. I'd go in an point them to the Best fo the Mac Web ranks, they're at the bottom, we're at the middle. Let them chew on that for a while
:D

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hey eye, you interested in going over there and posting a solid rebuttle? I'm registered there, but I've never posted. Ha, to have 1 post, that's a good one. I'm sorely tempted. We're all open about being geeks, that's ok, but I'm not all impressed with geeky whiners. I'd go in an point them to the Best fo the Mac Web ranks, they're at the bottom, we're at the middle. Let them chew on that for a while
:D

Duke, I was on the debate team in High School and College. I was runner up at state in HS, but never took it serious in college. I would be more than happy to head over there and register and post. It really would be fun, but even more important perhaps bring a sense of intelligence to the petty crying that is taking place.

Hell, lets all go. Register with the same name you have here so we will know who is who.

Gelfin
May 10, 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Well well well, check this out!

http://www.spymac.com/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2239;start=0

Apparently our "friends" over at SpyMac hold a grudge against us!

:rolleyes:

*sniffle*

In case anyone from over there reads this, I guess I would be one of the "Anti-SpyMac Crusaders" someone mentioned in that thread. The forum denizens there (if any of them bother to visit this horrid little site which obviously has no readership except for the traffic SpyMac directs here :rolleyes: ) really need to understand that, personally, I don't have anything against SpyMac qua Mac discussion forum. I'm just a bit too old to engage in the puerile "my board's better than your board" thing. My objection to the site is primarily that it is run by a guy who makes $#!+ up in order to get your attention and your clicks. SpyMac was barely a site at all before a certain set of obviously CG "bathroom" photos of a poorly designed PDA appeared there. I don't believe everything posted there is similarly fake, but to me the site's credibility has been sufficiently damaged that I don't believe anything I see from SpyMac without independent confirmation.

I prefer MacRumors, and in fact it's practically the only site I visit regularly, because the front-page reporting is mostly objective. That might not be as exciting as what you get at SpyMac, but I come away with a better sense of what's actually happening, or likely to happen, with my favorite platform. Also, if you say (as some did in that thread) that it's the forum members that bring this place down, then you obviously haven't been reading the same boards I have. With only a few occasional exceptions this is one of the best groups of people it's been my pleasure to meet online. They are mostly reasonable, educated, tolerant people. Things only seem to get nasty when some idiot shows up and tries to cause the sort of trouble you'd take for granted on most boards.

Hey, for all I know maybe the SpyMac message boards are the same way. Maybe you all are a great bunch of guys and gals over there. Maybe you could transplant SpyMac discussions over to MacRumors and nobody would know the difference. But I wouldn't know because I don't trust the guy running your site. Sorry if that offends you, but that's the way it is.

iGav
May 10, 2002, 12:27 PM
Hell, lets all go. Register with the same name you have here so we will know who is who.

Heh heh.... that'd be quite funny.............

I'll go with the majority.... or those that have more posts than me...... :p

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 12:30 PM
Ah, too late, the admin locked/closed the thread. At least someone's got some brains. It would have totally gotten out of hand had we gone in there. Well, I'll save my first post over there for something better.:D

sparkleytone
May 10, 2002, 12:31 PM
children.

Hold on, let me go steal a picture from someone else and claim it as my own.

Hold on, while I take time out of my already useless life to make a fake Apple product.

Hold on, while I continue to come up with random rumors a-la MOSR.

I relate the truthful factor of this site to that of Crazy Apple Rumors (http://www.crazyapplerumors.com) .

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 12:31 PM
i think spymac's posts speak for themselves.

i'd rather not fan the flames lest we get a lot of one post bombers flying thru here.

Taft
May 10, 2002, 12:32 PM
Wankers!

They dislike MacRumors for the very reason I like it: the forums. I never visit that site and now I won't again. They just seem mean.

Long live MacRumors!!

Taft

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:34 PM
Atleast the admin wants peace.

Re:Please remove MacRumors from Around Town
Reply #42 on: Today at 09:27:43am
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've removed the link, for now.* If we get requests to put it back, then it probably will be put back.* But as of now, I've had far too many "complaints" about the site and very little support for having the link there.
I have nothing against MacRumors, personally.* I don't visit their forums, so I cannot relate to many of the complaints.
Further, this matter has been blown out of proportion.* Site rivalry is silly when both sites share the same sense of purpose.* We are all Mac fans, and all share a passion for a "simple computer company."
I hope one day our sites can work together somehow..
Thread is now locked, it should never have turned into an Us versus Them discussion.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:36 PM
Well, how is that for mature. Lets close the thread so that the folks at MacRumors can come in and fire shots *cough* explain their positions. I went and registered at that place just to post an intelligent response to the rants, and boom, thread closed. Oh, well, hopefully then will be passing through soon and we can hold an intelligent conversation about it here.

