PDA

View Full Version : Spymac members: Let's talk

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 01:17 PM
As I'm sure you know, there was some Macrumors vs Spymac talk over in your forums lately.

We would like an open discussion with you guys to clear things up.
Please step forward so we can put this behind us and work towards a more supportive Mac rumor community. :)

britboy
May 10, 2002, 01:20 PM
we promise not to bite (too hard :))
http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/machinegun.gif
and mischief, no pieing without good reason please!:p

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:21 PM
Here, Here!

Let's keep this mature as we go everyone. This may actually be productive. I mean, I can just see us all singing Kumbiya. Anyway, I hold no grudges towards the folks over there. So Rower is right. Come on, show yourself, and lets talk....

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by britboy
we promise not to bite (too hard:))

and mischief, no pieing without good reason please!

Actually, anyone got a leash we can put him on for a while. Man, he would make a great guard dog :D :D :D :D

......Backtothemac ducks for cover........

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 01:24 PM
Just a thought, but we might actually get a better response if we went over there with the peace offering/olive branch. They'd be more comfortable talking on their own turf.

What do you think?

And we'd have to keep it nice, no pieing, yelling and name calling.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 01:24 PM
just don't get too upset of u get a pie in the face...

sometimes mischief just cannot help himself...

it usually means he likes u... ;)

britboy
May 10, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Actually, anyone got a leash we can put him on for a while. Man, he would make a great guard dog :D :D :D :D

......Backtothemac ducks for cover........

at least you weren't the one caught in the friendly fire between those two :mad: :D

mischief
May 10, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by britboy
we promise not to bite (too hard:))

and mischief, no pieing without good reason please!

*From the shadows*

"Oh, I'll be good."

(stands leaning against the wall flipping a pie like a giant coin)

*Gleam of Jokerlike Grin*

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Just a thought, but we might actually get a better response if we went over there with the peace offering/olive branch. They'd be more comfortable talking on their own turf.

What do you think?

And we'd have to keep it nice, no pieing, yelling and name calling.

well beerdrinker is batting for both sides...so I'm sure he's spreading the word for us...;)

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
well beerdrinker is batting for both sides...so I'm sure he's spreading the word for us...;)

Beerdrinker is bi? Bi-rumors? Bi-Mac? Something like that...

(I'm kidding... I'm kidding)

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:30 PM
Here is the e-mail response that I received from AtariST (their moderator).

Dear Mr. Stacey,
I agree with your entire message. You make extremely valid points.
Unfortunately, as you can see from the thread, the majority of people do not
take the time to write serious rebuttals or mature responses.. I'm sorry I
locked the thread when I did. If you want, I can squeeze your post in the
locked thread -- it is worth reading.

I did not lock the thread to prevent MacRumors from responding -- I had no
idea that the issue had even blown to this proportion until now, when I
received your message and checked out the front page of MacRumors.

There are more important things to worry about than this silly argument. I
have nothing against your site and do understand why some feel the way they
do.

We are a new site -- only been around for a few months -- and realize that
we have been surrounded by controversy during our opening months. Hopefully
in the coming months we can further illustrate that we are more than just he
iWalk fiasco.

Regardless, send my best wishes to your community. One of the reasons I
enjoy using Macs so much is because of the friendliness of the community. I
would hate to see such an immature cause (even partially) destroy this
characteristic.

Best regards,
Spymac

Well, he seems like an honest person. I don't know if he squeezed in my post, we can check, but all in all, I have to say they are trying. We all know that their are other sites that don't, and Arn can testify that it ain't cheap to do what they do.

palala
May 10, 2002, 01:41 PM
Uhhhhh...did they actually take Macrumors off the "around town" list?

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 01:41 PM
Way to go Back2TheMac! If they don't post your message, put it here, I'd like to read it. I'm impressed with the admin, especialy with his statement 'he majority of people do not take the time to write serious rebuttals or mature responses.'

Seems to admit there are some issues that need to be worked on. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between the average age of a SpyMac member and one from MacRumors.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:49 PM
Way to go Back2TheMac! If they don't post your message, put it here, I'd like to read it. I'm impressed with the admin, especialy with his statement 'he majority of people do not take the time to write serious rebuttals or mature responses.'

Seems to admit there are some issues that need to be worked on. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between the average age of a SpyMac member and one from MacRumors.

I agree with you. I am very impressed with his message back to me.

