PDA

View Full Version : Does Powerbooks G4 have an apple on the back of the screen?

kwfl
May 26, 2008, 08:09 PM
hi, It is not really that big deal, but

i wasnt in the mac world before the MBP, however i see some machines on TV shows that look like the MBP but they dont have the apple on the back. I think they are the powerbooks. Are they?

May 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's possible that they are Powerbooks, although the reason they don't have an Apple on the back most likely is because the show doesn't want to feature the Apple product so they put a sticker over the Apple. Powerbook G4 do have apples on the back of them though.

iSaint
May 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
To answer your question, yes.

I understand that when commercialized props are needed, fees are paid for display of a brand name or logo. The director may decide to cover something up for the purpose of the shot, and to avoid such fees.

kornyboy
May 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I can also confirm this having owned several PowerBooks in the past, all of which had apple logos on the back. The earlier ones had very small multicolored logos.

EricNau
May 26, 2008, 08:15 PM
I understand that when commercialized props are needed, fees are paid for display of a brand name or logo. The director may decide to cover something up for the purpose of the shot, and to avoid such fees.
Wouldn't the featured company be the one paying for their product placement? I always assumed the logos were covered when the company didn't pay; essentially the producers don't want to give away free advertising, which could affect their income from product placement.

Warbrain
May 26, 2008, 08:17 PM
All G3+ PowerBooks had Apples on the back. PowerBook G3 had upside-down Apples and they were upright and lit since.

kwfl
May 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
Wouldn't the featured company be the one paying for their product placement? I always assumed the logos were covered when the company didn't pay; essentially the producers don't want to give away free advertising, which could affect their income from product placement.

i agree with you. Many TV shows are showing apple products, House MD, Boston Legal, you name it. This is advertising for apple and i expect apple to be paying for it.

I have seen the MBP-like computers when watching Boston Legal, Season 2. I remeber seeing the OSX inside, however in the back, they didnt have the apple logo. However, it does not seem like it is convered. It has the same view from the side, i mean the ethernet, DVI, Firewire Ports. It is aliminium. Probably i will get you a screenshot of it. :D (is it that serious!)

Boston Legal season 2 was filmmed around 2005 which is supportive to the idea they were powerbooks.

JBaker122586
May 27, 2008, 02:16 AM

Correct.
The TV show CAN show whichever logo they'd like. Sometimes it has to do with not wanting to give away free advertising. Oftentimes, however, it has to do with avoiding sponsorship conflict.
If Dell, for example, is a high-paying sponsor of a show, they might blur out the Apple logo because of Dell's financial interest in the show.

Chundles
May 27, 2008, 02:22 AM
OK folks, here's the way it happens and this is straight from the horse's mouth.

Apple DO NOT pay for product placement. A producer may ask Apple for a fee to include their products in the film/TV Show to which Apple will say "No." The director will then be instructed to cover the logo to prevent the product placement from occurring or to leave it uncovered to lend the brand's identity to the show.

There have been a few cases in the past where Apple have had an arrangement with the show such as on the US version of The Office however this is usually instigated by Apple and is exceedingly rare.

Dagless
May 27, 2008, 02:48 AM
Funnily enough I've seen plenty of PowerBooks/MBP's on BBC shows (such as Spooks), it's usually printed adverts and news reports where they hide the logo.

viggen61
May 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
All G3+ PowerBooks had Apples on the back. PowerBook G3 had upside-down Apples and they were upright and lit since.

I think Steve changed that for the original Titanium G4...

On the Lombard & Pismo PB G3, the white Apple was "correct" when the PB was closed on the desk in front of the user, but upside-down when presented to "potential customers"...:(

So Steve, or someone else got that changed for the Ti PowerBook, and all others since so that the Apple is "correct" for the "potential customer"...:D

On the Pismo, at least, it is lit by the LCD backlight. Also, if you turn the backlight off, and shine light through the Apple, you'll get a small, vaguely apple-shaped splotch of light on the screen.