Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
An unwitting passenger arriving at Japan's Narita airport has received 142g of cannabis after a customs test went awry, officials say.

A customs officer hid a package of the banned substance in a side pocket of a randomly chosen suitcase in order to test airport security.

Sniffer dogs failed to detect the cannabis and the officer could not remember which bag he had put it in.

Anyone finding the package has been asked to contact customs officials.

"This case was extremely regrettable. I would like to deeply apologise," said Narita International Airport's customs head Manpei Tanaka.

Strict laws

The customs officer conducted the test on a passenger's bag against regulations. Normally a training suitcase is used.

"I knew that using passengers' bags is prohibited, but I did it because I wanted to improve the sniffer dog's ability," the officer was quoted as saying.

"The dogs have always been able to find it before... I became overconfident that it would work," he said.

Japan has strict laws against drugs and possession of small amounts of cannabis can lead to a prison sentence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7419969.stm

Apparently it has a street value of $10,000. How would the poor passenger try explaining being in possession of the drugs to a police officer?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That was stupid. I know in the US the test bags they use are bags that have gone unclaimed at the airport. So they still have everything from the person in them. It was stupid using a real passages bag. When they do the test in the US they will put the random bag among real bags but since it does not belong to any one it is not as much of a problem.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
$10,000? That's $70 a gram!

Cripes! Weed sure must expensive in Japan, or the 'official' street price is a bit 'high'.

And 142g is about 5 ounces. That's a big bag. Either those dogs are due for replacement or that wasn't very good pot. :)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I don't know why- I found this juxtaposition funny.

Attachments

• Picture 22.png
    Picture 22.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 118

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i love the google ads for vienna-tokyo flights + hotel ads at the bottom of this thread ...

that said i wonder where this bag will end up ... the only way it could get more comical is the finder bringing the bag back minus X grams, only to be charged for drug use ;)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
i love the google ads for vienna-tokyo flights + hotel ads at the bottom of this thread ...

that said i wonder where this bag will end up ... the only way it could get more comical is the finder bringing the bag back minus X grams, only to be charged for drug use ;)

Be funny if someone goes to the police with an empty bag and an explanation:
"My dog FOUND IT, ate it...." =p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wow thats quite a mixup. can't find the stuff if it doesn't go through the line you want it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.