Oh, man, I am getting close to that avatar!!!!

Well, here is what I told them.....

I was attempting to post the following, when the thread was closed. I feel that I would still like you to see what I was going to say about the idiocy of the issue.

Well, here goes post number one, and along with it probably a war. Let me clarify that I do not represent MacRumors other than being a member of the forums. I personally do not understand where your anger is coming from. I am a member at MacRumors, along with plent of other sites, however, that doesn't have anything to do with my opinion of SpyMac. I think that you guys got started off wrong with the whole iWalk issue, however, I do like the layout, and the design of your site. I feel that it is done in a very professional manner. I come here every day to see what you have posted in the way of articles, and in pictures in the gallery.

That being said, I feel that to hold a grudge against a fellow rumor site is very childish. To say the we (the folks at MacRumors) in someway endanger the success of SpyMac is ridiculous. SpyMac will either succeed on its own or fail on its own. To be frank, it really doesn't matter to us if you link to MacRumors or not. Some people there really do not have respect for SpyMac, due to the way in which the site began. First impressions are everything in life, and it takes time to overcome that. Yes, the articles here have been much better as of late, but please do not tarnish the reputation that you are starting to build in the Mac Community by allowing your members to influence site policy due to immature rants.

arn
May 10, 2002, 02:22 PM
I'm a bit busy right now... so I'll get into this more later...

but basically, the official Macrumors stand on this is that... it seems a little silly... we have nothing against spymac... and will continue to link to them for relevant articles.

I'm sorry they felt that they needed to delink us... but that's their decision.

Regarding comments about Spymac bashing... in general, I keep a pretty hands off approach to the forums... if things degenerate into flamewars, I tend to lock threads... otherwise, people are entitled to their opinions. If it's clearly flamebait and spawns pointless back-and-forth discussions... they will be closed.

more later,
arn

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by arn
I'm a bit busy right now... so I'll get into this more later...

but basically, the official Macrumors stand on this is that... it seems a little silly... we have nothing against spymac... and will continue to link to them for relevant articles.

I'm sorry they felt that they needed to delink us... but that's their decision.

Regarding comments about Spymac bashing... in general, I keep a pretty hands off approach to the forums... if things degenerate into flamewars, I tend to lock threads... otherwise, people are entitled to their opinions. If it's clearly flamebait and spawns pointless back-and-forth discussions... they will be closed.

more later,
arn

This is why I bow down before the Greatness that is Arn. Arn is a Man among Men, a Pillar of Strength in the dark and forboding world... Arn is the shining light that we all follow in hopes that we, too, will see into the future. Thank you, O Arn the magnificent, Arn the Benevelant, Arn the Master Mac Jedi Knight!

(Ok, don't ask where that came from.)

mischief
May 10, 2002, 03:15 PM
Sorry mcrain it just kinda went off. Have a towel.:D

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

This is why I bow down before the Greatness that is Arn. Arn is a Man among Men, a Pillar of Strength in the dark and forboding world... Arn is the shining light that we all follow in hopes that we, too, will see into the future. Thank you, O Arn the magnificent, Arn the Benevelant, Arn the Master Mac Jedi Knight!

(Ok, don't ask where that came from.)

I'd be one of the first to stand up and say Arn is the one and true MacRumors God. But I have a ways to go before my nose gets as dirty as mcrains:D

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Sorry mcrain it just kinda went off. Have a towel.:D

Was that lemon? Could it have been chocolate? :p

Seriously I really don't know where the Arn pledge of Allegiance came from, and no offense to Arn, but man.... where is BeeJ when you need him :confused:

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 03:45 PM
where is BeeJ when you need him :confused:

Someone's going to have to let him know, he'll be upset he missed all the fun today:(

mischief
May 10, 2002, 03:49 PM
Good texture..........doesn't stain.....feels wierd. I wouldn't use Lemon unless I wanted it to sting.;)

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 03:54 PM

Someone's going to have to let him know, he'll be upset he missed all the fun today:(

It has been a couple of very interesting days has it not? Actually, it has been a very interesting week. Hey, Duke, when I get my avatar, would you be so kind as to help me with it? I have zero photoshop skills here :p

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 04:03 PM

It has been a couple of very interesting days has it not? Actually, it has been a very interesting week. Hey, Duke, when I get my avatar, would you be so kind as to help me with it? I have zero photoshop skills here :p

Absolutely! Lets use pm to figure out where you want to go with it, just let me know and I'll start something soon.

