PDA

View Full Version : Dot5Hosting...DO NOT USE THEM!!!!

eyelikeart
Nov 25, 2003, 08:51 AM
I know I've touted these guys in the past, but my opinion has changed significantly. I have switched hosting companies, mostly because I can get more & better service elsewhere.

I've been attempting to have my account closed & credited for the remainder of the year of service I paid for, and have gotten nothing. I've submitted several emails, and have twice spoken to someone on the phone who assured me my account would be credited that day. I'll be making my third phonecall today.

I want to share my dismay with anyone who is either using them or has considered doing so. I'd strongly suggest not using a company who is only interested in taking your money, and not supporting their clients.

jeremy.king
Nov 25, 2003, 11:05 AM
If you paid with good 'ol credit card, call your credit card company and explain your situation. Often times you will hear back from the company almost immediately. Nobody likes to deal with Visa or MasterCard.

I have done this in the past and Visa really helps when I cannot make strides with a vendor.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I enjoy the service of Fat Cow hosting and the price of STP Web Hosting. Too bad I can't get both :)

tazo
Nov 25, 2003, 09:28 PM
I am just gonna put my word in for http://crisishost.com; the guy is super-super nice, willing to work with ya on payment plans for your situation, and gives ya more bandwith/space as necessary! Super super nice guy willing to do a lot for one's customers. loyal too!

crisishost.com...cant recommend them enough!

mymemory
Nov 25, 2003, 09:57 PM
I had a problem with dot5hosting too a few months ago, it was about the service. I couln't see my web site. I had to call them from Venezuela several times until I gave up and ask for a refund. They did it with no problem. That was about 6 month ago or so.

mnkeybsness
Nov 26, 2003, 12:04 AM
that sucks...

alterahosting does a great job for me... always prompt with any problems that anyone has...

but eye... i think it's a little unfair that you use your moderator status to make this thread sticky... it is really only based on one experience that you have had personally...

eyelikeart
Nov 26, 2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

but eye... i think it's a little unfair that you use your moderator status to make this thread sticky... it is really only based on one experience that you have had personally...

Maybe, but I've directed them to this thread in hopes that they see it. I called 3 times now, have left 6 emails, and can't even get a reply to them. I'm beyond pissed off with these people. My original request to cancel my account was before the start of the current billing cycle, and now it's 2 weeks into it. :rolleyes:

Sunrunner
Nov 27, 2003, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a good way to leverage power to me (making sticky)...

I have noticed that there are a lot of shady hosting companies out there lately. I recently had a runin with what I thought was a good reputable hosting company that turned out to be, (after I did a LOT of detective work when I didnt get an account after sendig them money) some guy working out of an internet cafe in Russia... The little bastard swindled me and there is nothing I can do about it.:mad:

eyelikeart
Nov 28, 2003, 11:02 AM
Well, after 4 phone calls & 7 email requests...

I've been given a full refund for an entire year of service. I was asking for my 8 months of unused hosting, but got it all. :D

And yes, I used my Mod-Power to it's advantage my sticking this thread. I wanted everyone to see it, and u would do the same if u could. ;)

Punboy
Nov 28, 2003, 08:59 PM
I do web hosting for those who are interested. Let me know how much space and transfer you need and i'll give you a price estimate.

What I offer as far as features:

Unlimited domain hosting on one account
Unlimited subdomains

Apache version 1.3.28
cPanel 8.5.3
Kernel version 2.4.18-27.7.x
MySQL version 4.0.15-standard
cPanel Theme X v2.2.5

Perl 5.6.1 / PHP 4.3.2
Python 1.5.2
Python 2.2
FrontPage 2002 Extensions

Agora Shopping Cart
phpBB forum
PHP MyChat
Php MyAdmin

Webalizer Stats
Web Access & Error Logs

POP3 / IMAP / SMTP Server
E-Mail Auto-Responders
Spam Assassin
Webmail (Horde IMP, Neomail, SquirrelMail)

MySQL
PostgreSQL
Customizable Error docs
Search Engine Submit

Hotlink Prevention
Anonymous FTP
Password Protected Directories
SSH Secure Shell (upon request)

My prices are very low, and I promise that if you find a better advertised price elsewhere, we'll beat their price by 10%

Check http://hosting.punboy.com every once in a while, as my standard packages and full feature list will be up soon.

new2mac
Dec 6, 2003, 10:42 AM
I recommend Freedom 2 Operate (http://www.f2o.org) . 250 MB space 10 GB transfer access to mysql 4.16 PHP Perl CGI and Coldfusion. For 7.00 US /mo. I've never had any problems with them
New2mac

krossfyter
Dec 7, 2003, 02:47 AM
eye...if i bought a domain name through dot5hosting... my current hosting source... can i have it redirected to another hosting service?

electric
Dec 8, 2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks eyelikeart,

Thanks for posting this thread and thanks for making it sticky, I have just been through a bad period with dot 5 hosting myself. Here is the last email I sent this morning after receiving a canned response and then finding out my sites were inaccessible:

Here is copy of an email I sent to Chris the CEO. I have no way of continuing payment via the payment system I opened the hosting account with... only a month ago, so I now must seek out another hosting service. Thanks a bunch. Some advise: Perhaps everyone at Dot 5 should get on the same page, or at least the same email!

Hello Chris,

I ordered my Dot5 hosting account with the intention to use my AMEX but found no option except via PayPal with the help of a Dot5 employee named John Haines [Ticket ID #BRT-98482-697], I then opened a PayPal account for the sole purpose of signing up. I intended to pay for a full year but there was no option given to me through the ordering process, I then corresponded with John Dritsas and again John Haines and was sent an email stating "I have set your billing cycle to anual and created an invoice for the difference" [ #BRT-98482-697] . Nowhere along the line was I informed that Dot5 was no longer accepting paypal or had plans to stop accepting within the next month.

