Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
So i have had windows forever and i decided im going to get a macbook for college. use it for the basics, research, papers, aim, music, msn....on the school site they said they sell macbooks and dells. so i assume those are ones they prefer?? and do most schools have good wireless connections with macbooks??
thanks

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
So i have had windows forever and i decided im going to get a macbook for college. use it for the basics, research, papers, aim, music, msn....on the school site they said they sell macbooks and dells. so i assume those are ones they prefer?? and do most schools have good wireless connections with macbooks??
thanks

Some schools prefer the Mac, some do not. My university has no preference. As far as a Wi-Fi signal, its actually pretty crappy on my campus, or at least that's what all my friends say. My macbook picks up the signal flawlessly, way farther away than theirs will. Pick up a copy of MS Office (and try to find out what office suite, specifically Word, they're using (2003 or 2007)) and the free app Adium for your IM needs and you'll be great with it!

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
can i download AIM on the macbook? Can i use Ichat instead? is that good?
I will need AIm and Msn messneger, so do i download both or do i use ichat??? i hear about other programs, but idk y Aim wouldnt work...

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
iChat is an AIM client distributed with OS X. (Or is it just with iLife? Either way, it would come with your MacBook.)

Adium is a free multiprotocol IM client (supporting AIM and MSN, among many others) that would let you connect to both AIM and MSN at the same time. I recommend it.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I've got Adium running on my iMac and on my MB and have seen no problems what so ever. You're probably thinkin still in the windows-based world. Rarely do small aps (I'm counting Adium as a small app, especially when compared to like Photoshop or something) slow down OS X... matter of fact i've never encountered it.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
good to hear. yeah im probably going to get it next month. but im worried. but im sure i will love it.... as long as it works well and i have no problems... i just dont want any programs to slow down the macbook.. so even if i had iwork and office on it, it should slow down?
idk if i need office, i think the school reccomends it so il put it on and iword seems good to since it has a powerpoint and word.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Your college or university should have free WiFi, and if your school is anything like mine, you can be across the street or a block away and still pick-up their WiFi. In some classrooms it can be spotty, but the MB always seems to pick-up the signal better than my fellow student's PC. Connecting to the WiFi for the first time requires a username and password, and your school's website should have that information or just contact the IT folks.

ebutka

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Detroit
I use my macbook for college and I love it. I have a 2.4 Blackbook and its great. Although I go to college for photo and my college pushes mac, its a great computer. Upgraded to 4GB and its perfect. You will love it!

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
well you don't neccisarly need to buy ms office. I have it cuz my dad got it and it works on 3 macs but i also have iwork which i think has better, faster software and you can export as a word document. I've tried it and opened it on a windows machine easily. So i prefer iwork unless you need the extra stuff office has like entorauge or w.e

randomdata

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Do you think if the macbooks become aluminum, that it will affect the connection to a college's wireless network. There seems to be some discussion as to whether aluminum casing hinders Wi-Fi reception.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Some schools prefer the Mac, some do not. My university has no preference. As far as a Wi-Fi signal, its actually pretty crappy on my campus, or at least that's what all my friends say. My macbook picks up the signal flawlessly, way farther away than theirs will. Pick up a copy of MS Office (and try to find out what office suite, specifically Word, they're using (2003 or 2007)) and the free app Adium for your IM needs and you'll be great with it!

If you have a Mac you'd need 2004 or 2008. 2003 and 2007 are Windows-only.

I bet you can get a copy of Student MS Office 2008 for double digits. $149 at the most.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Dude, you need to do some serious research in how computers work before you go much further in life.

Give the guy a break :rolleyes:, he's coming from windows where most apps are badly written with abilities to bring a system to its knees

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
sorry.. but for me. it seems when i download something, my computer slows down. when i downloaded a anti virus, my computer would slow down. so i dont want to download new software on the mac and have it slow down... sorry if i dont make sense... im trying to learn more about this stuff. if you have any advice, feel free to tell me!
thanks for your help!

