PDA

View Full Version : Pre iphone macrumors

IDANNY
May 24, 2008, 07:34 AM
Does anyone feel that macrumors has changed drastically since the iphone? I personally dont really visit the site as much as a used to since all the iphone craziness.

ergdegdeg
May 24, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't really pick up on the iPhone. I'm usually in the Forum Spy and chose not to see all the iPhone forums.

JNB
May 24, 2008, 07:40 AM
Just turn off the iPhone-related forums in your User CP (Edit Options>Thread Display Options), along with any others that you don't frequent. That's exactly what I did, along with a few others that don't apply to my interests, and now don't even know they're there.

IDANNY
May 24, 2008, 07:45 AM
Just turn off the iPhone-related forums in your User CP (Edit Options>Thread Display Options), along with any others that you don't frequent. That's exactly what I did, along with a few others that don't apply to my interests, and now don't even know they're there.

sounds good going to have to do that,
by the way
macrumors still rocks!!

Doctor Q
May 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone feel that macrumors has changed drastically since the iphone?Yes it has, just as Apple's business has changed, press coverage of Apple has changed, and Apple's ad campaigns have changed. News, rumors, speculation, questions, and discussions all reflect that mixture of Mac, iPod, and iPhone topics.

The composition of our membership has changed too. Once upon a time, nearly every MacRumors member was a Mac owner. Now there are a good number of forum members who own iPods and/or iPhones but haven't (yet ;)) gotten a Mac.

The nature of a forum system also changes simply by growth. Registration, thread, and post rates have all continued to accelerate, expanding the breadth of discussions but also making it harder to follow a specific topic. For example, if your interest is iMacs, you can follow the iMac forums but you'll probably have to exclude a number of other forums (see JohnNotBeatle's post above) before the Forum Spy and New Posts displays will be useful to you.

PlaceofDis
May 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
Yes it has, just as Apple's business has changed, press coverage of Apple has changed, and Apple's ad campaigns have changed. News, rumors, speculation, questions, and discussions all reflect that mixture of Mac, iPod, and iPhone topics.

The composition of our membership has changed too. Once upon a time, nearly every MacRumors member was a Mac owner. Now there are a good number of forum members who own iPods and/or iPhones but haven't (yet ;)) gotten a Mac.

The nature of a forum system also changes simply by growth. Registration, thread, and post rates have all continued to accelerate, expanding the breadth of discussions but also making it harder to follow a specific topic. For example, if your interest is iMacs, you can follow the iMac forums but you'll probably have to exclude a number of other forums (see JohnNotBeatle's post above) before the Forum Spy and New Posts displays will be useful to you.

great post Doctor Q, its hard to accept sometimes that your little 'niche' of the internet has grown and changed to drastically from what you first knew it to be, but the internet is a dynamic, its almost as if its a living thing of its own, but remember that this site is what it is because of where it came from.

things will always be in flux as long as they're active, and being an active place on the internet is a good thing. you go with the changes, or if they're not to your liking you move on.

Koodauw
May 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
It certainly has changed, but not in a bad way. It seems now each day you get about 3-4 Apple related stories, where in the past, you could get 3-4 a week :eek: I find I read much more these days, and post less.

SkyBell
May 25, 2008, 01:40 PM
I do miss the old MacRumors. I wasn't around for a very long time before the iPhone was introduced at MWSF '07, but the atmosphere of pre-iPhone is the reason I chose to join this community. If I were to come up to MR these days, I'm not sure I would join. Everything has changed and, IMO, most of the things that changed, changed in a bad way. Too many spammers, too many iPhone discussions, etc.

One thing I've noticed, is there are less Mac users here. More and more people are just here because they're having trouble with their iPhone, and they know pretty much nothing about Macs, and some of them even hate them.

It's too bad MR had to change, this is still a pretty great place, but it's just not the same. :(