I unfortunately do not carry a credit card that allows me to pay my balance and therefore do not know what to do at this point, you guys have been a great service so far and I am not looking forward to seeking a new hosting company.

When I think about it they really were not that great, I had several downtimes and periods of no ftp ability and sometimes I could not receive email, sure they would reply emails right away but most of the replies said

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions you may have regarding this matter. You can reopen this ticket or open a new ticket for the same.

Regards,

"We look after our customers, or someone else will"

They did not look after their customer and now someone else is. I set up service with a new server and am crossing my fingers.

T

basicman
Jan 13, 2004, 08:09 AM
I see that your post was from 2001, well things have not changed one bit -- except perhaps to get worse. Their tech support guys are really fast at telling you nothing and doing nothing.

I only wish I had seen your post before I move so many domains to them.

basicman
Jan 13, 2004, 08:11 AM
So... who do I turn to for dedicated server hosting? Any good experiences out there?

brianellisrules
Jan 13, 2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by basicman
So... who do I turn to for dedicated server hosting? Any good experiences out there?
There's another post floating around here that's multiple pages long where everyone touts their host as being the best.

That said, there's also a free promotion with www.1and1.com that's about to expire (tomorrow, I think) for 3 years of free hosting. Several people have good things to say, except for the slow control panel load times when using Safari. I signed up and have some webspace with them, but I haven't done much yet.

I use www.netrillium.net for my website. I've been with them for about 4 months now and so far everything's been great - zero problems. I've contacted their tech support several times and the longest I've had to wait for a response was like 6 hours. No complaints here.

mnkeybsness
Jan 13, 2004, 09:52 AM
let me just say that the free 1and1.com is aMAZing!... just use mozilla firebird when you need to access the control panel.

i have had zero downtime and absolutely no problems at all with them, unlike my old host which touted 99.99% uptime, i had about 3 hours every couple weeks of downtime... right in the middle of the day... and they tried telling me that everything was fine and that it was my internet connection that was bad!

Kwyjibo
Jan 13, 2004, 11:33 AM
I feel as a former dot5 customer i should chirp in here.

For the last seven or so months I was using dot5 , I did everytihng thru them (setup domain and histing) because that seemed like the simple thing to do. I picked a plan to pay my bill on a month by month basis incase i decided the hosting company wasn't for me or if it folded or whatever. Last week I canceled my service and transfered my domain to point to my free webspace at 1and1.com. So far thats been a pleasant experience.

Pros of dot5:
I always had luck with the online help people, they even closed my account for me and repointed my domain. They were helpful and made my first website a little more bearable.
It was easy to create ftp accounts/email accounts quickly
They had great stats software (urchin 4) that I was using for free.

Cons at dot5:
They once shut down my domain three times because they lost a paypal payment, I was livid and it got fixed with enough complaining but i shouldn't have had to do it in the first place.
I stopped getting billing emails and I don't know if I owe them any money anymore.

overall I learned a lot because of my time at dot5 butwith a free option i can learn about a lot of the things that i need to run the website. 1and1 is good but things do take a little longer and the ftp/email stuff is trickeir to configure. Bottomline is that I'm not as scorned as everyone else ... but i wasn't dissatisfied with my time with them completely.

Rower_CPU
Jan 13, 2004, 12:21 PM
So far my dot5 experience has been fine, less a short outage during a server upgrade.

Horrortaxi
Jan 16, 2004, 12:42 AM
I used Dot5 for about 6 months. I was always able to get good tech support--though I needed it more that I think I should have. I was never 100% satisfied but they were cheap. I regularly got double billed and finally one day their server was "compromised" and they lost all their data. I only found out after I emailed them asking where my website went. "Hi, yes--we lost everything. If you'll tell us who you are we'll reinstate your account." I switched hosts immediately and cancelled Dot5. I still get billed.

mystixman
Jan 18, 2004, 10:31 AM
Host Dime Web Hosting (http://hasweb.com)

These people give so much for so little. Their uptime is amazing, as well as their customer support. CPanel is also included.

Rower_CPU
Jan 23, 2004, 09:21 PM
OK, I'm an official dot5 hater now. They just let my domain lapse for the second time in 24-hours even though I paid for my renewal 2 weeks ago.

:mad:

Needless to say, I'm shopping around.

brianellisrules
Jan 24, 2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
OK, I'm an official dot5 hater now. They just let my domain lapse for the second time in 24-hours even though I paid for my renewal 2 weeks ago.

:mad:

Needless to say, I'm shopping around.
coughwww.netrillium.netcough ;)

Rower_CPU
Jan 24, 2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by brianellisrules
coughwww.netrillium.netcough ;)

Hey, keep it in the web hosting recommendations thread!

This is for dot5 bashing only. ;)

Nermal
Jan 30, 2004, 01:04 AM
Nothing to do with Dot5, but I feel like sharing a funny-ish story.

My dad has an old website he doesn't want anymore. So at the end of the year, he gets a message from the hosting company saying that if he wants to continue with the site, he'll need to pay for the following year. That's fine, he doesn't need the site anymore, so he didn't pay.

A couple of weeks later, he gets a "reminder" that the current billing cycle has nearly finished and he'll need to pay within the next 2 weeks.

Two weeks later, he's told he needs to pay by the end of the week.

The following week, he gets an email saying they'll disconnect his account in 3 days if he doesn't pay. Of course, since he doesn't want the site, he doesn't pay.

A week later, he gets another message saying he's got 3 days left. Fast-forward by 2 months or so, he's still getting messages saying they're going to cut off his account (and the site still works perfectly).

I wonder how long it's going to last? :rolleyes:

xjohn
Feb 16, 2004, 05:40 AM
I'd just like to add another voice against Dot5Hosting.

