PDA

View Full Version : powerbook no display or functionality

stsc13
May 25, 2008, 07:31 PM
hi, i work at a school and we have alot of iBook G4's and a few powerbooks.

now my problem is with one of the powerbooks, a 17" G4. it was loaned out to a member of staff and came back buggered.

he told me that he was watching a dvd on it until it stopped and the screen froze with the image of a scene on the film.

he tried to take out the disc, it didn't work. he tried to hold down the power button, it didn't work (apparently). so he took out the battery, but then realized he had the power supply in still connected, so he pulled it (without the battery).

obviously the powerbook turned off, when he restarted there was no display, and the keyboard has no functionality (i.e. no light on the CAPS key or NUMLOCK key). he tried the force eject sequence... command-shift-space?, anyway, the display lit up with the apple start screen (whitey grey with the apple logo in the centre) but the disk did not eject and then the screen went blank again. he brought it in to us and my boss took it apart to get the disc out.

so basically, now the machine will start up, you hear the start 'dong' and the optical drive does its check, and the HD starts to spin, but then it quietens down and there is no display and the keyboard doesn't work, and i cant insert an install disk, as it seems to have a block as if there is a disc still in there (possibly because the dvd didn't come out as normal) and there's no display on an external monitor.

any ideas? would be GREATLY appreciated... :apple:

alphaod
May 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
Force eject is holding the mouse button.

stsc13
May 27, 2008, 02:06 PM
how many laptops do you have with a mouse hard wired? :confused:

its a powerbook, so it has a trackpad and not a mouse in sight...

i believe it to be, command on hold down the trackpad button, i think thats what it reads on the mac support site.

merl1n
May 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
how many laptops do you have with a mouse hard wired? :confused:

its a powerbook, so it has a trackpad and not a mouse in sight...

i believe it to be, command on hold down the trackpad button, i think thats what it reads on the mac support site.

Yes, it's the trackpad button. Upon boot, hold down the button for a while until the disc comes out.

It also sounds like you need the following since he pulled the plug...

1. PMU reset
2. PRAM reset
3. Safe Boot

stsc13
May 28, 2008, 05:51 AM
Yes, it's the trackpad button. Upon boot, hold down the button for a while until the disc comes out.

It also sounds like you need the following since he pulled the plug...

1. PMU reset
2. PRAM reset
3. Safe Boot

but if i safe boot how will i know its working? as i said above i have no display, standard or external.

oh and i just thought, i can't start up in safe mode.. as you have to hold down shift, and that would be a button on the keyboard, to which i have no response from.

merl1n
May 28, 2008, 09:01 AM
but if i safe boot how will i know its working? as i said above i have no display, standard or external.

oh and i just thought, i can't start up in safe mode.. as you have to hold down shift, and that would be a button on the keyboard, to which i have no response from.

The PMU and PRAM reset may take care of the display and keyboard problems.
The only way to know is by doing it.

The SAFE BOOT is to clear other hardware caches and do a file system check and repair.

If the PMU/PRAM resets don't fix the display and keyboard, then yes, you will not be able to perform a SAFE BOOT.

merl1n
May 28, 2008, 09:04 AM
The PMU and PRAM reset may take care of the display and keyboard problems.
The only way to know is by doing it.

The SAFE BOOT is to clear other hardware caches and do a file system check and repair.

If the PMU/PRAM resets don't fix the display and keyboard, then yes, you will not be able to perform a SAFE BOOT.

One more thing, if you have a USB keyboard, try using that for the PRAM reset if the PB keyboard is not functioning.

stsc13
May 28, 2008, 02:23 PM
One more thing, if you have a USB keyboard, try using that for the PRAM reset if the PB keyboard is not functioning.

hey thanks for the inredibly simple idea that i hadnt thought of! :)

will try that and have a go...

athough my thoughts are that it could be the logic board?:confused::eek::mad: