PDA

View Full Version : Geek Patrol offers thoughts on Safari, and how it could be i...

MacBytes
Nov 24, 2003, 09:32 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Geek Patrol offers thoughts on Safari, and how it could be improved. (http://www.geekpatrol.ca/archives/2003/11/24/onsafari.php)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

dukemeiser
Nov 24, 2003, 10:14 PM
Semi-interesting article. He points out some good problems with Safari, in a helpful format. But he also complains about problems that don't exist.

For example: he complains that links selected in Mail.app open in a new window in Safari, and he would rather they open in tabs. Well, you can already do this in the Preferences, but he didn't see it.

After that complaint, I stopped reading. I got the impression he really hadn't used Safari very much.

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2003, 10:17 PM
The points in the article are valid, but for the most part trivial. Sure, Apple, go ahead, fix them. It's a sign of a good product when complaints from users are about issues like these.

I have a few nitpicks of my own to add:

* When you control-click on an image, there is no Copy Image Address to Clipboard option.

* In the tab bar, there is no icon to click on to add a new tab.

* The cookie handling isn't exactly like OmniWeb. OmniWeb lets you allow or disallow a particular cookie or all cookies from a site, until end of session or until further notice. It's clever, consistent, and very practical.

And one quirk I didn't even notice at first, but now it drives me crazy:

* If you type text in a scrolling text box in a web form, go to another tab or window, and then return to the first one, the text box is scrolled all the way to the top, rather than staying where you left it. Grrrr!

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 24, 2003, 11:10 PM
He also stated that the loading bar was blue and sometimes makes the text look semi highlighted. Well there is an easy way around that. Change the highlighter color. I'm not a fan of the blue anyway. I use yellow. Like a highlighter should be.

ITR 81
Nov 25, 2003, 03:36 AM
All I want is less crashes and make it abit faster. Thats all I want! Make this happen Apple and a good portion of Safari users will be happy.

edesignuk
Nov 25, 2003, 07:50 AM
One feature I'd like to see from Safari is one I have only so far seen in Camino; that is to be able to right click on a tab and have the option to "View tab in new window", I love this feature in Camino, but sadly Camino is pants under Panther :(