See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60667

Rower_CPU
Mar 2, 2004, 12:14 AM
Protest dot5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=732001#post732001)

eyelikeart
Mar 5, 2004, 09:50 AM
got it... ;)

I'll be around later this afternoon. Hit me up if u are around & let me know of any developments.

dickwebb
Mar 11, 2004, 05:05 PM
Just joined this forum today. I have my church site hosted with dot5hosting. It's been so-so until the last week. I can no longer get my admin page and the ONLY way I've been able to contact their support is via that Live Support thing. That can't be a real person on the other end. One of the "TECH" replies was "I checked that thrice." Who would say a thing like that?

Anyway, I'm recommending to the church ASAP that we switch hosts. I've read thru the posts and seen some recommendations. I may recommend 1And1 because I took them up on their free offer and it seems to be 100% THERE, no problems. But then I haven't needed to contact their support, so I don't know about that.

Anyway, it was interesting to see how many folks have reported problems with them. After I Googled "dot5hosting & problem" I informed "TECH" that I got over 400 hits. He had no reply.

-- DW

eyelikeart
Mar 11, 2004, 05:19 PM
Anyway, it was interesting to see how many folks have reported problems with them. After I Googled "dot5hosting & problem" I informed "TECH" that I got over 400 hits. He had no reply.

No surprise there. It seems the longer time goes by, the more pissed off people are with them. :rolleyes:

djbahdow01
Mar 11, 2004, 05:25 PM
I recomend thrillhost.com Granted they were just bought out by another hosting service but the new company is very courteous and very responsive to problems and responses. I recieved a response on a question i had in about 3 hours or so. Pretty quick considering they are probably recieving many emails a day. Also the price was right for me. 3GB of space and 30GB of bandwith for $10 a month. Granted prices have gone up and i am on a reseller account but over all it is a really good company.

xjohn
Mar 11, 2004, 05:27 PM
What amazes me is how unflappable they are. I've sent them repeated emails about why I should get a refund, at least for the month that their service failed and they lost all of my data, but each time they send me the same reply. The amazing thing is that it's not a form letter, or at least I don't think it is, because there's usually a subtle difference in each email. A grammar mistake here, an extra word or sentence there.

But always, of course, "We look after our customers, or someone else will".

Rower_CPU
Mar 11, 2004, 05:30 PM
What amazes me is how unflappable they are. I've sent them repeated emails about why I should get a refund, at least for the month that their service failed and they lost all of my data, but each time they send me the same reply. The amazing thing is that it's not a form letter, or at least I don't think it is, because there's usually a subtle difference in each email. A grammar mistake here, an extra word or sentence there.

But always, of course, "We look after our customers, or someone else will".

I've noticed the same thing. There are real people on the other end, but they spit out the same tripe every time.

PS. They seem not to be answering their phone today, either. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

Sparky's
Mar 14, 2004, 09:15 AM
krossfyter, try www.godaddy.com I had 2 domain names registered with "Domain Bank" for $35 each for 2 years ($140) which I thought was really high. A business associate of mine uses them exclusively for his web hosting and e-mail services. I went there and had my domain names transfered for only $7.95 each. I have yet to develop my site but when I do I will seriously consider using them.

teabgs
Mar 17, 2004, 09:48 PM
wow. it isnt just me!

I'm VERY fed up with them. After having my webpage down for the majority of a two week period I flooded them with emails about how I wasn't receiving ANY responses EVER to my emails, that my page kept being down, so I couldnt access my email....and other frustrations. this was a month ago.

Finally things seem to be working fine, BUT I've yet to receive any response, even though I asked SPECIFICALLY for a reply so that I know there is a physical person there....well...

their motto is "we take care of our customers or someone else will" or something close to that. My service is up in a few months, and I'm uber-busy until then, so Im sticking with dot5 for the duration of my contract. Luckily I got my domain elsewhere.

I'll be switching though, so I gotta read most of this thread (no time right now). They used to be great and have awesome service and no periods of time where my page was down...

damn you Dot5....damn you

eyelikeart
Mar 17, 2004, 11:02 PM
wow. it isnt just me!

damn you Dot5....damn you

just u wait my friend...

just u wait... ;)

xjohn
Mar 18, 2004, 01:19 AM
This might have been true for a while, but looks like this thread is now #1 for dot5hosting sucks (http://www.google.com/search?q=dot5hosting+sucks&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8).

eyelikeart
Mar 18, 2004, 07:44 AM
This might have been true for a while, but looks like this thread is now #1 for dot5hosting sucks (http://www.google.com/search?q=dot5hosting+sucks&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8).

aww yeahhhh...

rock it!!! :D

teabgs
Mar 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
Not only is my server (which means my email) down, but I can't even go complain because the dot5hosting webpage is down!!!!

I'm waiting to hear back from an employer about a VERY IMPORTANT JOB if I get it....this is NOT acceptable. They better be back up soon, and NOT be out of business. it wouldnt really surprise me if they went under with the way their service has been lately...

thanks to google for cahing sites! I have their phone number. BUT of course no answers. And then it tells me to leave a message on "mailbox number xxxxx". WTF?

EDIT: where's the host recommendation thread? I'm kinda leaning towards http://crisishost.com/ right now...which I saw in this thread...

IH8DOT5
Mar 26, 2004, 02:56 PM
I have 2 sites hosted with dot5. I can't believe how horrible the service and uptime is. As soon as my sites are back, I'm going to back them up then kick dot5 to the curb. I just hope I havent lost everything like my buddy did when they hosted his site. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Update:
I changed hosts to www.powweb.com. The do5 server I was on (ns10) is completely gone now. They have been telling me they can get me a backup when they move the data to another server. 48 hours ago they told me it would take 12 hours and still nothing. I lost 1.5 years of forum data and all my other files. I am kicking my self for not doing a backup of my site for the last 6 months.

