PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning advice

killermink
Nov 25, 2003, 06:27 PM
Hello all,

Just got a AlBook 15in 1.25 FW800 (not sure on the correct way to class it!), and have been using it with the whole 80gb drive as one partition...

My first question is is it possible to add partitions without formating the disk? ive got a lot of stuff on there already and don't really want to have to burn it all to DVD first...

Secondly, regardless of the answer to above, how do I set up the partitions for 10.3? Basically want a partition for System and Apps (should they stay together?), one for data, or rather Users, one for swap, one for music so I can share between users and maybe one final one as a scratch disk and temp area. is that too many (5)? Is there any way to set them up at install time (I know you can create at install, but I mean assigning them for use by 10.3), or does it all need to be set up afterwards by manually editing the fsstab thing?

Excuse my ignorance in this, just every OS I have installed previously makes this relatively easy with options at install, and I can't find a definitive website with the answer on...

Many many thanks,

killermink

killermink
Nov 25, 2003, 06:30 PM
Sorry, i was meant to post this in General Apple and Tech, but somewhere in registration got redirected back to this topic.

Then again, most of what I read appears to be related to pre-10.3, maybe thats why I don't get it... are there major FS differences in 10.3?

killermink