Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
seeing as apple allows you the option to buy songs without drm protection, is there a way to strip the drm on all my previous itunes purchases?

i would like to load up the songs on my desktop but i forgot the password for the songs. however, i did figure it out once when i got my mb like 2 years ago so now im trying to save myself the trouble of burning a lot of cds and reimporting them unprotected

most of my itunes protected stuff is the free giveaways and samplers from facebook back in the day

thanks for any help and the time you would save as i know there has to be a software solution

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
No. Although for qualifying songs you can upgrade to an iTunes Plus (DRM free) version for about 30% of the full purchase price. However, I don't believe this is applicable for free downloads.

Although if you google "strip iTunes drm" your bound to come across the type of solution you're looking for.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
No. Although for qualifying songs you can upgrade to an iTunes Plus (DRM free) version for about 30% of the full purchase price. However, I don't believe this is applicable for free downloads.

Although if you google "strip iTunes drm" your bound to come across the type of solution you're looking for.

yea i saw that upgrade song price thing and i think thats lame imo

i just dont want to spend a couple hrs burning music from my mb and importing it on my desktop ugh

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I actually found that the easiest way was to rip the songs to CD and reimport, not ideal but everything else I tried via a Google search was more trouble than this.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I actually found that the easiest way was to rip the songs to CD and reimport, not ideal but everything else I tried via a Google search was more trouble than this.

yea i hate that method.

actually found a program drm dumpster which automates the burning to cdrw and import so you never have to take cd out

seems good to me

Maugustyn

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
hey i had a smiler problem and ended up just using 2 dvds to transfer music files. it was quick and easy and beats using 20+ cds. good luck with that

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have software that records the output stream and encodes it 4x real-time, but I find no need to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.