Freakk123
Mar 28, 2004, 03:57 PM
I would highly recommend both Fuitadnet and Oktagone. Having experience with both, I would have to say that they are a delight. The people who run them are very helpful, and know what they're doing. They have good prices, and fairly good uptime... Check 'em out.

macmamma76
Mar 29, 2004, 11:01 AM
Well, because I'm new and didn't login first I lost my reply. What a day. :(

I am lacking the energy that I had earlier to write the response over. Just know this, when their servers die or something goes wrong there's no one to help or fix it.

My site has been down since the 24th and I fear all is lost. My husbands site as well, which he put a lot of effort into. I hope that enough of these comments will prevent someone else from having to go through this in the future.

xjohn
Mar 29, 2004, 11:59 AM
Remember to add the dot5hosting link to your signatures...

Horrortaxi
Mar 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
Remember to add the dot5hosting link to your signatures...
And then post a lot. :)

xjohn
Mar 29, 2004, 12:16 PM
exactly...

electric
Mar 30, 2004, 11:45 AM
I have one last client located at dot5 hosting that was hacked recently, The hacker overwrote all of the index pages with "bloodbr - where there's will, there's a way - intelligence is everything - hellsink@hackermail.com ;D"

Of course when I try and change the FTP password I cannot get to the admin page and of course when I use their support form I get no response, in fact I think dot5 has eleiminated their SUBMIT button on their Support form and replaced it with another RESET form button, because when I hit the submit button all that happens is the form fields go blank and I get no "thank-you" page.

Thanks a bunch Chris! it's been a real adventure.
"We laugh at our customers, so someone else will"

Horrortaxi
Mar 30, 2004, 12:02 PM
I noticed their forums had gone offline when my website got lost. Convenient.

IH8DOT5
Mar 31, 2004, 09:07 AM
After finnally getting a backup of my data I sent dot5 a email to cancel my account. With no suprise I got no response. I tried to get them via live support all day yesturday. I Finnally got through last night. I told them I wanted to cancel and they offered me 1 free month...hahahahahahaha! I told them no and they canceled my account. I expected to get credit for the remainder of the year (6 months) but the told me they do not give refunds after 30 days. What a joke. I'm so pissed.

NusuniAdmin
Apr 1, 2004, 05:48 AM
Use frogee, ive been using them for a year, they have EXCELLENT and affordable services. If you go on their site it may look like a scam, but it really is not. I recommened them 100000000000000000000000000%!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.frogee.com

vorare
Apr 1, 2004, 11:47 AM
Well I'm glad (I guess) to see that I'm not the only one having problems with Dot5. My site died about two weeks ago, and after several emails (w/o reply) my site finally came back up. Can't access email, stats, or admin panel, but the site itself is there. I'm planning on switching to a new host, since my prepaid 1-year runs out next month.

Has anyone considered the possibility of a class action? There's a pretty strong case here, given their deceptive advertising/claims.

Horrortaxi
Apr 1, 2004, 11:57 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility of a class action? There's a pretty strong case here, given their deceptive advertising/claims.
What's the phrase? You can't get blood from a stone. I always got the impression that Dot 5 was run out of somebody's living room, and that's when they were doing well. Once a companny goes belly up (especially a small company) you have about zero chance of getting anything from them. You might be able to find someone to sue, but collecting anything is a different story.

vorare
Apr 1, 2004, 04:13 PM
What's the phrase? You can't get blood from a stone. I always got the impression that Dot 5 was run out of somebody's living room, and that's when they were doing well. Once a companny goes belly up (especially a small company) you have about zero chance of getting anything from them. You might be able to find someone to sue, but collecting anything is a different story.

A little bit of digging turned up that dot5 is owned by Enom, Inc. (http://www.enom.com/), which appears to be a pretty well established registrar and web host. You're right that the issue probably wouldn't be worth pursuing legally -- I doubt any lawyers would be willing to take it since the potential pay off would be so small -- but for those trying to get a refund, the threat of a lawsuit may be enough. ;)

IH8DOT5
Apr 2, 2004, 03:57 PM
A little bit of digging turned up that dot5 is owned by Enom, Inc. (http://www.enom.com/), which appears to be a pretty well established registrar and web host. You're right that the issue probably wouldn't be worth pursuing legally -- I doubt any lawyers would be willing to take it since the potential pay off would be so small -- but for those trying to get a refund, the threat of a lawsuit may be enough. ;)

I could be wrong but I think they just use enom to register domains. ie: dot5 is just an enom reseller.

gunface
Apr 3, 2004, 08:25 AM
I have an issue with my domain name and I'm really hoping someone here can help me out.

When I signed up with Dot5, I also registered my domain through them as well. Which means that the information associated with the domain is Dot5, or more specifically, the contact is chris@dot5hosting.com

I'm assuming this e-mail isn't working, which creates a problem because I want to transfer my name to GoDaddy (I'm trying to get out while I can), but in order to transfer they need the "go-ahead" from the domain contact, which is Chris' email.

So what can I do in a situation like this? Are there any e-mail adresses currently working for Dot5? Any phone #'s? Or is livechat the only way of getting in touch with these idiots?

Here's what GoDaddy wants:

"To complete your recently requested transfer we must receive approval of the administrative contact currently associated with the domain name(s).

We have determined that the email address of the current administrative contact is as listed below and a request for approval has been sent to that address. If you believe the email address below is not correct, you must visit your current registrar and have it updated. Click here for a complete listing of registrars.

Current Administrative Contact Email:
chris@dot5hosting.com"

How do I make this work?

Please don't tell me I'm screwed - there has to be a way to sort this out...

