Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
hi everyone,

I am a bass player, and I am using garageband to connect my bass guitar to my mac. the problem is, i never get a pure bass sound from my speakers, there is always, always feedback from behind, and bass effects do not ever give a pure tone.

what should i do? is there setting that i can purify the sound, or hardware modification? by the way, i am using a cort action bass.

any help appreciated
thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
We have a Digital Audio sub-forum, which has some sticky posts at the top which cover most of the basics on recording.

Part of the problem is that the bass wants to be plugged into a high impedance instrument input, not a line in. The easiest way to control this is to add an effect pedal, preamp, compressor or amp modeller box between the bass and the input. This also gives you the opportunity to modify the bass sound (compression, eq, amp and cabinet emulation, depending on the capabilities of the pedal/modeller.)

The next step would be moving to a firewire or USB audio interface rather than the line-in jack, most interfaces will have a preamp and an instrument input, and will deliver better sound quality than the line in.

balk

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
I am using a Line6 Toneport UX1 to rehearse at home and play along with iTunes music on my late 2007 MacBook. Works very nice!
It connects via USB and I dont experience a delay although I did not record with it yet. It can simulate all kind of amps or give a pure sound back to its line out.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
thanks for all the replies, they helped me a lot.
and sorry for the thread, I forgot to search the forum :)
I am using a passive pickup.

actually I do not use a pedal and stuff like that, but I will consider my options from now on. I got the advices, thanks a lot.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
thanks for all the replies, they helped me a lot.
and sorry for the thread, I forgot to search the forum :)
I am using a passive pickup.

actually I do not use a pedal and stuff like that, but I will consider my options from now on. I got the advices, thanks a lot.

I know that I use active- EMG-HZ to be specific - and it works fine. Since you're working with passive you'll need a powered source for the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.