D

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 04:07 PM
That was so funny I had to change my signature...

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
That was so funny I had to change my signature...

You could drop the context part and just put a link to the thread....

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 04:10 PM

You could drop the context part and just put a link to the thread....

Nah, I like the obscurity of it, but the way I had it just wasn't quite right...

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 04:11 PM
"Good texture..........doesn't stain.....feels wierd." Mischief
(Don't ask what the context was, it's only funny if taken by itself)

I was just thinking of a more subtle approach

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 04:16 PM
"Good texture..........doesn't stain.....feels wierd." Mischief
(Don't ask what the context was, it's only funny if taken by itself)

I was just thinking of a more subtle approach

Much, much better. Thanx.

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 04:45 PM
It looks like some members of spymac want peace, too.

http://www.spymac.com/forums/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2299;start=0

This post just has a small comment about us (macrumors), but I think it is nicely put.

blackpeter
May 10, 2002, 04:51 PM
SpyMac serves a purpose in the Apple rumor market.

Just as MacRumors could be seen as the TJ Waterhouse of rumor sites - a more sober approach to Mac speculation and analysis. SpyMac is the frosting on top - the National Enquirer of rumor sites that few of us admit to reading, but all love.

Now, about the iWalk. I don't see what the problem is. I loved that stuff. Bravo to the video's makers! A rather ingenious way to promote a new rumor site, if you ask me.

All of you guys who didn't like that stunt, I'd like to hear why? I mean, was it just for it's inaccuracy? Because I read a lot of false rumors everywhere (yes, even here) but none as entertaining. What rumor (false or otherwise) was as elaborate as that one? ...or done as well? And I can't speak for anyone else, but I waste my time on this and other illustrious rumor sites for fun (remember that?).

So what gives? MacRumors rules SpyMac by having better content, that's why I spend 90% of my time here. But the iWalk didn't turn me off to SpyMac. To the contrary, I'm not sure if I'd have ever remembered their site if it wasn't for that great ploy.

mischief
May 10, 2002, 04:56 PM
Gold Card Blueballs.

They thought they were gonna be buying one soon.

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 05:00 PM
I read AtariST (the Spymac admin) post on Spymac there were quite a few people who either SOLD or BOUGHT a large share of Apple stock because of the whole show. Those people are angry.. of course. hahahaha, but it's quite funny. It just illustrates: never take any rumor seriously.

Also, a common misconception: ThinKSecret published that iWalk story and said that Spymac collected email addresses to sell to spammers. That made everyone mad, even me. But lo and behold, now ThinkSecret removed that part from the article. Of course, it is now known that they never sold any addresses and Atari says he simply wanted to at least TRY to limit bandwidth.

Hmm, I think those are the two big things. As you can see.. the first one, well, the iWalk was pretty convincing, but it's their fault for basing financial decisions on a site called *spy*mac.
And the second one was just a misunderstanding.

It's all really quite funny how we get worked up over a website/rumor. I guess it shows how much we care about our platform and community.

blackpeter
May 10, 2002, 05:14 PM
Yep. Seems silly to me too. There are plenty of things to get worked up over at www.cnn.com. Look at what's going on in the world...

Sad that a site like SpyMac, only doing it's part by adding something really special to the pre-Expo hype, gets pissed on for being too entertaining. Love it or hate it... boring it was NOT.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 06:08 PM
I have to say that I personally thought that the iWalk was a great fake. Remember it took us the better part of the day to discover the clues that allowed us to know that it was fake. I personally want to see us all get along. We are a small enough community that we do not need to be arguing with "our own kind".

On to MacRumors. Thanks to Arn for keeping this site going. It isn't cheap, and I know we all love it. Hey, deep down, Apple loves us too, because we flame the hype.

Hemingray
May 10, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Aquanaut
Hello, I'm new here ...

Is this The Judean People's Front? ;)

He he he! :D

Probably not many people besides me and britboy would get that... ;)

blackpeter
May 10, 2002, 07:00 PM
"Ok! But to be in, you REALLY have to hate Bill Gates..."

aqunaut: "Oh, I do! I do!

"How much?"

aquanut: "...a lot."

"...right, you're in."

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray

He he he! :D

Probably not many people besides me and britboy would get that... ;)

Ha, not correct, I sent him a reply immediately because I couldn't post it to the thread, it being closed.