Rower_CPU
Apr 3, 2004, 12:38 PM
gunface-
You should be able to log into eNom and change the registration info. Here's the URL they gave me:

http://access.enom.com/

Log in with your domain name and admin password and you should be able to change all the contact info.

Good luck!

xjohn
Apr 3, 2004, 08:06 PM
Well, now I think it's me that's an idiot.

When I switched to MT from Dot5Hosting, I forgot to switch my domain (riverbendfarm.org). Now I think my domain's expired, and I have no idea what to do...

Any ideas?

Here's the rub: I just printed out wedding invitations with a riverbendfarm.org email address as the contact info...

Rower_CPU
Apr 3, 2004, 08:47 PM
If it's expired you should be able to reregister it, unless someone else beat you to it, right?

You might also try the enom URL I entered above to see if you can access any account info.

xjohn
Apr 4, 2004, 10:04 AM
The problem is that it's still showing up as registered by dot5... but I can't get in touch with them at all.

This is sort of scary.

xjohn
Apr 5, 2004, 03:45 AM
Ok, I'm really not sure what to do now. All of my attempts to contact Dot5 are failing.

LiveSupport tells me to send an email.

My email gets returned as undeliverable.

Live support tells me to try to send the email again later.

My email gets through, but they respond by telling me to contact the registrar. This won't work because the domain still shows up as registered through dot5 (see the whois data).

Rower: I tried going through the Enom site, but the domain shows up as expired.

But when I try to reregister the domain, Network Solutions tells me it's unavailable.

At this point, I don't really care about the domain that much. I could just switch to a new one. It's not like I have a heavy-traffic site.

But... the invitations to my wedding list a riverbendfarm.org address as the RSVP...

I'd love any more suggestions that anyone has. Does anyone have a phone number for Dot5? I can't even get to the support page (http://www2.dot5hosting.com/vsupport/) anymore... I get an error message that says: "Egad, we're reporting this error!"

Argh.

NusuniAdmin
Apr 5, 2004, 06:11 AM
Ok, I'm really not sure what to do now. All of my attempts to contact Dot5 are failing.

LiveSupport tells me to send an email.

My email gets returned as undeliverable.

Live support tells me to try to send the email again later.

My email gets through, but they respond by telling me to contact the registrar. This won't work because the domain still shows up as registered through dot5 (see the whois data).

Rower: I tried going through the Enom site, but the domain shows up as expired.

But when I try to reregister the domain, Network Solutions tells me it's unavailable.

At this point, I don't really care about the domain that much. I could just switch to a new one. It's not like I have a heavy-traffic site.

But... the invitations to my wedding list a riverbendfarm.org address as the RSVP...

I'd love any more suggestions that anyone has. Does anyone have a phone number for Dot5? I can't even get to the support page (http://www2.dot5hosting.com/vsupport/) anymore... I get an error message that says: "Egad, we're reporting this error!"

Argh.

I have just threatend them with a email. If they dont provide a number the BBB is who i'll call. Even though i have not gotten ripped off directly, I can give the BBB a url to this forum.

Just look on the side of the network page, with the quotes. Setup time in 2 hours, haha. My frogee.com got set up INSTANTLY and the domain only took one hour to go through all the servers and get registered completely.

By the way, the support page is here: http://www.dot5hosting.com/support.php

The phone number is on the top right corner of like every page anyways.... Just relized that.

xjohn
Apr 5, 2004, 08:26 AM
Whoops. I feel very silly for not noticing the phone number. :)

Unfortunately I'm in Beijing and I'm can't seem to dial toll-free numbers from here. Working on that one...

Thanks also for passing on the link to support. The link to the support page from the front page still doesn't work for me.

eyelikeart
Apr 5, 2004, 08:48 AM
The only advice I can give is to be persistent. I called, then called, then called, and called. I also sent numerous emails, but those proved to be mostly ineffective.

I'm understanding that they may be harder to deal with, now that I've set whatever "precedent" a few months ago by actually getting a full refund, but still keep trying. It sucks, but that's about all u can do.

xjohn
Apr 5, 2004, 08:56 AM
This might be a bit off-topic, but...

Does anybody know how to call US toll-free numbers from abroad?

I usually use BigZoo (http://www.bigzoo.com/) to call the US, but it chokes on toll-free numbers. I'm itching to speak with someone from Dot5 on the phone.

[Hmm... Now that I think about it, given my signature, nothing I post could possibly be off-topic in this thread... :)]

[Edit: Well, I'm the fool again... it turns out I can direct-dial the toll-free number from here... not sure how much I'm getting charged, though...]

Rower_CPU
Apr 5, 2004, 01:08 PM
NusuniAdmin-

I've already gone the BBB route, but, since their US offices seem to no longer be in existence (or at least there's no-one responding there), the BBB can't do anything.

Which is why we have a website project in the works. We hope to have it up this week. :)

eyelikeart
Apr 9, 2004, 02:14 PM
Ok everyone...

www.dot5sucks.com (http://www.dot5sucks.com)

This project is the work of Rower. After extensive conversations on Dot5's crappy service, the idea to launch an "anti-Dot5" website was born, and it's launched today.

So everyone, click the link above, and register. There's a forum to rant about them even. :D

Rower_CPU
Apr 12, 2004, 04:40 PM
For those of you that missed last week's announcement...look up. ;)

eyelikeart
Apr 12, 2004, 05:46 PM
For those of you that missed last week's announcement...look up. ;)

Yeah, we're giving away free toasters with each new registration! :eek: :D ;)

Horrortaxi
Apr 12, 2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah, we're giving away free toasters with each new registration! :eek: :D ;)
Mine came today. I toasted a bagel with it. Yummy.

mark-uk
Apr 13, 2004, 08:59 AM
Dot5host has been brought out by iPoweWeb.

