PDA

View Full Version : How to right click on a Mac notebook

MacBytes
May 26, 2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: How to right click on a Mac notebook (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080526013140)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

MacsRgr8
May 26, 2008, 10:10 AM
It's one of those features that I immediately activate after installing Mac OS X.

Even with the Mighty Mouse attached, right-clicking is disabled by default.

A user is not triggered to look for this setting, simply because you can't see the physical right-clicking possibility on the trackpad or mouse....
Especially switchers really want this enabled, and these users are the last to know that it can be switched on. :rolleyes:

Even Apple made it a default setting in Windows if you've installed Boot Camp.

SkyBell
May 26, 2008, 12:01 PM
I recently learned about this feature, and it sure saves time. Though I don't use the trackpad often, and when I do, I usually forget about it and use the CTRL + Click method. :o

nagromme
May 26, 2008, 01:23 PM
The welcome/setup process on a new Mac ought to ask just a FEW questions--even a single screen with 3 to 5 questions--to help people customize certain very common prefs that they might not come across right away as brand-new Mac users.

This would be a good pref to offer that way. Or even just ask this ONE question on an existing screen.

costabunny
May 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
The cool thing on the MBA is the 'two finger' right click - hold two fingers on the pad and click gives the RMB :) very nice apple :)

I do dislike the default RMB disabled in Leopard tho for Mouses that have a RMB function. annoying but at least its easily resolved.

Axemantitan
May 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
I think it would be a lot easier if Apple would just divide the extra-large button below the trackpad into a left and a right button.

Satori
May 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think it would be a lot easier if Apple would just divide the extra-large button below the trackpad into a left and a right button.

Not if your used to the one button. Whenever I use a PC trackpad, I'm always accidentally right-clicking when I want to left click.:p

SamoanDude
May 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
Having to do all that just to right click sucks. Just add 2 buttons like the rest of the PC makers and be accepted and done with it. /start flame here/

ajchapinjr.com
May 26, 2008, 11:07 PM
The cool thing on the MBA is the 'two finger' right click - hold two fingers on the pad and click gives the RMB :) very nice apple :)

This feature is not exclusive to the MBA/multi touch pads... not sure if thats what you were getting at. My 1.83GHz white MacBook has it too. Just throwing that out there.

I also really love it.

redAPPLE
May 27, 2008, 12:33 AM
Having to do all that just to right click sucks. Just add 2 buttons like the rest of the PC makers and be accepted and done with it. /start flame here/

what a stupid idea. :D have you seen how ugly those pc trackpads are?

ankitmathur
May 27, 2008, 05:23 AM

A trackpad like the Might mouse would be great where the button appears to be one but can be configured to behave otherwise. I hope that can satisfy one and all.

wordmunger
May 27, 2008, 05:42 AM
I have to agree, the two-fingered right click is awkward. That said, I hate two-button trackpads. It's hard to left-click with those. There's no really easy way to offer two-button functionality on a trackpad. I'd say the Mac system is the lesser of two evils.

Switz213
May 27, 2008, 07:29 AM
I love my dual finger click= right mouse on my macbooks. Use it all the time, one of my fave features.

nagromme
May 27, 2008, 12:56 PM
Of course people like what they are used to, and change is going to be annoying.

But that aside, I think having ONE button--the whole button--work as two (the way Mac laptops do) is a very good thing.

If the button is divided, then for most operations you have to hold your thumb still (resting on the left button) while moving the rest of your hand on the pad. Very awkward, and even painful. Right-clicking is even more awkward I find.

And I really like the ever-growing trackpads on laptops--like my Air. A split button would mean you couldn't use the whole pad.

Better to have BOTH kinds of clicking available no matter WHERE your thumb is. So you can keep your hand in whatever position you find comfortable. And lowering a second finger onto the pad is easy. The finger's already right there :)

My only criticism is that it should be more obvious how to enable this.

surferfromuk
Jun 1, 2008, 12:10 PM
Right Click with a Mighty mouse...

Go to preferences - Keyboard & Mouse - Mouse

Instead of launching Dashboard when you primary click with the scroll ball down set it to right click...

If you haven't done this you will not believe how cool and easy it is -

Left click - standard big click
Right Click - standard big click but with finger on scroll ball

Apple should DEFAULT all mac's to do this from the box and this terrible crap myth would go away...dashboard already has a dedicated F key and an icon!

macbwizard
Jun 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
I say get rid of the button! I haven't used the button on my MBP for such a long time.

I prefer the tap to click setting, so I tap the trackpad with one finger to left click, and tap with two fingers to right click. Am I alone in doing it this way?

Peruvian
Jun 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
I say get rid of the button! I haven't used the button on my MBP for such a long time.

I prefer the tap to click setting, so I tap the trackpad with one finger to left click, and tap with two fingers to right click. Am I alone in doing it this way?

Im with you bro....

kuwisdelu
Jun 1, 2008, 01:41 PM

I'm with you, too!

I was so disappointed to see the trackpads on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros weren't as big as the one on the Air's. I'd love to have that much more trackpad space.

And I definitely agree that having two physical buttons like on PC laptops is awkward, ugly, and uncomfortable. It was always difficult to maneuver my thumb over to the right-click button. But on my MacBook, I never have to move my thumb at all. Hell, I never even have to use it. I can just keep my fingers on the trackpad where they are whether I want to click or right-click. What could be better?

niemo810
Jun 5, 2008, 07:36 PM

I really don't like just tapping the trackpad for a click. I'd rather actually press a button. I always end up clicking on things I don't want to if I just have tap to click enabled. I don't know what I would do if they ever got rid of it!

ingenious
Jun 5, 2008, 09:12 PM

No. Absolutely not. Split-button trackpads are atrocious and really hard to use, IMO. I'm a right-hander and i click with my right thumb. When I use PC laptops, I'm constantly right clicking on things.

And don't even get me started on the tap to click. It's a horrible idea. I know I'm not the only one who is constantly clicking and dragging things with it... ugh... :rolleyes:

Sorry. It's a soapbox. :D