Is this the Judean People's Front?

No its the People's Front of Judea!

I got it, but the thread was closed so I couldn't respond.

Nice one :D

Monty Python rules! I actually just watched The Life Of Brian last weekend, go figure!

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 07:14 PM
Well, now it looks like they are having legal troubles :( It's all fun and games to poke fun, but I would hate to see any rumor site get sued.

http://www.spymac.com/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2304

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 07:18 PM
Whoa, that can't be good.

Who knows, but three law suite threats in three days is never a good sign.

Maybe they're a little too over zealous trying to get the rumors. Why go after the employees at the store for rumors, they really don't know much more than we do, and it would be their jobs if anything leaked. Honestly, its not worth that.

This type of thing contributes to my lack of respect for SpyMac, it makes me sad.

BeerDrinker29
May 10, 2002, 07:23 PM
[B]Whoa, that can't be good.

Who knows, but three law suite threats in three days is never a good sign.

Maybe they're a little too over zealous trying to get the rumors. Why go after the employees at the store for rumors, they really don't know much more than we do, and it would be their jobs if anything leaked. Honestly, its not worth that.

It makes me sad :( :(
It seems like Apple is trying to block everything. If you guys don't like Spymac, that's fine .. it looks like Apple is trying to cut them down too, so you should be happy.
The three warnings, it seems were:
Because of the Jaguar images
Because of the WWDC coverage
Because of the retail coverage

NONE OF THOSE ARE TOP SECRET! Come on , Apple! Get with it ! It's not like they were reporting G5 information.

Hemingray
May 10, 2002, 07:26 PM
Well, dukestreet and tfaz1, I stand corrected! Always good to hear from fellow Pythonuts. :D

"Wolf nipple chips! Get 'em while they're 'ot, they're lovely!"

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 07:29 PM
Well, dukestreet and tfaz1, I stand corrected! Always good to hear from fellow Pythonuts. :D

"Wolf nipple chips! Get 'em while they're 'ot, they're lovely!"

I'll have the Ostriche Speens, thanks!:D

Hemingray
May 10, 2002, 07:35 PM
After reading that whole lawsuit bit over at SpyMac, that IS pretty rotten. I feel badly for them. I think it's lame Apple has to be so anal about that stuff. But then again, it IS all part of the territory...

If Apple truly respects their followers, they'll never follow through with their lawsuit threats... but it's a mutual understanding between us and them. We report secret stuff, they tell us to pull it or else, and so we pull it. End of story. I hope.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 07:43 PM
If Apple truly respects their followers, they'll never follow through with their lawsuit threats... but it's a mutual understanding between us and them. We report secret stuff, they tell us to pull it or else, and so we pull it. End of story. I hope.

I liken it more to kids getting their hands caught in the cookie jar. Oops, so sorry, I'll never do it again.....

I don't have a problem with tracking down rumors or new hardware stories, just don't be blatant about it or risk peoples livelyhood.

My 2

D

Rower_CPU
May 10, 2002, 08:03 PM
"Albatros! Get yer albatros!!!" ;)

Well, I dropped the bomb and ran away. Sorry to have missed the action while it was hot. :(

While I'm not really surprised none of them posted here, I'm glad we were able to track down a reply from their admin.

I'm ambivalent as to the law suit claims that they were making, since it can be taken as them drumming up more interest for their articles (i.e., "Apple told us to take down the iWalk footage" :rolleyes: ).

tfaz mentioned CNN as a sober reminder of what the big problems in the world are today. I went over to see if I missed any big news, and came across this link: http://www.cnn.com./2002/US/05/10/homeless.fighting.film/index.html

Take it as you will, but I think it's a pretty sick business venture.

Beej
May 10, 2002, 08:19 PM

Was that lemon? Could it have been chocolate? :p

Seriously I really don't know where the Arn pledge of Allegiance came from, and no offense to Arn, but man.... where is BeeJ when you need him :confused: Huh? Oh? What? Yeah... I'm here. Sorry, I was asleep, you know, being on the other side of the world and all...

What do you want me for???

Beej
May 10, 2002, 08:32 PM
If anyone is wondering on my take of the whole SpyMac saga, here it is:

I think what SpyMac did when they started ut was ridiculous. Sure, it was good fun to talk about, but it was a cheap, lame, and highly unprofessional way to start out a new site. Any respect I may have had for a new rumors site was thrown right out the window by this little *ahem* publicity stunt. No, wait. It was not just thown out the window, but once it hit the ground it fell in a muddy puddle, was jumped on, driven over and ripped to pieces, before being washed down to the sewers below by an almighty rush of stinking manure.