Looks like the owner of dot5 couldn't handle the rate of growth that his hosting company had.

If anyone still has their website hosted at dot5 and needs help/advice to move it elsewhere them feel free to pm me because a lot of my cleints have moved from dot5 hosting.

eyelikeart
Apr 13, 2004, 11:49 AM
Mine came today. I toasted a bagel with it. Yummy.

Cinnamon Raisin or Whole Wheat? :D

Rower_CPU
Apr 13, 2004, 05:27 PM
Dot5host has been brought out by iPoweWeb.

Looks like the owner of dot5 couldn't handle the rate of growth that his hosting company had.

If anyone still has their website hosted at dot5 and needs help/advice to move it elsewhere them feel free to pm me because a lot of my cleints have moved from dot5 hosting.

It would be great if you posted over at http://www.dot5sucks.com or got your clients to. :)

Horrortaxi
Apr 13, 2004, 07:16 PM
Cinnamon Raisin or Whole Wheat? :D
Blueberry.

eyelikeart
Apr 13, 2004, 08:33 PM
Blueberry.

YUM!!! :D

webarts
Apr 19, 2004, 08:58 AM
I'm using this host for 2 years
they are very reliable and cheap

unlimited php,asp,.net,jsp hosting
unlimited mssql and mysql
unlimited webspace
unlimited bandwidth
unlimited pop3 emails
starter fee : $1.66/month

http://www.technolojik.net

Rower_CPU
Apr 19, 2004, 09:26 AM
It would be great if folks would post their web hosting recommendations over at the dot5sucks forums (http://forums.dot5sucks.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=f6203bae788c2a3cd24118c32d7c115d), too. :)

teabgs
Apr 19, 2004, 09:31 AM
It would be great if folks would post their web hosting recommendations over at the dot5sucks forums (http://forums.dot5sucks.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=f6203bae788c2a3cd24118c32d7c115d), too. :)

Way to pimp it!

eyelikeart
Apr 19, 2004, 10:23 AM
Way to pimp it!

hell yeah...we worked hard on that site... ;)

ipacmm
Apr 27, 2004, 05:18 PM
I have my own hosting company, StudioMSM.com, I offer full MAC OS X hosting and dedicated hosting packages.

NusuniAdmin
Apr 27, 2004, 05:27 PM
I have my own hosting company, StudioMSM.com, I offer full MAC OS X hosting and dedicated hosting packages.

Cool, what type of lines are you ran on and how much do they cost (just a rough estimate) ?

ipacmm
Apr 27, 2004, 06:22 PM
Cool, what type of lines are you ran on and how much do they cost (just a rough estimate) ?

For information regarding web hosting packages, check out my site:

http://studiomsm.com/webhosting/

for all the information you may need.

teabgs
May 2, 2004, 06:44 PM
I finally cancelled my Dot5hosting account today. They do appear to be attempting to change though. I had to send 3 emails before they would cancel it, but at least it was because they responded in a timely manner, first asking why I wanted to cancel. Then to offer me a new contract with 3 free months, or ask if they could do anything else to satisfy me. Then I replied that I was happy with my new host and just wanted to cancel my account and they did.

At least it looks like they're trying now. but it's too little too late, and I don't trust them anyway.

blueguy
Jun 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
Hey,

Look at this! http://www.themickeyzone.com/archives/000038.php. Also, when I tried to look at the status of dot5hosting's servers (surprise, surprise), it too, was down. (My opinion, it's so bad, you can't see it.) Anyways, look at this (http://www.dot5hosting.com/testimonials.php) and this (http://www.dot5hosting.com/reasons.php) for laughs. Also , good job with dot5sucks.com.

Dot5Hosting = :mad:

NusuniAdmin
Jul 22, 2004, 12:12 AM
well this is not about dot5hosting but i am probably leaving my provider frogee.com. they have recently moved colocation centers and nothing has been right since. Ive had TERRIBLE uptime.

Anyone know of any other cheapish (less than 10 dollar) webhosts out there. I am not too worried about php and all that junk.

blueice02
Oct 17, 2004, 06:11 AM
I wish I had read this thread a month ago. A friend recommended them to me and it has been h*ll dealing with them since. I can't wait to wash my hands clean of them for good.

blueice02
Oct 17, 2004, 06:13 AM
...by the way, I'd highly recommend www.icdsoft.com. The price is right and you get some bang for your buck. Customer service is also top notch.

Adamrg
Dec 31, 2004, 02:30 AM
Here is a quote from my up-teenth time contacting support for different issues.

Adam: ... Im curious, has he been working on this for the last 8 hours?
Mike: No, I just had an chat with my admin and he will email you as soon as possible.
Adam: I have a number of concerns with the quality of my hosting service (the support has been good). So many problems. Where can i direct these issues, and collect on my 30day money back guarentee?
Mike: Adam, we are really sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you.
Mike: Please be sure that your problem will be definately solved within an hour.
Adam: I understand. If you have any kind of record on my account you will notice that it has been littered with problems since I started.
Mike: Yes, I know everything
Mike: Bur please beleive me that, your problem will be solved within an hour.
Adam: I know you are removed from the sys admin, but if this is going to take an hour now, why wasnt it fixed when i talked to somone this morning?
Mike: I am really sorry for all that had happened. and will see to it that this will not be reapeted.
Adam: Is there some specific reason that my account is having so many problems? If so, maybe i could understand. But so many different things. You must see my point of view.. I think i have givin enough chances
Adam: You are spending more on staffing people to support me than you are making from me as a customer.
Mike: Yes, the reason is that, there is some problem with the server and is about to be solved.

This took an hour to get ahold of somone and as you can see, I really got no information from him. I never got an email that was promised from the sys admin explaining the situation. And it was not fixed even 8 hours later.

