PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini and plasma screen???

cvzyl
May 26, 2008, 02:36 PM
I am considering a Samsung plasma screen which I want to connect to my Mac mini. Would the mini be able to send 1366x768 resolution via a D-sub connector to the plasma screen?

Cobus

EricNau
May 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, according to Apple's website:

"VGA video output (using included adapter) to support analog resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels."

Link (http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html)

xxjuicymintxx
Jun 1, 2008, 04:25 AM
Should be able to produce a nice image.
I'd like to have a home theater setup w/ a Mini.

sfroom
Jun 1, 2008, 11:54 AM
Depending on what you are planning to use the setup for, I might recommend LCD over plasma.

For video playback, plasma is definitely the way to go.

However, for everyday computing, and particularly for reading text, LCD's produce sharper text, as far as I know. My understanding is that modern plasmas use some kind of image vibration to prevent burnin, which is unnoticeable while watching video content, but apparently very noticeable when trying to read small text.

LCD's are also lighter, which facilitates wall mounting, and are generally cheaper these days.

italiano40
Jun 1, 2008, 12:05 PM
For a home theater i recommend XBMC For Macs XBMC for Mac OSX 10.5.2 (http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/wiki/WikiStart)

flopticalcube
Jun 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
The mini can drive the plasma the question is does the plasma have a decent resolution on the D-sub? Many TVs have only a limited number of resolutions available on their PC inputs. I would agree with sfroom and italiano40, LCD is the way to go for computing and plasma running OSXBMC for a HT. My LG plasma only takes 1024X768 on the VGA input but OSXBMC lets me correct the output to compensate for the stretching from 4:3 to 16:9.

sfroom
Jun 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
My LG LCD displays 1360x768, which is very close to its native resolution, and is an available resolution on the video cards of my brother's macbook, my sister's macbook pro, and my old 24" iMac.

Text is very legible. If you plan on doing any computer gaming which requires reading text, i.e. playing world of Warcraft, I highly recommend an LCD. I've been quite pleased with it.