Since then I have avoided SpyMac like the plague. This is the first time I have returned to the site (a painful experience *bursts into tears*), and that was only to look at threads linked to by people I respect here at MacRumors.

It will take a lot of high quality rumors that turn out to be true before SpyMac gains any of my trust back.

Sorry if I've thrown a spanner in the works here, but these are my feelings. If you choose to disagree, that's fine, but I know a lot of people feel that same.

-B "this is why I'm not a diplomat" J

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 08:55 PM
the main thing i want to see from spymac is for mr t from their site to make an appearance or two over here... he's pretty funny and from what i saw he seemed to be defending macrumors in general.

he pities us fools... ha

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Beej
Huh? Oh? What? Yeah... I'm here. Sorry, I was asleep, you know, being on the other side of the world and all...

What do you want me for???

Thought you would get a kick out of mischief today. He was on a roll!

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Beej
No, wait. It was not just thown out the window, but once it hit the ground it fell in a muddy puddle, was jumped on, driven over and ripped to pieces, before being washed down to the sewers below by an almighty rush of stinking manure.

John Cleese in there anywhere? Bit of a rant, but you're mostly right. SpyMac had a rocky beginning. But its not much of a surprise that no one from SpyMac, a regular, came over here and tried to defend themselves.

I'm still of the opinion that we should go over and try and 'talk' to them. I think the anti-zealot group might find more work over there, since they've pretty much driven the lot out of MacRumors.;)

And now they've resorted to throwing pies at each other.

Beej
May 10, 2002, 10:48 PM
Thought you would get a kick out of mischief today. He was on a roll! Yeah I PM'ed him and told him he was funny :)

John Cleese in there anywhere?Took me a while to remember who he is... bit before my time ;) But yes, you're right, it looks a bit like he possessed me for a second :D

Rower_CPU
May 11, 2002, 01:20 AM
Another "Pythonut" here...:D

Well, I registered over there. We'll see if I can maybe get a kind of subversive thing going...but then that might be a little difficult, since I put "I'm from MacRumors.com" in my personal text. :D

Hemingray
May 11, 2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
tfaz mentioned CNN as a sober reminder of what the big problems in the world are today. I went over to see if I missed any big news, and came across this link: http://www.cnn.com./2002/US/05/10/homeless.fighting.film/index.html

Take it as you will, but I think it's a pretty sick business venture.

LOL! :D Man, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

It's amazing what some people consider entertainment...!

Rower_CPU
May 11, 2002, 01:29 AM
LOL! :D Man, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

It's amazing what some people consider entertainment...!

Funny thing is that I can see MP doing a sketch something like this...only better!

GadgetDon
May 11, 2002, 02:28 AM
Well, I'm a Spymac member, though I've been a Macrumors lurker. (I'm also a mod, but I'm here as just a normal member and fan.) Sorry I haven't been here earlier, but I normally don't pay much attention to anything but the stories here (active participant in one onlin community is all I can handle) and it's been rather busy over on Spymac today.

I like reading the rumors on the front page of Macrumors. The problem is, when I read in the comments, it gets really tiresome to hear the same comments. I remember a lot of snickering over a 17" CRT G4 iMac (well, it's Spymac, so what do you expect), but when it proved true, suddenly that rumor lost its progenitor.

Look at it this way--as Mac fans, how do you feel when some know-it-all Windows user explains that he knows all about the Mac because he used it back in '92, and so therefore OS X must be crap? Well, how do you think Spymac users react to comments "Spymac had the iWalk so of course it's all crap and they just make it up."

For those who haven't been there lately, Atari's doing a good job with the front page rumors, and we've broken more than a couple of Apple's announcements. But more importantly, a real community is building over there. The forum represents the thinking of individuals in the community (in the case of Bif's G5 closet escapades, thinking may be an overly generous term).

Is Spymac perfect? Hell no. We've got our share of jerks in the community, and some of the rumors have turned out to be bogus. But something really good is happening over there, something good, and those whose opinion calcified with what they believe are the facts behind the iWalk, you don't know what you're talking about.

