Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Right now I have everything hooked into my AEBS (my iMac, aTV, and Mini) the aTV is on wireless. The question I have is I want to hard wire the aTV since the wireless has been really flaky since moving the aTV into my bedroom.

What I want to do is get a Netgear 5 port GB switch to go from (Cable Modem -> netgear -> aTV and AEBS). The iMac and mini will hang off of the AEBS and the ATV off of the netgear).

I read somewhere before that this would not work since the iMac (where the data files reside) and the aTV are not hanging off the same switch.

Anyone have a similar setup and care to share your experience.

Let me know if I confused the crap out of you and I'll see if I can post a picture of it or something.

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
There should be a way to do it so that both are on the same network. I just bought a time capsule for the backup and 802.11n, but I have so many 802.11g systems in the house that I had to leave the old linksys router attached to the cable modem. The linksys is connected to the router and then the time capsule is connected to it in a certain mode that escapes me at the moment, but I am sure someone here knows. It works great because everything on either network sees everyone.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
What I want to do is get a Netgear 5 port GB switch to go from (Cable Modem -> netgear -> aTV and AEBS). The iMac and mini will hang off of the AEBS and the ATV off of the netgear).

If I understand what you are doing, you probably want Cable Modem--AEBS--switch--devices.

On the other hand, you only list 3 devices on the LAN side, so I don't know why you don't plug them all into the AEBS.

A.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
If I understand what you are doing, you probably want Cable Modem--AEBS--switch--devices.

On the other hand, you only list 3 devices on the LAN side, so I don't know why you don't plug them all into the AEBS.

A.

Forgot to list my xbox 360

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.