Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Any way to get my Canon CRW raw files to work in iPhoto? I don't really want to convert them to standard format, I wan to preserve the ability to adjust the raw file.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Any way to get my Canon CRW raw files to work in iPhoto? I don't really want to convert them to standard format, I wan to preserve the ability to adjust the raw file.
You could always download the photos from your camera using PSE6, work on the photos as you wish, and then import those that you like or want into iPhoto.

An "Easy Install" of PSE6 should also install Bridge, which in turn will take care of downloading the photos from your camera. Bridge is quite fast compared to iPhoto. I have no idea if CS3 does the same since I only use PSE6.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
RAW files from a variety of Canon cameras are handled natively in iPhoto 06 and iPhoto 08. You can edit them in iPhoto (the edited file being saved as a jpeg, leaving the RAW original untouched so you can go back to it and do different adjustments later) or open them in an external editor to manipulate them (e.g. PS). Is there something beyond that which you want to do?

Aron Peterson

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
North Carolina

iPhoto can't handle anything well. I tried to use it to categorize graphics and icons. Hopeless color management.

Last edited:

macdot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
RAW files from a variety of Canon cameras are handled natively in iPhoto 06 and iPhoto 08. You can edit them in iPhoto (the edited file being saved as a jpeg, leaving the RAW original untouched so you can go back to it and do different adjustments later) or open them in an external editor to manipulate them (e.g. PS). Is there something beyond that which you want to do?
For some reason my camera isn't supported.

Thanks for the PSE suggestion. Anyone else out there know any free alternatives? I'm planning on getting CS4 when it comes out, but until then I'd prefer not to buy PSE.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Is there a difference in RAW formats between Canon cameras?

Seems strange. I shoot an EOS DSLR, import RAW (CRW) files via the EOS Utility (where I can batch rename them per my own conventions), then import into iPhoto. The resulting RAW (CRW) images are available just fine in iPhoto.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
What camera are you using? If you are using CHDK to get RAW, then iPhoto and others are not likely to be able to read your crw files. You need to pass it through an intermediary program first, and convert to tiff or dng.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I think iPhoto 08 supports all current Canon raw formats. Is your camera and older one that was never suported?

is there a difference in RAW formats between Canon cameras?

Yes. Every camera uses it's own format. Nikon does the same thing. "raw" means data right off the sensor so the format ofthe file depaend on which sensor is inside.

If you camera is not handled you will have to convert the raw files to some other format. If you convert to jpg you loose color depth but you can convert to 16-bit per cannle TIFF format and not loose any information that was in your raw files. But be warned 48 bit tiff files are huge. I'm sure the camera came with software that will convert the files. If not canon has it on their web site. There are also any number of converter programs. Some of them are free. Most all of the frre ones are based on "dcraw" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dcraw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.