I had to email them 3 more times (last time in bold and caps) to get them to honor their money back guarentee. It's been 2 weeks and no refund yet. How do these places guarentee 99.9% uptime?

Dot 5 is BUNK

Adamrg
Dec 31, 2004, 03:13 AM
http://www.ussbrewton.com/Dot5Hosting.htm

Its so bad its funny.

Diatribe
Dec 31, 2004, 04:26 AM
http://www.ussbrewton.com/Dot5Hosting.htm

Its so bad its funny.

Now that was just hilarious. I liked the last two best. How bad can this be? This is just insane, talk about forcing customers to leave. :eek:

pubwvj
Jul 12, 2005, 04:49 PM
I'll put a good word in for the web hosting company I use:

http://vonetwork.com/

I have a reseller account with them simply because I have many domains between farm, family and business. Nirosh, who runs VONetwork out of Texas does an excellent job at a very good price. No phone support and he is sometimes slow to get back to me on something but I'm happy with the services. If you pretty much know what you're doing it is an excellent solution. I'm on a Nix machine with WHM and CPanel.

mkingery
Sep 28, 2006, 09:26 PM
I have never had any problems with dot5hosting my self and I've used them for a while now.

cannedmushrooms
Dec 26, 2006, 02:16 PM
The fact that my site has been down for 2 days now with no support makes me want to warn others of this host.
You get what you pay for and its only $4.95 a month but ask these guys to help you and they will ship you to more addresses than you can count passing the buck to the next dept. I find it funny that the picture of the building their housed in is the size of a dennys restraunt yet they can't have just one dept that fixes the problem. Anyway thats my dealing with them.

dornoforpyros
Dec 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
I have never had any problems with dot5hosting my self and I've used them for a while now.

ohh once post from a newbie supporting dot5hosting, real desecrate guys. :rolleyes:

cannedmushrooms
Dec 27, 2006, 10:08 AM
the abuse@dot5hosting.com seems to be on vacation so the support@dot5hosting.com are picking up the slack. Meanwhile closet@dot5hosting.com is confused on their role is on the situation. Luckly the situation is being looked at by a special team of admin called makeanewemailtostallthem@dot5hosting.com

anyway did i mention its day three with no support

Feb 12, 2007, 02:46 PM
I originally dumped them in 2004, but they are still listed as the registrar of my domain. I have spent countless time on the phone with dot5 and emails sent. I posted this on my forum too, hopefully more people will see the problems dot5 has and will not choose them as a host.

http://mytechdirect.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7324#7324

jee10
May 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am new to this forum>
I also have my hosting through dot5 as well as a number o my clients.
The dot5 support agents are a bunch of clowns. I have been contacting their support for two days now. I have contacted them 11 times with the same query. All i need them to do is import a database for me because it is larger than 2 MB. Therefore it needs to be done from their side.
Anyway i was lucky enough or unlucky enough(depends how you look at it)
to through the support supervisor with this mater. Here's how the conversation went:
You are now chatting with 'Wilson'
Wil: Thank you for contacting Dot5Hosting Live Chat. How may I assist you today?
Gerhard: Hi Wilson. are you dot5 support supervisor
Wil: Yes I am..
Gerhard: great.. i finally get through to you
Gerhard: lets hope you can help me
Gerhard: do you want me to explain my story or should i give you my ticket number
Wil: I am sorry but I won't be able to access any of the information over here..
Wil: as at this moment we are having a router failure which is the reason many of our servers are having issue..
Wil: including our site..
Wil: and the ticket board..
Gerhard: so how are you going to help me
Wil: which won't allow me to check any tickets..
Wil: I am not sure what your issue is pertaining to..
Gerhard: ok...should i explain the situation, and you can than hoepfully, sort out for me
Wil: sure I will
Wil: try the best from my side..
Gerhard: ok... it' quite simple.
Gerhard: i need to upload a database
Gerhard: but the database is larger than 2 MB
Wil: Okay...
Wil: what is exact size of it..?
Gerhard: therefore it needs to be uploaded from dot5 side. am i correct in saying this
Gerhard: its 18MB
Wil: alright.. so that is something which can be done by the level 2 techs..
Wil: and I assume there is a request forwarded in the form of a ticket..
Wil: am I correct..?
Gerhard: ok.. good to hear that it can be done
Gerhard: i have submitted more than one ticket
Gerhard: and this is the 11th time i am contacting dot5 support with the same problem
Gerhard: so you can understand my frustration in this matter
Wil: Okay.. but as I said that can be done by a level 2 tech only... and also you need to ensure that the backup file is there on the server..
Gerhard: yes i can
Gerhard: do you want me to give all the details
Wil: Okay then I would recommend you to upload the file so that someone at level 2 can take care of it..
Gerhard: it has been uploaded and i have given all the information all the 11 times that i have contacted you guys. I have just not received any support or response from dot5. I have only received different excuses from all the agents
Wil: Okay..
Wil: let me see if I can communicate with any level 2 tech..
Gerhard: please get hold of them... i will forward all details again
Gerhard: this is a very urgent matter and needs to be attended to
Wil: I am trying to get hold of them.. but I seriously doubt if I can get hold of anyone..
Wil: so give me a moment..
Gerhard: ok
Wil: I will be right with you.
Gerhard: ok
Wil: alright..
Wil: I am sorry but I could not get hold of any level 2 techs.. coz all of them seems to be engaged in fixing the major issue that I mentioned to you previously..
Wil: so I guess it might take some time to get the database imported for you..
Wil: you can give me the ticket number so that I can have some one look into it once the things are back on track..
Gerhard: what is so difficult in importing a db
Gerhard: why can't you do it
Wil: I am sorry but I am not authorized to do that..
Wil: so I won't be able to import that for you..
Gerhard: how long have dot5 been having server problems
Wil: It has been like an hour..
Gerhard: oh... so why have i been waiting for two days now, to get this problem sorted out
Wil: I am not sure about it.. but if you are providing me the ticket number I can try to get an update on the same..
Gerhard: the last ticket numebr i have is YUL-192565
Wil: alright thank you for that..
Wil: I will have this one taken care of.. once the things are back on track here..
Gerhard: so why have i been pushed from from one end to the other with this matter
Wil: coz that is how the database import works.. if you have the data more than 2M in size and you are not able to break up the backup file then you won't be able to do that by yourself..
Wil: and that can be done by level 2 techs only..
Wil: Anything else I can help you with?
Gerhard: but you haven't answered my question. why has nothing been done
Wil: I am not sure about it..
Gerhard: if there is a problem, i would like to know about it.
Gerhard: I have read some bad things about your support and did not believe them at first
Gerhard: have a look at this
Gerhard: http://www.ussbrewton.com/Dot5Hosting.htm
Gerhard: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=48863&page=4
Wil: well disappointed to hear that.. but I have repeated about the issue.. that is something which can be done by the senior level techs only..
Gerhard: these are just a few things i have read about dot5 support
Wil: so you do not have any other option than to wait for the issue being resolved..
Gerhard: so why haven't they done anything already
Gerhard: do you understand my frustration?
Wil: Yes I do but nothing that I can do about it..
Gerhard: can i ask you an honest question?
Gerhard: can i
Wil: yes
Gerhard: if you read through our entire conversation. What do you think you have told me
Wil: I told you what I can do for you right in beginning..
Gerhard: which is?
Wil: if the file is more than 2M then I cannot do anything about it..
Wil: it is the senior level techs who needs to look into it..
Gerhard: i know this, that is why i have contacted your support in the first place
Wil: yes.. so you do not have any other option than to wait to get the database restored..
Wil: now is there anything else that I can help you with../
Wil: ?
Gerhard: i know this too... but why is it taking this long.
Wil: I am not sure why it is taking so long.. I have already specified you that I won't be the person working on the issue for yoiu..
Wil: so no use asking this question to me..
Gerhard: it has been two days already, an i have been very patient with this matter
Gerhard: i thought that you as a supervisor will be able to assist me with this query a bit better than your other agents.
Wil: I am sorry but this may be more than that... or less than that..
Wil: I am a supervisor and not a level 2 tech..
Gerhard: but you too, have just repeated the same story over.
Gerhard: and the story is:
Gerhard: our admis are busy with it and it will be done at the earliest
Wil: well that maybe a story for you but that will be the procedure..
Wil: and it cannot be any different to any one..
Gerhard: i understand procedure. I just need to know what is going on. If the problem can be fixed or not.
Wil: I am not sure Gerhard.. I have not seen the file.. I have not worked on the restoration so I won't be able to give any details on the same..
Gerhard: yes i know. But will you be able to advise your 2nd level techs that this is a very urgent matter
Gerhard: and needs to be sorted out asap
Wil: yes I said I will be doing that..
Wil: yes I understand that... and I will be escalating the issue to the senior level techs..
Chat session has ended.

