PDA

View Full Version : What Drum Pads/USB turntables/USB controllers works well with garageband or logic?

gPaul
May 25, 2008, 01:23 AM
So I'm looking for all the above stuff, and I've found it kind of hard to figure out which will work with garageband. I'm using that for now, but might switch to logic eventually. For drum pads I've been looking at the M-Audio Trigger Finger Drum Pad Control Surface and Akai MPD24. Will both these work with mac? Also, I don't really understand how they would work with garageband. Does it just use sounds from the instruments in garageband? or do they come with their own samples? And do the knobs and faders control the actual samples and is each pad programmable?

As far as USB turntables...I'm pretty sure they all work with Macs, but has anyone scratched with them for use of samples? Is any superior for this or what they all work? And do you need a separate program for this or will GB work?

And USB controllers, what exactly can you do that you can't do with a drum pad and/or midi keyboard with controls? Can you like, for say, have an electric guitar as input?

And also...For all this stuff, are any seperate programs/garageband plugins necessary/useful?
BTW, I have 10.4 with ilife 08, oh also, I have iDrum, is this usefull with a drum pad?
Thanks, any help appreciated.

fernmeister
May 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
I use the Korg PadKontrol. All the USB Drum pads have their strengths and weaknesses and thankfully there are lots of reviews online. Also look for videos on YouTube as it is sometimes good to see someone working a unit in a real situation.

The two main advantages of using them over a keyboard for drum programming are that you can map them out like a drum machine, which is handy if you learnt that way and that for some people they feel better for drum parts. It's not the same for everyone, but I "grew up" using grid-based drum machines so the format feels good to me.

They don't have sounds themselves, they trigger sound in the software. Garageband comes with some decent drum samples that will get you going. But there are lots of alternatives out there to expand with. Most people invest a lot in drum sounds, since they are so essential to getting the song going.

The PadKontrol has software that lets you save preset arrangements of pads to drum sounds, but I often set that up for each session. From one piece of software to another the sounds you want and they key location will change and sometimes you want to play different parts of the kit. Once you have the hang of it, this job takes seconds rather than minutes.

Chairman Plow
May 26, 2008, 11:05 AM
My current controller of choice is the M-Audio Axiom25. Has the keys and pads I need. I use Reason and Pro Tools more than I use GB, but the Axiom does the job. Also comes in 49 and 61 key versions.