PDA

View Full Version : Can I install Leopard Install disc for MacBook Pro on Mac Pro.

ghoztman
May 23, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to Mac. I feel I have been suitably rehabilitated from my former ways. I bought a MacBook Pro. It came with an installation disc for Leopard. I'm not sure if it's an image or if it's the OS install DVD.

I bought a Mac Pro, quad Xeon 64 bit monster. The guy I bought it from had to retain the HDD for legal reasons. So, I bought a couple of drives that I'll slot in.

Question:

Can I use the install disc from my MacBook Pro to install Leopard on my Mac Pro?

Regards,

Ghoztman.

yellow
May 23, 2008, 09:19 AM
It's a violation of the Software License Agreement.
And if it's a gray colored disc, then no, it won't work anyway.

ghoztman
May 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
It's a violation of the Software License Agreement.
And if it's a gray colored disc, then no, it won't work anyway.

Thanks for the response.

I bought the machine and it has never been started. The reason I have not purchased a copy of Leopard, is that if the machine is toast, then I can return it to the seller without being lumped with an OS.

Is the grey coloured disc a ghost image for the MBP?

yellow
May 23, 2008, 09:35 AM
No, it's a bunch of installer packages.

ghoztman
May 23, 2008, 09:37 AM
No, it's a bunch of installer packages.

Specifically for MBP?

yellow
May 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Part of the installation process does a check of machine type, if it's not an MBP, then it fails the installation.

Sun Baked
May 23, 2008, 10:07 AM
You'd have to hack the installer and burn a new DVD to make the Mac Pro think the MacBook Restore DVD was made for that machine.

Just call up Apple and get a new set of System Restore DVDs for the machine.

Might have to pay about $20 for them, they may be in stock at your local Apple Store also.

---

Or just ask the guy you got it from for the DVDs, and grab a drive on the way home from Worst Buy or something similar.

krye
May 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
They grey installer disks are machine-specific. They only contain drivers for the machine that they shipped with. They are not interchangeable.

yellow
May 23, 2008, 10:24 AM
They only contain drivers for the machine that they shipped with.

I'm not so sure about that.

Given that I can boot my MBP using the OS X install from an Imac (and vice versa), it's not about drivers. It's simply about and EFI check for machine type. If type != what the installer disc says it's supposed to be, then it won't work.

yellow
May 23, 2008, 10:24 AM
They only contain drivers for the machine that they shipped with.

Given that I can boot my MBP using the OS X install from an Imac (and vice versa), it's not about drivers. It's simply about and EFI check for machine type. If type != what the installer disc says it's supposed to be, then it won't work.

ghoztman
May 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
I took a chance and bought leopard. Luckily the machine i bought was no dud, so I'm happy.

The guy at the store told me that the disc I got with my MBP is leopard, but MBP specific, component drivers etc. The Leopard discs contain all drivers.

As for hacking the installation. I moved from PC to mac in order to stop hacking. I just want to come home, boot up, do my thing. I leave the pc horror hack fighting for work.

Thanks everyone for the input.:cool:

yellow
May 23, 2008, 12:15 PM
The guy at the store told me that the disc I got with my MBP is leopard, but MBP specific, component drivers etc. The Leopard discs contain all drivers.

Again, I don't think this is true.

Put your MBP in target mode, plug it into your Mac Pro, and boot from the MBP's HD. It'll work.
Yet "the drivers" are for MBPs only? ;)

Proof-positive..

I just created a Leopard install on a MDD (PPC, obviously), create a NetInstall image, and now can NetInstall (in under 6 minutes) the very-same PPC image onto Intel Macs!

Tenex
Jun 24, 2008, 05:50 PM

As I've accidentally bought a C2D install set for my iMac CD can you explain how I can install Leopard from the C2D set to my iMac CD? Or am I mistaken in assuming it can be done via the NetInstall?