Rower_CPU
May 11, 2002, 03:03 AM
GadgetDon,
Thanks for replying!

You bring up many good points in your post. It's sad that most people still associate Spymac with the iWalk fiasco. People fail to realise that, as rumor sites, MacRumors and Spymac can make no guarantees as to the authenticity of anything posted.

I think what has made so many people here bitter is that it seemed that the iWalk was used as a means to drum up interest in the site, negating whatever credibility the fledgling site may have otherwise had. Has anyone there gone on record as to whether the hoax was intentional or simply misinformation? Please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Due to that initial bad experience, many here chose to stay away from Spymac and take any further rumors from that site with a grain of salt. Unfortunately that has carried over into a general poo-pooing whenever Spymac is mentioned on the forums. SM members heard of this, and have chosen to punish arn and blakespot by removing the link to MR from the "About town" section of the front page.

The interesting thing is that it seems there is a fair amount of dual membership between the sites, since otherwise no-one from SM would have known what was being said in the forums here, and vice-versa. It's only natural that people would choose a site they liked more, and want to feel justified in that choice. If their chosen site is bad mouthed, they will feel personally attacked.

The sad thing about this instance is that while the personal opinions of members here have nothing to with site policy as it relates to other rumor sites, the thread on the SM boards asking if MacRumors should be removed does. By removing the link from the front page of Spymac, the admin(s) are using personal opinion to shape their decisions, giving in to the childish postings on both sides of the matter.

Who cares what's said in the message boards? What's on the front page is what counts. Give credit where it's due.

I think the whole debate on who got which rumor first is pretty ridiculous, since information travels faster than it can be consumed these days. Any site can claim to "break" a story, but the truth is that once it's posted, everyone has the information and it belongs to the online community.

To conclude, thank you again for your post, and I hope we can resume a more constructive dialog between our two communities.

PS - Bif's thread was great! Too bad there was no follow-up...

BeerDrinker29
May 11, 2002, 07:31 AM
The link is back now, lets all stop this bickering.

GadgetDon
May 11, 2002, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the comments, RowerCPU, but there's one statement I'll strongly disagree with.

>Who cares what's said in the message boards? What's on the front page
>is what counts. Give credit where it's due.

Spymac is a community. If the front page completely went away, most of the regulars would still come. I argued for keeping the link (and am glad that it's apparently back), but I think it was right to put it up to the membership.

Mr. Anderson
May 11, 2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by GadgetDon

Spymac is a community. If the front page completely went away, most of the regulars would still come.

I'm really glad to see someone from SpyMac came over for a visit, to discuss the issues, and not throw around accusations. Its such a waste of time to get in a pissing match when we're actually both on the same side. I was the one to first propose to go over and post a reply to the original thread that asked for the removal of the MacRumor link. I never did get a chance, with the thread being closed down, and for obvious good reason. It might have been a mistake, anyway, to post to that thread when emotions were running a bit high...

But hopefully things will run a little smoother now that we've got it all out in the open. SpyMac's first couple of weeks were a little tough, I remember going over there to see all the iWalk stuff at the time. Its come a long way since then, it looks great, and I visit it a couple times a week to see what's changed.

But remember also, that MacRumors is a community too. We might find ourselves at odds in the future, that really can't be helped given all the individuals involved. But there are quite a few people that post to both boards, so lets just 'Give Peace a Chance':D

Backtothemac
May 11, 2002, 10:53 AM
GadgetDon,
I want to thank you for addressing this madness in an honest, and mature way. I also would like to say that AtariST was very professional in his response to the issue to begin with. I to was very intrigued with the iWalk upon the posting of the material. I also have to agree with Rower in that, if it was misinformation then just say so. I know that personally I thought it was awesome! I really did not care if you guys had worked on it for a year just to promote the site. The folks at Apple loved it, and so did everyone here, whether they will admit it or not.

I am happy to see the link to MacRumors back up on your site, because as said earlier, Arn and Blakespot had nothing to do with the feud to begin with. I hope that in the future we can have a constructive association between our sites.

Best wishes, and continued success

krossfyter
May 19, 2002, 12:25 PM
umm what? there was a spymac/macrumors war?

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
umm what? there was a spymac/macrumors war?

Yeah, we had just started getting into a inter-site flame war with SpyMac over something some of their members said/did (about taking the link to MacRumors out of their links page) but cool heads prevailed and it ended peacefully. Too bad you missed it.

D