Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivancool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Hi all.

I purchased a 15.4 in Macbook Pro two weeks ago and I carry it in a Swiss Gear SYNERGY Computer Backpack, but I noticed that my notebook lid isn't closing perfectly parallel with the hand rest base, i.e. the top corners of my lid are 1mm or 2mm apart from it.

I realized that when placing the notebook in my backpack, resting on any of the ports side, it causes the other side to create a (tiny) gap between the lid and the base (especially in the top corner).

So my questions are:

Is this normal, or is it related to the position I put the notebook in my backpack?

Would it be better if I got a carrying case that positions the notebook horizontally (like Vyper exo) instead of vertically (as in my backback)?

Thanks in advance!

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
don't worry about it. While saying this is "normal" could be debatable, it happens to everyone's MBP. Honestly, in a week or so, the other edge might the one that's slightly higher. It changes from time to time:D (for me anyways). As long as it's not severely deformed it should be fine.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Is this perhaps caused by the physical latch? I'm hoping the next MBP has magnetic latches so it always closes completely flat.

ivancool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
This leaves me with a little bit more peace of mind. Sure it'd be great if it closed completely flat, but as it is, it's no big deal. :)

I only hope this "normal deformation" stops at 2mm max. I would certainly hate to see a 4-5 mm gap in there.

Would you then say it's the same whether I carry it vertically or horizontally?

Thanks guys!

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I'd say that it doesn't really matter vertically or horizontally. The bag you have should be fine, just keep the screen side (as opposed to the battery side) facing your back. This way any other items in your bag won't push against the lid/screen.

wrongrobot

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
San Francisco
I've noticed mine, and all the MBP's owned by friends, all have that uneven latching. I've read elsewhere that there's some hinge adjustment you can do, or ask a Genius to do for you when you go in. I haven't bothered, but it IS something that catches my attention. At least it has no functional implication. However, I also note my release latch is sometimes unresponsive. That's kind of annoying.

I agree, the magnetic clasps of the Macbook and MBA are nice. Next model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.