This is where he cut me off.
Anyway the other agents were worse. The problem is still not sorted. They can never give you a straight answer.

barko
May 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
Horrible horrible customer service. Not responsive to email and obviously not concerned about the quality of their phone support people. If you are using them I encourage you to start your transfer out now since it may take quite a while.

Nicolasdec
May 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
WOW they suck.

ChevyChevelle
Jul 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you for posting your comments on "Dot5Hosting", it sounds like I would have made agrave mistaking in hosting with them? :confused:
I was on talk live with them trying to get set up by echeck and while I was chatting with this "person" they just dissapeared and wouldn't answer me back for about 5 minutes.......she could have told me too hang on while she checked for info. But didn't, I finally got it straightened out and was going to be delighted to finally get my site back up again.......hey but you set me straight............thanks!! A ton!!

I used GODaddy.com for two years and recieved a full blunder of info from one of there techs and ultimatley lost 2 years worth of work. A full 82 pages!
I WAS VERY DISSAPOINTED, to say the least.....:mad:..........Before this I had been satisfied with them. :rolleyes:

Now I am looking for another home for my child abuse awareness site! :D

I will check into "A Small Orange" and some others mentioned on this forum. Thanks guys/gals. ;)

dot5hosting
Oct 2, 2007, 02:15 PM
These have to be some of the biggest clowns on the net.
and that is a lot of clowns. They locked me out of my own account after
I noticed the band with use was jacked up sky high...told me they couldn't tell me anything for security reasons when I asked them if it was possible that someone else was using the space illegally. I complained have not been able to access my account since and have another year that was paid upfront. They have not acknowledged my emails. In addition to that they said they registered a domain name only to find out 2 weeks later some one else had registered it
after it was secured online at their site. They suck. there chat especially sucks
save your money. They can not be trusted to be fair.

luckymin1
Feb 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
We have a total of four domain names hosted through dot5. Discovered about a month ago that two of them have been dropped. One of these was acquired by a firm that seeks out domain names that have been used and "dropped." They say they'll sell us our domain name back for $650. In the meantime, we've had countless email conversations with Dot5, during which they said the domains were dropped because of non payment (not true, they were auto paid and I have receipts and credit card records). Each time we get a response from the customer support people, it's a different person, who is absolutely unable to understand what happened. I've attempted to call them, and generally after an hour or two on hold, have to give up. I've attempted to "live chat" with them, again with absolutely no luck. I have told them that they must reinstate one URL immediately (it has not yet been acquired by anyone else) and they must buy back the one they dropped. I have NOT been able to actually talk to a real person. We are so absolutely disgusted with Dot5, and the incredible lack of action. If we EVER get this thing settle, we'll switch hosting companies as quickly as we can.