Thank God Arn will allow people to discuss, sometimes heated, topics without being the God that he actually is.:D

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
children.

Hold on, let me go steal a picture from someone else and claim it as my own.

Calm down, the admin posted a response about that last night, looks to be a fair misunderstanding.
-----

In response to the claims that "we stole the Jaguar images" from another site.
We have our own sources at the WWDC. They provided us with high quality images before anyone else.
The night I uploaded them, a Spymac member got his hands on a bunch of snapshots of Jaguar, too.* His friend sent them via email.* He was being nice and uploaded them into our gallery.
So no, we didn't "steal" anything from anyone.* If they did not originate from the member's friend, then my apologies, but at this point there is just as much evidence that they copied them from the gallery -- as if it matters.
Really, I didn't know the Mac community was so volatile.* I didn't even know this site accusing us of stealing existed until the webmaster emailed me.* At the same time, Apple emailed us telling us to remove all our images.

sparkleytone
May 10, 2002, 12:39 PM
oh ya, and I prefer our forums, as I think their YaBB looks like 5h1T!

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Thank God Arn will allow people to discuss, sometimes heated, topics without being the God that he actually is.:D

Shows our difference of opinion. I think that thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Hemingray
May 10, 2002, 12:42 PM
I can honestly say this has greatly lowered my impression of the forum members over at SpyMac. I actually liked going over there to read what they had to say, but not anymore.

(Hey... maybe they're secretly bitter that we're enjoying the Biff Tannen thread as much as they are... :p )

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
oh ya, and I prefer our forums, as I think their YaBB looks like 5h1T!

You honestly do? I think they have really nice forums, but I also think MacRumors has nice forums too. They are just completely different looks.

D0ct0rteeth
May 10, 2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
(Hey... maybe they're secretly bitter that we're enjoying the Biff Tannen thread as much as they are... :p )

That says it all right there... ahh spymac.. thanks for the soap opera!

C-

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by BeerDrinker29

Shows our difference of opinion. I think that thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Difference of opinion is what can make threads great, as long as they are intelligent. For them to lock the thread for the simple goal of avoiding a discussion of opinion is sad. That is the point that I was trying to make.

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 12:48 PM

Difference of opinion is what can make threads great, as long as they are intelligent. For them to lock the thread for the simple goal of avoiding a discussion of opinion is sad. That is the point that I was trying to make.

True, I agree, but I think the admin did the smart thing. The thread was to discuss the removal of the link, and in the end it was simply bashing both sites... what is the point in that? I personally don't want to read "why this site is better than this site".. that's pointless and a waste of time

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BeerDrinker29

True, I agree, but I think the admin did the smart thing. The thread was to discuss the removal of the link, and in the end it was simply bashing both sites... what is the point in that? I personally don't want to read "why this site is better than this site".. that's pointless and a waste of time

I can agree with that, but I had just registered over there, and typed a rather long rant about the way in which they are acting, and when I hit post. Boom, the thread was closed. I e-mailed AtariST though so that I could still say what I had to say.

I understand that a thread can get out of hand, but let the other side talk first. Hell, eve GoCyrus was given plenty of rope to hang himself with.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 12:55 PM
So then why don't we try to turn this thread into something more positive.

Like their admin said in the last message in the thread, both of our sites serve the same purpose. We shouldn't put down one of the few other Mac rumor related sites out there, regardless of how we feel about their rumor quality/quantity.

So let's avoid the Spymac bashing. After all, if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 12:59 PM
I'm sure arn is a bit disappointed that they have taken macrumors off their link list...that's less exposure he's getting...and he does need to gain more interest to sell those mugs...

but this is stupid...how childish can u be to get into a website feud because u got flamed for fake movies?! :rolleyes: :o

mischief
May 10, 2002, 01:00 PM
Or we could all go over there and start a massive inter-thread pie fight. :D

Like Westside story in Clown Shoes.:D

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
So then why don't we try to turn this thread into something more positive.

Like their admin said in the last message in the thread, both of our sites serve the same purpose. We shouldn't put down one of the few other Mac rumor related sites out there, regardless of how we feel about their rumor quality/quantity.

