Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thedutchjelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Hello people,

I was getting ready to install Windows XP on my Mac. Printed the guide, launched Bootcamp.
But then, when I set Windows size to 100 GB (this would leave my mac with 33,65 GB) and pressed 'Make Partition', it was busy for a few minutes, and then my computer crashed bad - the whole screen went gray, and I had to restart it.

After I restarted I see that I only have 33,65 GB left. But the 100 GB for the Windows went missing - the bootcamp application wants me to make a new partition.

Can someone explain what is causing this and how do I get those 100 GB back?

I'm using a
Mac OS 10.5.2
Intel Duo Core 2,16 Ghz
2.5 GB RAM

update:
Okay, I believe I have to use the Disk Repair Utility that's found in the programs folder.. I can't click on the 'Repair drive' button, instead it asks me to insert the Mac OS X-installation disc and boot the computer from that.. how? And which disc? The one that came with my computer, or the Leopard disc I bought? I'm not really good in this kind of stuff, and I fear that I might destroy my computer somehow.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
When you open bootcamp is the create or remove a windows partition button lighted up?,if it is then just click continue as that will remove it so you can start afresh

If it's not then your'll have to pop in your leopard disk ( hold down the C when booting up ) go into disk utilities ,select your drive from the the left side pane,>then the partition tab >highlight the xp partition> click little - sign at the botton of the partition,once it's deleted it drag the macintosh partition to the bottom & click apply

Thedutchjelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
^^

Thanks to a friend's help i got my 100 GB back. I indeed just had to use the dis k repair utitility on the Leopard CD.

Now i'm still kinda wondering what caused the bug.

Update: It was prolly Time Machine or some random accident. With the help of that friend, the internet, and luck we managed to get Windows working. The new shortcuts kinda take time to get used to, as does the annoying GUI, but atleast I can play Portal now xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.