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
sorry.. but for me. it seems when i download something, my computer slows down. when i downloaded a anti virus, my computer would slow down. so i dont want to download new software on the mac and have it slow down... sorry if i dont make sense... im trying to learn more about this stuff. if you have any advice, feel free to tell me!
thanks for your help!

these are macs remember no anti virse and your pc were slowing down probably because virus'. i told u once ill tell u again get the macbook and i use the ichat simple easy to switch pics and easy for web cam if u want :D oh and i use msn messenger 7 unfortinitly its not the greatest not much sopport

jstntm89

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
I'm having the same issue. The college I will be attending this fall recommends both Macs and PCs, but they state the following:

*Avoid if possible a computer that makes use of shared
system memory for video memory. In the Macintosh product
line, the MacBook computers use integrated Intel graphics
processors while the MacBook Pro line offers the dedicated
NVIDIA graphics cards. We recommend that if you are going
to purchase a Macintosh that you purchase a model from the
MacBook Pro line.

I really don't think I will personally need the extra features of the MBP.
Thoughts.. comments??

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I'm having the same issue. The college I will be attending this fall recommends both Macs and PCs, but they state the following:

*Avoid if possible a computer that makes use of shared
system memory for video memory. In the Macintosh product
line, the MacBook computers use integrated Intel graphics
processors while the MacBook Pro line offers the dedicated
NVIDIA graphics cards. We recommend that if you are going
to purchase a Macintosh that you purchase a model from the
MacBook Pro line.

I really don't think I will personally need the extra features of the MBP.
Thoughts.. comments??

What will you be studying?

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
If you have a Mac you'd need 2004 or 2008. 2003 and 2007 are Windows-only.

I bet you can get a copy of Student MS Office 2008 for double digits. $149 at the most.

Check with your college, maybe you can get it at a lower discount or free. I checked at my university and I get Windows and Office for free. So check before you buy.

Where are you going by chance?

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Give the guy a break :rolleyes:, he's coming from windows where most apps are badly written with abilities to bring a system to its knees

No, he's just unknowledgable about computers, although I agree with giving him a break. Most apps on a PC are not going to bring the machine to its knees.

And jstntm89, ignore what your school says. If you need a computer without a built in graphics card, your school should have labs where you can use specific computers with the power needed. A MBP is a huge overkill for most people, and gives you less upgrade options then a MB too.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
No, he's just unknowledgable about computers, although I agree with giving him a break. Most apps on a PC are not going to bring the machine to its knees.

And jstntm89, ignore what your school says. If you need a computer without a built in graphics card, your school should have labs where you can use specific computers with the power needed. A MBP is a huge overkill for most people, and gives you less upgrade options then a MB too.

Um I know this may be off topic but I think you guys are forgetting that forums are supposed to be places to learn and share not to diss people for their computer knowledge.

I think we need to know what his major is before we can help him with his decision, you never know what he might need, if he is going to architecture or graphic design he may need a pro. Now if he is an English major I would suggest a Macbook.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Um I know this may be off topic but I think you guys are forgetting that forums are supposed to be places to learn and share not to diss people for their computer knowledge.

I am not "dissing" him for his lack of computer knowledge. I am stating a fact, which is that he is unknowledgeable about computers. I am not saying he is a raging idiot or anything, just stating the fact. That is why after that I gave helpful knowledge.

jstntm89

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
h0e0h, as of now I will be studying engineering.... however I am really not 100% sure that this will stay my major throughout the course of my undergrad years.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
h0e0h, as of now I will be studying engineering.... however I am really not 100% sure that this will stay my major throughout the course of my undergrad years.

You may be fine getting a regular Macbook and if you need something really intensive you could always go to a computer lab.

EmptyCalm

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
earth
If I bought my MacBook right now and the next week would I be eligible for the student loan discount? What's the time frame for the loan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.