So let's avoid the Spymac bashing. After all, if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

Hey I totally agree, I actually go there several times a day, and I do like the layout of their site. I just did not take kindly to the name calling. I don't really like it here sometimes either, but Arn does let us work it out on our own.

Anyway, SpyMac rocks! ;)

Backtothemac runs for cover for fear that someone did not get the joke.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Or we could all go over there and start a massive inter-thread pie fight. :D

Like Westside story in Clown Shoes.:D

On second thought...naaaaaghh...wait...could we........no that'd be wrong...

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I'm sure arn is a bit disappointed that they have taken macrumors off their link list...that's less exposure he's getting...and he does need to gain more interest to sell those mugs...

but this is stupid...how childish can u be to get into a website feud because u got flamed for fake movies?! :rolleyes: :o

Preach the truth brother Eye, amen! I say we find mischief and send him on a covert operation to infiltrate their ranks. That would be way to funny to see him load up the pie thrower.....

Clicking sound....

Mischief fies a salvo from his new 45 billion dollar, stealth, kevlar tipped, auto reloading, camoed, laser scoped, 3,000 pies a minute super thrower.

britboy
May 10, 2002, 01:06 PM
After all, if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

Even if we're talking about M$?

Ok, so there's a little animosity between the two sites. Big deal. All the more reason for having spymac and macrumors sepperate. They both cater to different tastes. Doesn't make either of them wrong, just depends on your opinion.

Of course, my opinion is that spymac is just there as a parody of good rumour sites. But then, that's me. Obviously some people really like it, or else it would have disappeared ages ago.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 01:06 PM

On second thought...naaaaaghh...wait...could we........no that'd be wrong...

I don't understand why it's so wrong...when it feels "oh so right!" :eek:

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 01:07 PM
Do you think we should start a new thread to invite any Spymac lurkers (you know who you are) to come forward for some discussion?

Or might that cause more trouble?

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 01:12 PM
Do you think we should start a new thread to invite any Spymac lurkers (you know who you are) to come forward for some discussion?

I don't know....it may be asking for a flamewar...

now I'm supposed to be assisting in the prevention of flamewars since arn made me a moderator...

I say try it out...just be "nice?" :rolleyes: ;)

Backtothemac

OOOoooooh, can we please? As long as it was civil Arn would probably let it run. Man, that would be could for about 100 posts each today ;)

Mr. Anderson
TiMacLover posted over there in our defense, it fell on deaf ears. I'd just let it go, it really doesn't matter now, does it. Sometimes SpyMac comes up with something, Arn's even posted it direct from SpyMac. So let them feel all smug if they want. MacRumors is the site I choose to frequent, I'm happy with its look, rumors, the great people and all the fun we have.

Let them have their own fun if they want.:rolleyes:

Pismo
May 10, 2002, 01:13 PM
Quoted from Spymac...

"Yes, I agree. You are doing that place a huge favor by having them their. Shut all those forum members up and don't like to their toilet."

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

At least we can speak proper English:D

PS - SPYMAC SUCKS MONKEY BALLS!!!

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 01:14 PM
OOOoooooh, can we please? As long as it was civil Arn would probably let it run. Man, that would be could for about 100 posts each today ;)

Here goes...

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 01:16 PM

I've never hid the fact that I belong to both communities. I won't cause any trouble, I promise :)
Here's how I see it:
Every thread that is about Spymac is always negative here. Regardless of what it is. I never see Spymac getting the credit it deserves. Look, type in Spymac and you'll see. It's almost like there is always this "we're better than them" attitude.

I enjoy BOTH sites. They server DIFFERENT purposes. Why do we have to criticize?? Look at Macrumors -- imagine how much work is put into it. Look at Spymac -- imagine how much work is put into it! They are both Labors of LOVE!

Spymac isn't evil, they're on our side. So in the past they have had some pretty wild rumors.. big deal, didnt that just give us more to talk about?

I just want peace.. like I said, I am friends with members from both places.

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 01:20 PM
Come on down, it's up:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4884

Aquanaut
May 10, 2002, 01:37 PM
Hello, I'm new here ...

Is this The Judean People's Front? :)

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Aquanaut
Hello, I'm new here ...

Is this The Judean People's Front? :)

Um, what are you talking about?

BeerDrinker29. I have actually started a couple of threads saying good things about SpyMac, in fact one was just yesterday. :)